Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2018 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Rain got a little bit more heavy there for a few minutes. It's now brightening up. It's 18.2C now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Clouds dissipating over the Irish Sea.

Morning Mist and Haze burning off and Sun and Blue skies coming out to play.

It's the COSTA DEL BRAY Bitches!!!

;):D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

So far nothing more than a few drops of rain here today and sun is starting to appear. Nowhere nearly as bad as I expected, fingers crossed the rain/showers will stay well away to my north for the rest of the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057877902

Dedicated thread to the weather warning here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Beginning to wonder why Mayo was removed, seems they have a lovely heavy thundery shower.

• Advertisement

Haven't had much rain here either. The ground is dry now after what did fall and it's currently sunny although there are some very dark clouds to my south. None of the rain that fell this morning was enough to register. The temperature's dropped slightly here but still a very warm 22.9C.

20.2c in West Clare but feeling very warm in the humidity and sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,588 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Not only did May 2018 have a similar pattern to May 1989, see my post below, it was the sunniest on record in the UK beating 1989 by a few hours. 1989 continues to be a key year in the long range outlook for Summer 2018 which is good because again, Summer 1989 was warm, dry and sunny with a very warm July in particular.

Not to mention, May 2018 had a record breaking positive NAO for May.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107044149&postcount=95

The Scandi High continues to be of a major influence to the weather but is likely to weaken as the westerlies temporarily take over later next week. We shall see if the high will reassert itself with the Azores High to form one big area of high pressure again and give us another warm spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

22.8C in Castlebar and lovely blue skies, not a hint of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Xenji wrote: »
    22.8C in Castlebar and lovely blue skies, not a hint of rain.

Its absolutely lovely this afternoon. Small breeze in it to from the west making it far less humid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What's all this nonsense about thunderous rainfall? The Deise is dry as dust! Started overcast though not darkly so and has improved to the point where there isn't a cloud to be seen. Hot hot hot (well humid humid humid).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭pauldry

Suddenly got freezing in Sligo

Went from 20c to 14c but going back up again

Roscommon meanwhile is 24c

A few big raindrops before the "freeze"

The CFSv2 weekly 500mb height anomalies at the beginning of May showed a classic month ahead with plenty of warm, dry weather. The model consistently stuck with this theme throughout the month. It was bang on correct.

This is the latest update for June and the month gets off to a great start with a lot of high pressure but gradually goes down hill!

Yesterday, the model was showing a classic start to June with a lot of high pressure and warm weather up to the third week. Different update already today showing it is not as confident as it was for May.

zcTrKZQ.gif

vCVyOOL.gif

Latest GEFS update for the NAO shows that the negative tumble of the index may only be temporary and it will go back positive afterwards. There are still ensembles going for negative NAO but it's an improvement on the last update which was all negative going into June.

pCnoVd0.gif

Once it doesn't rain on the 16th I'll be happy. Weather can do whatever it wants after that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Beginning to wonder why Mayo was removed, seems they have a lovely heavy thundery shower.

Which part of Mayo? Nothing here on the West Coast, except a dozen of so spots earlier today

Graces7 wrote: »
    Which part of Mayo? Nothing here on the West Coast, except a dozen of so spots earlier today

East Mayo most certainly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Had one heavy shower about 12 today and some loud rumbles but the dark clouds seemed to stay to the south and east of us since then. South sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Thankfully no rain today, was expecting the worst looking at some charts here yesterday but not a drop fell, thoroughly enjoying the dry weather and long may it last

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

In fairness to the high res models they called the storms pretty well. They had zero rain for Waterford City and thats exactly what we got. A stunning afternoon with warm sunshine and a max temp of 22.3c. Starting to get used to this now :D

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Max of 24.7c in Tuam today, which makes it the 10th day in a row with daytime temps above 20c, and within that time frame, the lowest max is 21.7c. Throughout, this has been accompanied by high relative humidity leading to dewpoints over between 15 to 18c throughout the afternoons and evenings. I appreciate that many love this kind of weather, but I am just sick to death of it. Temps in the house refusing to fall below 25c at night, and leaving windows open at night does not help. And worse still, there is seemingly no end in sight. An unprecedent spell of weather for this part of the world for the time of year. Please end! :(

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Max of 24.7c in Tuam today, which makes it the 10th day in a row with daytime temps above 20c, and within that time frame, the lowest max is 21.7c. Throughout, this has been accompanied by high relative humidity leading to dewpoints over between 15 to 18c throughout the afternoons and evenings. I appreciate that many love this kind of weather, but I am just sick to death of it. Temps in the house refusing to fall below 25c at night, and leaving windows open at night does not help. And worse still, there is seemingly no end in sight. An unprecedent spell of weather for this part of the world for the time of year. Please end! :(

Yes, we need moderation in all things. My little demountable dwelling is an oven. And dry.

Outside is horrible this morning. I am on a small offshore Mayo island and usually fine views of mountains and ocean Now nothing but dark heavy clouds edge to edge. Not a breath of moving air and the midges mean cannot leave the door or window open.

Need some rain and wind... to clear the air.

Family in Canada say we will get storms coming in from Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,865 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

It started off chilly in tuam yesterday morning and afternoon but then it turned into an a scorcher!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Mars Bar wrote: »
    It started off chilly in tuam yesterday morning and afternoon but then it turned into an a scorcher!

Min of 14.6c in town early yesterday?

oHXHNSK.png

The thing I have noticed about these high temps is that they are not just brief afternoon 'spikes' as you would expect at this time of year, but are temps that waver for hours upon hours upon end.

Anyway, a nice 'jungle shower' just passed through now but gave nothing in terms of relief.

New Moon

Latest CFSv2 update has not changed for the June outlook, still looking like a southeasterly based month with warm and dry conditions though regional variation will be a thing here courtesy of thunderstorms. Meanwhile for July, the model has upgraded the outlook with the high being bang over top of us. Gives me visions of July 2013.

This Summer continues to have the chances of being a real classic.

w77C4Xd.gif

Cast your mind back to my analogues with having at least 5 of the elements..... this is what July was looking like. Very similar to what this CFSv2 update shows!

jnhAVTl.png

Not good news for warm haters or those wanting some rain!

Second day of summer, cloudy , grey and very humid in Cork City. 16.4 degrees right now

Overcast here with next to no wind and warm. 17.8C.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

Cloudy overcast drizzly but relatively warm in east Galway
    Main rain went just north of us

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Definitely doesn’t feel as muggy or thundery as yesterday. Still humid though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yep, certainly a much fresher feel to today so far and very cloudy.

Advertisement