Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2018 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Some very heavy downpours in Castlebar today, 7.4mm of rain so far, but bright and warm in between showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A bit of a contrast here in Wexford,I was down on the South coast earlier, almost cloudless there now but back towards Enniscorthy there's dark skies but it's clearing and the sun is winning out. The 20c and above streak continues,it looked in danger over the last few days but scraped past the 20c mark.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The Met Office latest forecast for the next few days is showing a divide over Ireland till Thursday.

Looking much more unsettled over the north-western half of the country with plenty of showers tomorrow, still a few showers in the south-eastern half of the country tomorrow but much less in the way of showers.

Wednesday looks like a very wet day across the west and north, dryer over Leinster with rain getting in towards nightfall.

Thursday rain clearing the east, then mostly dry with showers in the west and north. Becoming warmer everywhere.

Friday shows a continuation of showers across some western and northern parts, with warm sunshine elsewhere.

Weekend looking dry and warm almost everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OyiAeYG8Kk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I'm amused. The above forecast says "back to typical British weather".
    "Typical British weather" can still come up with a 26c, a similar temperature in this country is a heatwave! :pac:
    https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/top-20/maxt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    It's been mostly sunny here for the last couple of hours and the temperature's gone above 20 for the first time since Friday. It's currently 20.0C.

It's all overcast here now and it's 19.6C. A short while ago it was sunny and the temperature reached 21.6C.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm amused. The above forecast says "back to typical British weather".
    "Typical British weather" can still come up with a 26c, a similar temperature in this country is a heatwave! :pac:
    https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/top-20/maxt

The South east of England and some midland locations regularly hits 25C or more from end of April to the end of September. These are also the most populated areas of the UK and the forecasters concentrate on England most of the time. South West England, most of Wales, Northern England and Scotland have more normal conditions similar to ours.

Often they mention that these areas are 'slightly cooler' which makes me laugh because there is often a 5 to 10C difference between these locations and the very warm south eastern third of the UK. When it comes to warm weather they only get excited when London and the South east go past 30C. it is only then that the UK forecasters start mentioning the word 'heatwave'.

Here in Ireland, the temperature contrasts and weather variation is mostly very small. Most of the time we only get at most a 2 or 3C difference between any part of Ireland.

The only time we really get contrasts in this country is when we do have a summer similar to this one and easterly sea breezes make a big difference during our 'heatwaves'. In June there were quite a few days where there was a 10C difference between western Ireland and the east coast, most year's there are only a few days a year where this large difference happens in our country.

It's all overcast here now and it's 19.6C. A short while ago it was sunny and the temperature reached 21.6C.

There was a shower just now also which deposited 0.2mm. And the temperature's down to 17.4C now.

There was a shower just now also which deposited 0.2mm. And the temperature's down to 17.4C now.

we just had a small shower too, but didn't last much longer than 40 seconds. Temp here still 18C. I don't think were going to see much more than that today, but at least it's feeling pleasantly warm for most of today.

Perhaps the chilly weekend is why today is feeling warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Fine enough day in Deise once the early rain fecked off around 9 am.

Just looked at the most recent forecast on RTE - blimey must be the most dismal prognosis for a HP build ever! Mind you their choices of symbols in the 5 day mini graphic are usually utterly useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Light shower in Dublin 13 now as it's gotten quite dark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Glorious day on the North West Mayo coast...Mullet way... Sun, wind and the most explosively dramatic clouds ever seen... I let the Wild Atlantic Way squiggles guide me and meandered round for hours.. Just glorious.. Face feels suntightened

And now a sudden loud deluge... Amazing how fast it changes..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭appledrop

Nice + sunny here now in North County Dublin but have just had one of those mad sun showers. It lashed down while sun was still shining.

Another 0.2mm in a shower just now. The sun came back out at the same time giving a double rainbow. It's 18.1C now.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

They days feel like really nice October days. It's July :O

forecast for tomorrow on RTE looks promising in the south and east with a mostly dry day and temperatures reaching 21C.

The 5 days ahead chart looks a bit strange, showing rain on Thursday and Friday with temperatures of 23/24C.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Lovely evening

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yep doesnt look good at all next week now.

The weekend should be nice though then Id say it will finally be tally ho.

Or will I be wrong for the umpteenth time this Summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It'll be fine. Trust me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Feels like autumn out there tonight but then august can often feel like an autumnal month. At least we have a good weekend to look forward too, this time last year summer was long over.

• Advertisement

Wild, loud and wet..West Mayo.offshore island

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

According to ME....Rain in the west will spread across the country during the day but it will break up as it does, leaving the east and southeast mainly dry.

Looking at radar, this does not look like happening (i.e. east staying dry)!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Feels really cold this morning. More October/November type feeling. You'd feel sorry for anyone who took a staycation this week in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Raining :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

DOCARCH wrote: »
    According to ME....Rain in the west will spread across the country during the day but it will break up as it does, leaving the east and southeast mainly dry.

Tune changed at 07.55 on radio. :pac:

....the south will stay mainly dry (today)....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Terrible morning in Galway wet and windy

It's raining here now. Thought it had just started but it seems like it's been around for a while. There was 0.4mm recorded overnight. It's currently 13.6C.

DOCARCH wrote: »

Met Éireanns hourly outlook for my location has it dry and cloudy/sunny for the whole day
    It’s absolutely pissing out and heavier stuff on the way

Are we allowed hope for a few back to back dry and warm sunny summer days in the west again yet ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Absolutely torrential rain in Galway now reports coming in on local radio of flooding on the roads especially in Claregalway

Advertisement