Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2018 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

As I threatened earlier in the week I have looked at daily max temps for Cork airport since mid June to see how many consecutive days there have been with maxes of 20c plus. I thought there might be an unbroken stretch since mid June as we have kind of hung on to the heat here all the time relative to further north.

In fact there isnt an unbroken month but there very nearly was. Every day since 23 June has seen maxes in the 20s except 15 July (18.3) and 16 July (19.6 - which does round up to 20c). I wondered why I couldnt remember this anomalous afternoon of 15 July when it was so relatively cold but then realised it was the day of the WC Final so it completely passed me by!

Given Cork airport is at a height and usually cooler than Cork city, its possible some places in the city area have in fact been above 20c everyday now for a month. Either way, 29 (or 30 if rounding up) out of 31 days isnt bad! As today was over 20c too the run is still continuing for now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭boccy23

Small "sundog" earlier(Castlebar)
    37726461_2201622096521568_6275095984238231552_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=dcc860639ff83f32a1fb3042c93c24d1&oe=5BD343D9

What are these? Saw one here in Kildare on Monday evening as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

20 degrees and blue skies here in Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Mostly cloudy in Dublin 13 for the moment.

Already 18c at Phoenix Park at 09:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's been sunny in Glasnevin all morning. It's 17.4C now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Hazy sunshine here in kildare temps up to 19c ..lovely morning..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Could get very warm or even hot in parts of Leinster today, maybe up to 27c locally.

Keep an eye on next week when heat could be building again and the weather turning a lot more settled and sunnier.

gfs-0-192.png?6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Where did this come from? Fairly sure the ME forecast yesterday said mostly cloudy today with sunny spells confined to the evening but we've had unbroken sunshine all morning here. Another beautiful day :)

Where did this come from? Fairly sure the ME forecast yesterday said mostly cloudy today with sunny spells confined to the evening but we've had unbroken sunshine all morning here. Another beautiful day :)

Don't know about being confined to the evening but it for sure said mostly cloudy.

The forecast is to be warm and sunny in the east, more showery in the west. For tomorrow there will be rain in the west but hazy sunshine elsewhere. Today temperatures will be in the low to mid twenties; tomorrow warmer. Then becoming less warm with some rain or showers for the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Another beautiful day in Dublin today. Sunny and 22 degrees at 2pm. Should see that climb a good bit through the day towards 27.
    The past week has been really warm here in Dublin, long may it please continue. It seems that while the west benefited with the highest temperatures in June, the east has really delivered over the past couple of weeks. I am heading west in the coming days, just hoping that the weather doesn't go pear shaped when I go there!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

A completely and utterly unexpected 23.7c currently here in West Clare. Beautifully sunny too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

25/26 degrees according to the car here in Cork city. Some clouds around but mostly blue

Gurteen at 23.2c and Oak Park at 23.0c at 15:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Spent a couple of hours on the beach. A good bit cooler due to the SE sea breeze. Back inland it's tipping 25c and hardly a breeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

boccy23 wrote: »
    What are these? Saw one here in Kildare on Monday evening as well.

Upper atmosphere ice crystals lit up by the sun.

Could get very warm or even hot in parts of Leinster today, maybe up to 27c locally.

Keep an eye on next week when heat could be building again and the weather turning a lot more settled and sunnier.

After that, some models seem keen on retrograding the high pressure back to us and to the north of the UK with cold air from the Arctic flooding into Russia and parts of Europe, basically early June this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Farmer2017

sryanbruen wrote: »
    After that, some models seem keen on retrograding the high pressure back to us and to the north of the UK with cold air from the Arctic flooding into Russia and parts of Europe, basically early June this year.

If u were too put money on it how would you say August will turn out

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

JCX BXC wrote: »
    A completely and utterly unexpected 23.7c currently here in West Clare. Beautifully sunny too.

Up to 24.8c now. Quite windy and low humidity so does not feel as hot.

Looking at the Met Éireann reports it seems that the heat and sunshine is not mainly in the east. It's spread across the country more.

• Advertisement

Maxima at 16:00

Gurteen - 24.4
    Casement Aerodrome - 24.4
    Mullingar - 24.3
    Oak Park - 23.8
    Shannon Airport - 23.3

Farmer2017 wrote: »
    If u were too put money on it how would you say August will turn out

I would never put any money on weather even hypothetically speaking :P.

Anyway, August is proving to be a mess of a month in its outlook.

The trend of the CFSv2 model for the past few days has been for the high pressure to retrograde back towards us during August than directly over Scandinavia which would mean a repeat performance of June pretty much. The latest run shows quite the potential for a thundery August but staying warm or hot.

The CFSv2 ensembles are similar but perhaps even more unsettled:

https://twitter.com/WorldClimateSvc/status/1021742103884427266

My analogue for August 2018 was for a thundery and more unsettled month with a knife edge between hot and cool.

The short range models have started to show at least the first half of August to stay warm and mostly dry especially later on with short cooler, unsettled interludes.

I'm afraid you'll have to wait 'til signals clear up and everything becomes more certain for August.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lovely sunny wind.. West Mayo offshore island

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭BliainanAir

Shannon Car Park, sorry i mean airport, 25C at 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Glorious evening, keep them coming :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another very warm day here. 25C reached this afternoon. This week including last Sunday is really giving the June heatwave a run for it's money in terms of high temperatures in south-east Meath. Could reach 27C here tomorrow before much cooler air sweeps in for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A lovely bright afternoon in Castlebar after a dull morning, 23.4C currently making it the warmest day here since the 4th of July.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Surprised it got so warm here near Tralee getting up to 24.6C earlier, 21.6C now in a SSW breeze . More cloud about this evening but very pleasant nonetheless.

nevmAil.png

The east wind is back which is causing it to feel a bit fresher near the east coast, and probably warmer out west although at 24.2C it feels quite pleasant here .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Clouds lifted in the North East today. Nice breeze and blue sky's , just perfect.

Advertisement