Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2018 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Very breezy here and temps a degree or two lower than yesterday. Currently 23C after a high of 24C earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

on the radar, it looks like there is another band behind the one currently crossing the country? Is it gonna be multiple bands every so often or?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

on the radar, it looks like there is another band behind the one currently crossing the country? Is it gonna be multiple bands every so often or?

Here's a general idea of what is coming over the next 24 hours:

tempresult_hdo0.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Definitely not as warm as I was hoping for today, 23C at nearby Casement but feels a lot cooler with the breeze. Still, a decent day by most summers standards

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Definitely not as warm as I was hoping for today, 23C at nearby Casement but feels a lot cooler with the breeze. Still, a decent day by most summers standards

yeah certainly lower than what i was expecting too. The wind and cloud certainly keeping things a bit fresher compared to yesterday. Temp here keeps hovering between 23 and 24C all afternoon so still respectful warmth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

16.4C in Castlebar and we have had 12.2mm of rain so far today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Farmer2017 wrote: »
    Do you see it think this heatwave next week is goin to be permanent for a while or shift after a few days ? Also is the jet stream trying to fight more than in past two months

The evolution of the high approaching from the south seems similar to late June but not sure it would last long as that one did.

Jet stream would try to fight more than back in June because this is the time when it slowly regains strength but the problem this year being the sheer power of the anticyclones over the Azores and Scandinavia. If they conjoin, it's mighty trouble if you need rain. I wish I could make it absolutely lash (believe me, a good downpour would be nice even to a sun lover like me) but why I state the uncertainty is that I don't want to give any false dawns and believe anything is likely.

August-October is when the weather can be messed up by tropical cyclone developments so unless it's abnormally quiet during the period then the uncertainty is only going to get worse on where we'll go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

no rain at all on the extreme west coast ,seems to have skipped over us.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

A thing of beauty that Cyclone, well to farmers at least :D

https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/1022508309163728902

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

my god what an epic summer its been in the uk,its a shame the countrywide heatwave coudnt have continued in ireland,looks like some heat may return to ireland next week,gfs last night was showing temperatures of 47 degrees inland in portugal next week.

ukmaxtemp.png

• Advertisement

it will certainly be cooler over the next 5 days or so, but for Leinster nothing exceptionally cool is on the horizon.

These are the predicted highs for Dunshaughlin over the next week, overall looks close to average for the time of year. Sunday looking like the wettest day.

Tomorrow: 22C
    Saturday: 18C
    Sunday: 21C
    Monday: 19C
    Tuesday: 19C
    Wednesday: 21C
    Thursday: 22C

Very heavy shower in cork city right now! Badly needed! First heavy rain since May 12th!

Edit: Lighting up a bit already, turning to a bit of a drizzle.

Fellow corkonions, if you are driving remember this is the first heavy rain in weeks, the roads will be shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Heavy warm rain

my god what an epic summer its been in the uk,its a shame the countrywide heatwave coudnt have continued in ireland,looks like some heat may return to ireland next week,gfs last night was showing temperatures of 47 degrees inland in portugal next week.

If anything I think we have done very well this week. The forecast wasn't looking great for this week at the beginning of last weekend. Infact this week has probably been overall as warm or hotter than the peak of the June heatwave through many parts of Leinster.

Even yesterday there was excellent temperatures and sunshine in the west. Today parts of the west are hitting 24C.

We all take a hit with cooler conditions this weekend, but fingers crossed we will rejoin the heat after next Wednesday.

temperature has shot up here again. Up to 26C now from 24C, still mostly sunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

no rain at all on the extreme west coast ,seems to have skipped over us.

You can see the front nearly making a straight line moving north from Cork up to Donegal, west Mayo and west Galway have been out of the firing line, lucky or unlucky depending on how you see it.

Apperantly parts of cork city have lost power once the rain came? Just heard on RedFM which is strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Beautiful 23deg day in Bray. blue skies all day and a refreshing breeze. Thought this week was much better than expected. eastern Coastal fringe/Bray Microclimate with added Foehn. Love it!

Hopefully we'll also escape the worst of whats forecast for the weekend and the Bray Airshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It was hot and sunny here today in Glasnevin. The high was 26.8C. It's currently 25.7C. The southerly breeze made it just about bearable. RH is 53%.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Wow, 21.8mm of rain here in West Clare, was not expecting that. Will do alot of good for the dry land.

Lashed for hours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Pissing rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Another cracking day in Dublin. It's summer that just keeps giving

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Lashing in Cork city. Sitting at home and dare I say kind of enjoying the rain...from inside!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Bucketing down in the real capital! Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,024 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well that's the spell with no significant rain in cork city over. Christ you'd forget what it looks and sounds like.

I've barely had cloud today, been out enjoying it.

Yeah, some real intense rain - wouldn't mind some of it.

Have to say that the temperature forecasts have been a bit of a disaster this week. On Sunday, they were underestimated and today, they were overestimated.

p2vSs3y.jpg

vaAgyqo.jpg

I doubt we will see much rain from that here in the east, the rain seems to be breaking up as it's trying to push eastwards.

I reckon Saturday night/Sunday will be when we will see some real rain making it's way right across the whole country.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

sryanbruen wrote: »
    ....and today, they were overestimated.

Phoenix Park did get to 26c, and Dublin AP/Casement to 25c, which was not too far off the mark?

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Phoenix Park did get to 26c, and Dublin AP/Casement to 25c, which was not too far off the mark?

I'm primarily referring to my forecasts in which I tend to heavily criticise sometimes but thanks :P

Advertisement