Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2018 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A beautiful wild wind.. Quite lovely... There was some rain last evening, just a little... But that sweet wind...

West Mayo; offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Off to a festival for the weekend in blessington. Bastard rain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Synop maxima today:

25.9 - Dublin Airport
    25.1 - Casement
    25.0 - Mullingar
    24.2 - Oak Park
    24.0 - Ballyhaise, Gurteen
    23.4 - Malin Head
    Amazing! My max yesterday (Thurs) was only 22.9c??
    I not sure how there could have been a difference of 3c over a distance of only a few kms? It is also extremely odd that Dublin A was a higher than Casement with the cool south easterly off the sea yesterday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

hard to believe that even the Shetland Islands will be warmer than Ireland over the next 2 days. Temperatures there could reach 20C over the next 2 days which is extremely rare for there.

The past week was very warm at Dunshaughlin, perhaps the warmest week of the year at this location.

These are the maximums at Dunshaughlin over the past week.

Saturday 21 - 21C
    Sunday 22 - 28C
    Monday 23 - 27C
    Tuesday 24 - 22C
    Wednesday 25 - 26C
    Thursday 26 - 25C
    Today - 18C so far.

I just got to power through the mucky conditions of the next few days and hope that we get another very warm and settled spell starting next week.

For now we are back to bringing our rain gear with us everywhere and checking the rain radar before we take a walk outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Synop maxima today:

25.9 - Dublin Airport
    25.1 - Casement
    25.0 - Mullingar
    24.2 - Oak Park
    24.0 - Ballyhaise, Gurteen
    23.4 - Malin Head
    I not sure how there could have been a difference of 3c over a distance of only a few kms? It is also extremely odd that Dublin A was a higher than Casement with the cool south easterly off the sea yesterday.

To top it off, Dublin Airport then had by far the coldest overnight min. Can’t figure out that station sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

compsys wrote: »
    To top it off, Dublin Airport then had by far the coldest overnight min. Can’t figure out that station sometimes.

It's mad how localised it has all been. Last night in Dublin 7 was unbearably warm, yet Dublin Airport was somehow in single digits overnight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

last night was very warm here too at Dunshaughlin, stayed above 16C for most of the night, infact right now feels about the same as it did last night, no real rise in temperatures during daylight hours here.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

MJohnston wrote: »
    It's mad how localised it has all been. Last night in Dublin 7 was unbearably warm, yet Dublin Airport was somehow in single digits overnight.

Min. at Dublin AP last night was 17c?

DOCARCH wrote: »

Ah, sorry I was looking at the min for the 26th, which would have been the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

DOCARCH wrote: »

Yeah can't see no single figures here.
    http://www.meteociel.fr/temps-reel/obs_villes.php?code2=3969

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

The low here at Glasnevin was 16.9C and I never consider us that far from Dublin Airport.

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    The low here at Glasnevin was 16.9C and I never consider us that far from Dublin Airport.

It was 12.3C here the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Can't figure it out either. There was a strong south easterly breeze along the east coast yesterday, Casement is sheltered by high ground when the wind blows from that direction yet was cooler than D.A. which is relatively near the coast?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

JUST got back in through the door before an almighty deluge descended. . Drummers drumming, washing dripping... Total washout! Glorious! lol

West Mayo; offshore island

starting to feel warm here again, 19C and sun trying to make an appearance, it might make it to 20C later today. I see Dublin Airport and Phoenix Park have already hit a respectful 20C.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just started raining here on the west cork coast. Got some pictures of clouds etc that I can’t upload. very dark ones

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Keep an eye on Dp's the next time D.A reports unusually low temps as compared to the rest of that region as unlike 'dry bulb' temps, Dewpoints tend to be more stable and uniform in large scale air masses. If D.A reports significantly lower dp's relative to the likes of PP, Dunsany, Casement etc, then that could be an indication that something is not right.

New Moon

Gonzo wrote: »
    starting to feel warm here again, 19C and sun trying to make an appearance, it might make it to 20C later today. I see Dublin Airport and Phoenix Park have already hit a respectful 20C.

It's already 21C here. It's cloudy with the occasional burst of sunshine but not very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I'm not going to go all out and say scorcher Summer on the way but 2018 has the potential now with this Scandi High to be one of our better Summers of the 21st century so far. Now, it could go all down the tubes like Summer 2017 did (which is likely courtesy of the change from El Nino to La Nina very rapidly) so don't get too excited. This is only potential for now. As with all long range forecasting, it's not to be relied upon. Now go and enjoy the current weather, it's not too often we get prolonged fine periods like this.

Maybe I should have went all out and say scorcher on the way. Big improvement on the Summer forecast from last year's disaster I have to say though. One month to go however.

20C here now, feels more like 21 or 22C. Sun hasn't really made it out of the clouds here. Almost slate grey sky here now.

A really big shower looks like it is going to miss me, passing to my west as it is pushing northwards.

Cork, Kerry, parts of Limerick and Clare currently looking very wet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

15.9C in Castlebar and wet again, humidity is at 91%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Absolutely pi$$ing it down here in Ballina, Co.Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Eerily calm and dry in Listowel. Heading to Ballybunnion shortly, trying to stay optimistic!

21C now, feeling very warm despite no sun. Holding off on the rain for now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Absolutely miserable
    We will have reached the average rainfall for July for Athenry by the end of the month now anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

POURING now

i think we will all see some very heavy rain by the end of today, that rain over the west seems to be intensifying. Temperatures now in parts of Kerry struggling to even reach 13C, that's February cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

A couple of heavy showers here in Laois, not major. No sunshine and it’s definitely feeling a lot cooler in the house. Currently 18c and probably our first day in a long while not getting over 20c .
    I see UK after getting a serious thunderstorm warning which could according to sky news be a “ danger to Life “

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I don't get something: on both the daily weather forecast thread and on met Éireann, the forecast for tomorrow was one of relatively dry weather in the eastern half of the country. When I checked it today, the forecast is for heavy and persistent rain for much of tomorrow morning. What changed so dramatically in the past day, and why was the forecasted rainfall for there inaccurate at only t+48?

Current GFS forecast: http://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn484.gif

• Advertisement

I don't get something: on both the daily weather forecast thread and on met Éireann, the forecast for tomorrow was one of relatively dry weather in the eastern half of the country. When I checked it today, the forecast is for heavy and persistent rain for much of tomorrow morning. What changed so dramatically in the past day, and why was the forecasted rainfall for there inaccurate at only t+48?

Current GFS forecast: http://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn484.gif

More than that, the Met forecast was showing today as basically dry when I checked it a few hours ago and now it's been updated to show rain for a lot of this evening. The models are having a lot of trouble with rain volumes recently.

Advertisement