Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2018 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Synop maxima today:

25.9 - Dublin Airport
    25.1 - Casement
    25.0 - Mullingar
    24.2 - Oak Park
    24.0 - Ballyhaise, Gurteen
    23.4 - Malin Head

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Been a while since I saw such heavy rain here near Tralee, 22mm in the manual gauge most of which fell between 11.00 and 14.30 .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Just starting up the BBQ here, very breezy but very sunny after a day of clouds and sunny breaks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Big difference between the East and the West of the country over the last couple of weeks. The East is continuing to get a smashing summer but it has really petered out for the West with temperatures rarely above 20c and that old threat of high summer humidity with low cloud cover.

The West has got a good share of rain today from the very south upto south Donegal so relief for farmers and gardeners.

Edit: that band of rain today was one of the slowest I have seen to move across the country. Even though it is a narrow band it has dropped a good deal of rain.
    http://archive.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Come back sun
    Please
    The plants are well watered in the West now :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Big difference between the East and the West of the country over the last couple of weeks. The East is continuing to get a smashing summer but it has really petered out for the West with temperatures rarely above 20c and that old threat of high summer humidity with low cloud cover.

The West has got a good share of rain today from the very south upto south Donegal so relief for farmers and gardeners.

Edit: that band of rain today was one of the slowest I have seen to move across the country. Even though it is a narrow band it has dropped a good deal of rain.

Not sure where your getting that from had some decent summer days over the last few weeks. Not exactly wall to wall sunshine but warm with sunny breaks. Sligo.

Was the first decent days rain we had in a while the farmers will love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Eh, not particularly accurate for West Clare either, just yesterday we had a smashingly sunny day in which I acquired a high of 25.2c and slight sunburn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Don't understand where you at getting that from I'm in Galway and up to today we have had great and warm weather even today the wind was very warm before the rain came ,it's been a great Summer in the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I think we can safely say that the drought properly ends this weekend. Indeed already heavy rain for most this evening.
    Be interesting to see how the quickly the grass responds

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

km79 wrote: »
    Come back sun
    Please
    The plants are well watered in the West now :p

I think most people will have the same view by the middle of next week. Most places will be well watered by then and the Atlantic muck will have long lost it's charm by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

I think we can safely say that the drought properly ends this weekend. Indeed already heavy rain for most this evening.

I think we can also safely say that it will feel like autumn tomorrow and sat especially in the West. At least Sunday the temperatures recover back into the low twenties in the east.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

records could be broken in London tonight, the Met Office are expecting temperatures tonight to not fall below 24C across London and rising up to a possible 37C tomorrow.

There could easily be a 20C+ difference between South-east England and Ireland tomorrow.

The eastern half of the UK mainland could also be in for a spectacular light show tomorrow evening and night with intense thunderstorms.

by Saturday afternoon everyone will be in the cooler Atlantic air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Gonzo wrote: »
    records could be broken in London tonight, the Met Office are expecting temperatures tonight to not fall below 24C across London and rising up to a possible 37C tomorrow.

There could easily be a 20C+ difference between South-east England and Ireland tomorrow.

The eastern half of the UK mainland could also be in for a spectacular light show tomorrow evening and night with intense thunderstorms.

I doubt it will reach 37 C in London or the south of England tomorrow due to the heavy thunderstorms predicted.

Very jealous of them getting these proper thunderstorms tomorrow. We are well overdue some here in Ireland. Would love to see some push up from the bay of Biscay before summer ends!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's raining, I mean actual proper raining. *faints*

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I've spent the last month travelling from Cork to Galway and back, stopping off via Limerick.
    Limerick has seemed consistently very warm; Galway got really warm/hot at times, particularly earlier this month.
    Then Cork got a good blast of heat, but felt quite humid down here, not so comfortable.

esposito wrote: »
    I doubt it will reach 37 C in London or the south of England tomorrow due to the heavy thunderstorms predicted.

Very jealous of them getting these proper thunderstorms tomorrow. We are well overdue some here in Ireland. Would love to see some push up from the bay of Biscay before summer ends!

I know it really annoys me too that we just do not get proper thunderstorms in this country. The UK always has a front row seat for spectacular light shows.

1985 was the last time I saw a proper thunderstorm in Ireland. County Meath at least is really badly positioned for thunderstorms, we just never seem to get anything other than maybe a rumble or two of thunder and a flash of lightning, which isn't really a thunderstorm.

At least I got to witness a proper storm in Spain about 6 weeks ago.

I think the first week or so of July was my favourite with temps reaching high 20s, even 30 in Clare, but with low humidity, and deep blue Mediterranean skies.
    The past two weeks have felt clammy and very Irish warm summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,933 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Raining here in Laois .
    :(

1985 was the last time I saw a proper thunderstorm in Ireland.

It was spectacular. Never seen anything like it since.

rain starting to make progress east now, but it's starting to look very patchy on the radar. Rain/drizzle will probably reach me in the next 1 to 2 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Wut? 80mm of moisture deficit in the south east - ie a weeks worth of decent rain. Anyway most of it will bounce off the ground and drain into rivers rather than be absorbed. Nope there is a long way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 burren

GMT_TXTX_latest.png
    Crazy high temperatures also in The Netherlands today. 15 out of the 34 official weather stations broke the station record. Highest temperature 38.2 C was in Arcen in the southeast. My local high temperature today was 35.7 C. Still 27 C here at 11pm. I went for a swim after work, but there was no real relieve on the beach either today. The sea breeze didn't manifest and it was 34 C at 5pm at Wassenaar beach. Tomorrow we get more of the same. Maybe the national record of 38.6 C from August 23 1944 in Warnsveld will finally be broken. There is no longer a weather station in Warnsveld and there has been a lot of dispute if it was a correct measurement. Bit of a similar situation as with the Irish record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Wut? 80mm of moisture deficit in the south east - ie a weeks worth of decent rain. Anyway most of it will bounce off the ground and drain into rivers rather than be absorbed. Nope there is a long way to go.

Plenty forecast over the coming week, another 40-60mm possible quite widely on top of todays totals between now and next Wednesday going by latest models. Dublin, Kildare and parts of the south east might escape with 20mm but the week ahead is looking about as unsettled as it gets for this time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

AWS reports 1.7mm of rain here, went through quick. Drizzle now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

been a horrible grey , dark drizzly depressing day here in south county sligo , lashing down at times, mercury didnt hit much above 17'c - my friends and family in the UK have had the hottest temps so far this year today, and havent had a drop of rain for ages and their grass is all scorched yellow.

456764.jpg

rain has arrived here now, but it's nothing more than a few spits of drizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I agree with you as regards the temperature difference, June was good, but July has not been in Castlebar, it's just been a slightly above average month, 59mm of rain and a mean temperature of 16.2C with the humidity lingering in the 70-80s most days, so not all the west is having a good summer especially if August plays out the same as July here.

rain has arrived here now, but it's nothing more than a few spits of drizzle.

Raining here in Dundalk now. Pretty heavy surprisingly enough. Doesn't look impressive on the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Kermit has spoken,models starting to get bullish about more high pressure and warmth from midweek next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

As I posted in another thread,an hour of heavy drizzle here in Wexford is all that fell tonight, it's warmer here at 1am than it's been at 1pm in parts of the West of Ireland. That drizzle will have zero effect on the drought conditions down this way.

Advertisement