Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2018 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Synop maxima today:

25.3 - Gurteen
    25 1 - Shannon
    25.0 - Casement
    24.8 - Oak Park
    24.3 - Mullingar

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

could be very warm in parts of Leinster tomorrow, 27C maybe 28C is possible tomorrow.

Over in the UK the Met Office are predicting 36C to be reached in the London area on Friday.

Saturday looks very cool here, particularly the western half of the country where temperatures may struggle to get past 15C, feeling more like Autumn. Even in Leinster Saturday's temperatures may not get above 18C in most locations. Slightly warmer again from Sunday.

This weekend's cool spell could possibly be very short lived with strong signs of heat building from next Tuesday/Wednesday leading to a very warm or hot weekend next weekend, so heatwave conditions may be back in about a week's time. Certainly worth keeping an eye on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Wasnt expecting the warm temperatures to get this far west today were hovering around 24 for part of the day. Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Blissful evening.

Grange Abbey today vs 2 March.

Ji5LWPw.jpg

VTzjlpo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Hi All,

I have to do a volunteer bat survey in west Limerick between 22:00 to 01:30 on a night between Thursday and Monday night. It should be not raining,based on current charts in the T120 range when do you think would be the best night for doing it?

thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

sumtings wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have to do a volunteer bat survey in west Limerick between 22:00 to 01:30 on a night between Thursday and Monday night. It should be not raining,based on current charts in the T120 range when do you think would be the best night for doing it?

thanks!

There might be a window for those hours tomorrow night in Limerick after the front clears and before the next rain arrives in the early hours.

Friday night looks dodgy
    Sat night looks wet / showers also.

Sun night possible but showers maybe.
    Monday night possible but again would need to check for the possibility of showers.

Met Eireann earlier talking about uncertainty with the timing of rainfall. If tomorrow night looks decent I would take it as it could be showery over the weekend.

Best of luck by the way. Have built a few Bat houses with a few visitors and built a Bat Nursery but my dimensions were out I reckon so just a couple of visits although birds used to roost in it :) and have ponds that attracts bats when it is not cluttered with pond plants and bullrushes. Gave them a good clearing out during the dry spell so waiting patiently for some rain and will be sitting down there at dusk watching the bats hopefully arrive to take their evening sip .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

First bit of rain starting to appear on the radar, off the Galway coast and Kerry coast?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Top temperatures tomorrow across northern Leinster.

hirlamuk-41-21-0.png?25-23

Up to 23 or 24c in Leinster on Friday.

Rain effecting the western half of the country tomorrow but not amounting to much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Look at those temperatures on the continent they must be getting baked alive. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

mg1982 wrote: »
    Look at those temperatures on the continent they must be getting baked alive. :eek:

Sad amount of deaths so far in Greece

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A lovely autumnal morning.. Strong winds, loud rain drumming on roof, things flying around the garden as I have not anchored stuff yet for AUTUMN.. ;) marine warning, force 6 and upwards...

Dark skies...warm though.

West Mayo; offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Clear sky, sun shining, nice breeze, and looks a great day ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A 26 or 27c max in Co Meath I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

There might be a window for those hours tomorrow night in Limerick after the front clears and before the next rain arrives in the early hours.

Friday night looks dodgy
    Sat night looks wet / showers also.

Sun night possible but showers maybe.
    Monday night possible but again would need to check for the possibility of showers.

Met Eireann earlier talking about uncertainty with the timing of rainfall. If tomorrow night looks decent I would take it as it could be showery over the weekend.

Best of luck by the way. Have built a few Bat houses with a few visitors and built a Bat Nursery but my dimensions were out I reckon so just a couple of visits although birds used to roost in it :) and have ponds that attracts bats when it is not cluttered with pond plants and bullrushes. Gave them a good clearing out during the dry spell so waiting patiently for some rain and will be sitting down there at dusk watching the bats hopefully arrive to take their evening sip .

Thanks Meteorite58! Thursday looking better this morning so this evening it will be. That sounds lovely watching the bats drink at the pond!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

mg1982 wrote: »

The maximum being showed on that map is 35c which is not all that unusual in France. Nothing really out out the ordinary for high summer.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

highdef wrote: »
    The maximum being showed on that map is 35c which is not all that unusual in France. Nothing really out out the ordinary for high summer.

Probably caught out by the scale/legend....can see 40c then 44c....always gets me for a second! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Blustery morning here in Laois..temps reading 19c but feels a lot cooler in that breeze. A brilliant sunny morning early on but total cloud cover now..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Probably caught out by the scale/legend....can see 40c then 44c....always gets me for a second! :)

Was thinking that might be the case. The numbers being show on the scale are coloured cyan whilst the forecast temperatures are white. Granted, they could be easy to mix up for a someone new to the charts but we're all here to learn :)

Breezy and some of the darkest clouds I’ve seen around cork city for a while. Rain is needed pretty badly here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

22C and sunny, more cloud around than yesterday. I'll be happy if we reach 25C today, but that could be tough to reach with increasing cloud on the way.

• Advertisement

a wall of cloud has arrived here already, can still see blue patches to my east. I am hoping for more sunny breaks later and hopefully any rain will keep will away till after dark.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Speaking of which, we're only up to the 19th July and Cork Airport has recorded 150.2 hours of sunshine in July 2018 which is more than it's had for the entirety of July 2016 and 2015 whilst just under 5 hours from the entirety of July 2014. Around 32 more hours 'til it beats July 2017's total of 181.1 hours. Not to mention, Cork Airport's average July monthly sunshine is around 166-168 hours.

In terms of other stations, Dublin Airport has had 141.4 hours up to the 19th July which is relatively sunnier than average for the period but it doesn't stand out. The northwest has had a poor July in terms of sunshine going by my estimates (under 100 hours) as it usually does, a sunny July is a very rare occasion there due to how the zonal pattern works.

I don't expect these to rise dramatically regardless if it turns very wet or staying settled.

Sunshine totals now up to 25th July

Cork Airport - 180.6 hours
    Dublin Airport - 163.0 hours
    Johnstown Castle - 216.9 hours

The sunny southeast is reigning supreme.

Data comes from Met Éireann.

Getting pretty darn close to beating corks record!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Heavy rain in Tralee now. Altetnating between light, moderate and heavy the last couple of hours. Decent rain at last.

clouds have burnt away again and nice spells of sunshine. Not as warm as I was expecting today, currently 23C.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

18.7c and a nice rain rate of 8mm/h.

Got to 20.7c earlier and a max of 25.2c yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

There's a good bit of cloud around here but it's just reached 25C.

just after seeing the RTE lunchtime forecast. Saturday looks really cool, maybe no more than 13 or 14C in places and up to 18C in the warmest spots. It really will be a shock to the system.

The last time we had temperatures with similar values to this Saturday was all the way back to Thursday May 24th.

Why is it gonna feel autumnal this weekend? What is causing it?

Temperature gradients are looking steep over North America with a dip of the jet stream into the eastern seaboard. These contrasts in temperature give the jet stream a bit of "oomph" to form deep lows.

The jet stream goes south towards Iberia but then travels northwards up the eastern coast of Britain. This little dip or kink in the jet stream over Ireland and the UK is where the low pressure sits and with the above taken into consideration, it will be unseasonably windy.

The thickness line of 546 is back for the first time in a while and people will definitely feel its welcome with the autumnal feel.

The reason why this is looking to be temporary is because of it still being fairly weak in nature and the strength of the high pressure over the Azores/to the east of us.

07qWvXC.png

xccN36K.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Farmer2017

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Why is it gonna feel autumnal this weekend? What is causing it?

Temperature gradients are looking steep over North America with a dip of the jet stream into the eastern seaboard. These contrasts in temperature give the jet stream a bit of "oomph" to form deep lows.

The jet stream goes south towards Iberia but then travels northwards up the eastern coast of Britain. This little dip or kink in the jet stream over Ireland and the UK is where the low pressure sits and with the above taken into consideration, it will be unseasonably windy.

The thickness line of 546 is back for the first time in a while and people will definitely feel its welcome with the autumnal feel.

The reason why this is looking to be temporary is because of it still being fairly weak in nature and the strength of the high pressure over the Azores/to the east of us.

07qWvXC.png

xccN36K.png
    Do you see it think this heatwave next week is goin to be permanent for a while or shift after a few days ? Also is the jet stream trying to fight more than in past two months

Advertisement