Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2018 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭OldRio

Drizzle and showers this morning. Raining now for the last 40 minutes. County Leitrim.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

27C now at Dunshaughlin. Still some sun but it is becoming more cloudy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Good sunny spells has now made the temp shoot up to 25.9c ......... lets just say 26c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Are we likely to get any of the very extreme heat being discussed in England? They're predicting mid 30s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

EdgeCase wrote: »
    Are we likely to get any of the very extreme heat being discussed in England? They're predicting mid 30s.
    No. We'll never see anything in the mid 30s in this country.
    Temperatures into the 30s are not that unusual in south east England, I think the record is around 38c in that part of the world?
    26.2c now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Light rain on and off all day in east Galway
    Sticky !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

EdgeCase wrote: »

very unlikely. From tomorrow temperatures in Ireland ranging high teens to low 20s. Next weekend cooler again here with temperatures generally in the teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Meanwhile, UK has reached 33.3c making it the warmest day of the year so far there.

Where exactly? It's 32 c here and humid. I know how people who hate cold weather, and want to see an end to it, feel now:p
    They say it could get up to 35c by Wednesday:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Where exactly? It's 32 c here and humid. I know how people who hate cold weather, and want to see an end to it, feel now:p
    They say it could get up to 35c by Wednesday:(

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1021396745199075328

Thanks. It looks a nice spot. Did you say recently that the CFS charts were suggesting the blocking could continue on into the Autumn?

• Advertisement

Thanks. It looks a nice spot. Did you say recently that the CFS charts were suggesting the blocking could continue on into the Autumn?

CFS keeps changing for August, never mind Autumn :p. I have been saying though that I expect Ireland to be under an Atlantic influence for August but there will still be a blocking area of high pressure over Scandinavia that will try to keep the Atlantic at bay meaning staying fairly warm but only on 1989 and 1996 levels which is like 0.1 to 0.8c above average, so nothing remarkable. I am hoping I am wrong.

In terms of Autumn (using the majority of the CFS runs over the past few weeks), there has been a signal for a wet and cool September, an anticyclonic October whilst November becomes very zonal, mild and wet.

next week/first week of August is showing potential again for another very warm or hot spell of weather. After next weekends cooldown, the heat may get going again for us into the following week. Certainly something to keep an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

28 degrees now at phoenix park in Dublin. Cracker of a day though a bit humid for my liking. Really are getting picky now! Is it true that there may be more hot weather on the way for late July and early August? this really is the gift that keeps on giving

28 degrees now at phoenix park in Dublin. Cracker of a day though a bit humid for my liking. Really are getting picky now! Is it true that there may be more hot weather on the way for late July and early August? this really is the gift that keeps on giving

at the moment it looks like another potentially very warm spell to come after next weekend into the first week of August, but it's too far away right now and this could change.

For the south-east of England it looks like no end in sight to the very hot conditions there. I reckon there could be a 35C there at some point later this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

Roasting and I mean roasting in south Dublin along the coast. I've never experienced that dead level of heat here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

I've had a high of 27.7C today which was not quite as high as yesterday's 28.2C. It's currently 25.8C.

still very warm here in Dunshaughlin, sun back again after a cloudy hour and currently 27C.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

very warm in Cork City and very heavy/humid. Just changed the bed sheets and I am drenched!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Car read 27.5ºc in Bray. My stint in my car with aircon was my only respite from this incredible stuffy heat. I could literally feel the sweat being pulled off my skin and out of my shorts and t-shirt by the aircon.

CFS keeps changing for August, never mind Autumn :p. I have been saying though that I expect Ireland to be under an Atlantic influence for August but there will still be a blocking area of high pressure over Scandinavia that will try to keep the Atlantic at bay meaning staying fairly warm but only on 1989 and 1996 levels which is like 0.1 to 0.8c above average, so nothing remarkable. I am hoping I am wrong.

In terms of Autumn (using the majority of the CFS runs over the past few weeks), there has been a signal for a wet and cool September, an anticyclonic October whilst November becomes very zonal, mild and wet.

Hopefully then come December the blocking takes over again. I'd say you're right about August and September, at least no one will be heard to complain about it raining if it happens.
    By the way do you agree with the poster who said the maximum temperature record set in Ireland cannot be trusted as being an accurate reading?
    I think the post might have been in After Hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

MJohnston wrote: »
    Any of the weather experts out there know why the conditions in Dublin feel so much more "humid" than they actually are? Look at the Relative Humidity, all 3 Dublin stations are basically around 61% RH, which I guess means the DP is around 16C?

And yet, it feels so wet and sticky in the air. Is our understanding of what humidity feels like just not correct? Or is there some other measurable factor that determines this?

Or, alternatively, is it just because the 3 weather stations aren't subject to the urban heat island effect, and that is making the city feel so much hotter?

I'm far from an expert but with temperatures in the mid 20's you usually expect to see humidity at 30-40% in this part of the world, 61% is actually fairly high for these temperatures. Even in the tropics it's typically 60-70% with a temperature around 30C and that definitely feels extremely oppressive.

Just looking at Bangkok today, its currently 27C with 77% humidity, we're not quite at those levels but not all that far off it

Hopefully then come December the blocking takes over again. I'd say you're right about August and September, at least no one will be heard to complain about it raining if it happens.
    By the way do you agree with the poster who said the maximum temperature record set in Ireland cannot be trusted as being an accurate reading?
    I think the post might have been in After Hours.

I didn't see the post. I'm personally not skeptical of the reading but it was such a long time ago that you would think it'd be beaten by now and it hasn't which I cannot blame some people for being skeptical of. Kinda ridiculous to think that the closest we've gotten to it is 32.5c yet the UK have beaten their all-time record 3 times since 1900.

I'll say for now that an unsettled September would be an excellent start for the Winter signals (if you read last year's 2017-18 forecast you'd know what I'm getting at) :).

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

I think the post might have been in After Hours.[/quote
    I’ll be complaining LOL
    Where is my fellow sun lover /rain hater Clonmel gone to ?

Even in the tropics it's typically 60-70% with a temperature around 30C and that definitely feels extremely oppressive.

I ended up with a head cold in those conditions- i was going from a nice cold room to sweating within a few minutes of being outside. Two weeks of it was enough.

Thank godness conditions like that don't happen here. I pity anyone who has to live with that kind of humidity as the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

looking on met.ie looks like Dublin is todays star pupil. Warm here but nothing like high 20s.

Separately, where do I find daily records for the met stations do you know? interested to see how many days in a row there have been daily maxes of over 20c. Im thinking some stations must have 40 or so in a row at this stage.

looking on met.ie looks like Dublin is todays star pupil. Warm here but nothing like high 20s.

Separately, where do I find daily records for the met stations do you know? interested to see how many days in a row there have been daily maxes of over 20c. Im thinking some stations must have 40 or so in a row at this stage.

https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/daily-data

To save going through individual dates in the above, you can look at the historical data page for May and June 2018 (not July 'til early August):

https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/historical-data

I can make some graphs for you if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Phoenix Park got to "almost 28 degrees" today, according to the 17:59 Radio 1 bulletin from Glasnevin. So somewhere between 27.5 and 27.9.

Here are the max synops for today.

27.3 - Casement (highest hourly dewpoint 18.7)
    26.7 - Dublin Airport (highest hourly dewpoint 18.8)
    26.1 - Oak Park (highest hourly dewpoint 19.3).

The wind at Casement at its warmest hours was around 230 ° (SW), so not much chance of any Föhn heating. The highest dewpoints were all reported before lunch, earlier than the highest temperatures, and dewpoints are now down to around 15-16 at these stations.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

23.3c now in Dublin 16....looks like rain very close by!

Edit: Is raining now...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

I hate this dull humid weather. Because of the rain or threat of it you have to go around with raincoat + then your roasting. Much prefer nice sunny day even if not as hot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Very humid here but cloudy in the NE. Any chance of us getting some of the sun the UK is getting?

Advertisement