Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2018 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,324 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Absolutely torrential rain in Galway now reports coming in on local radio of flooding on the roads especially in Claregalway
    14mm of rain has fallen in GalwayCity over 7 hours.
    All those dry blocked drains creating lakes on the roads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If people can spend the entire winter snow wishcasting I can spend the summer sun wishcasting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

zell12 wrote: »
    14mm of rain has fallen in GalwayCity over 7 hours.
    All those dry blocked drains creating lakes on the roads

July averages will be met and in some cases surpassed around the West so ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    It's raining here now. Thought it had just started but it seems like it's been around for a while. There was 0.4mm recorded overnight. It's currently 13.6C.

No real rain here now. Just overcast. 14.1C.

If people can spend the entire winter snow wishcasting I can spend the summer sun wishcasting :)

I have repeatedly made this point but it seems sunny weather in summer is the only type that affects people's livelihoods so it must BE GONE
    The raindances in the West have worked anyway

Looking forward to the weekend and I hope it is SCORCHING

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Heavily overcast in Waterford but dry.

Having has so much good weather - "normal" really seems total rubbish, roll on the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Absolutely lashing in East Galway and Galway city all morning. Miserable day for the races if this keeps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

The forecast looks a mile off this morning, last night on RTE they had a weak front mainly affecting the north west and breaking up over the country but looking at the radar ts the middle third of the country getting most of the rain.

Miserable morning here again, hopefully it clears up later

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

No rain in cork yet but overcast and very blustery and windy.

Edit: Just started drizzling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Last day of July 1976 looks cool eh?

NT4C4aX.png

3CpSq79.png

Met Éireann states that it is highly likely it's going to stay settled for Tuesday & Wednesday next week but less warm? Am I missing something here?
    Outlook for early next week: high chance of settled weather continuing, possibly less warm after Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I take it back! It does look like rain has broken up/is not reaching the east, as forecast by ME. Radar looks a lot clearer than it did earlier. Dry in Dublin 16 after a few drops earlier.

Had to dig the Winter jacket out to go shopping
    31st of July
    Horrible disgusting depressing day

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wonderfully invigorating day out here. Drizzle and heavier rain sweeping visibly in over the ocean... Love it..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭appledrop

Raining + miserable here in Dublin. Ok sick of rain now. Roll on the holidays!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

wet and miserable here too, feels like Autumn.

appledrop wrote: »
    Raining + miserable here in Dublin. Ok sick of rain now. Roll on the holidays!

What part of Dublin are you in? There was hardly any rain here this morning.

Same here in Dublin 13. The few drops that did fall barely wet the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,324 ✭✭✭✭zell12

km79 wrote: »
    July averages will be met and in some cases surpassed around the West so ..........
    You are not wrong. Galway got 21% of it's monthly rainfall in one day ..so far
    824YnDe.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Dry,breezy with sunny spells here in Wexford.

And it's nice and sunny now and 17.4C.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

not as bad as I thought this morning, there was one heavy shower but it cleared very quickly, ground is back dry again, but no sun here yet today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

I want my heatwave back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Cool and very dull in Castlebar, only 13.8C and 8.1mm of rain so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

another wet/drizzy depressing blustery day here in south county sligo with a temp's around 2pm at only a miserable 16c and according to weather on radio will only reach a high of 18c today - rain clearing up later on today (lets see)

on the whole apart from the fortnight of a heatwave with temps reaching 30-32c here where I am its just a washout now like other years , typical northwest irish summer - people saying the heatwave will be back and that this wet weather is a "blip!" - cannot see it myself but will keep an open mind

shame heaven hasnt got a "customer complaints department" I'd be right onto them today, the way I feel about this crap summer weather :)

another wet/drizzy depressing blustery day here in south county sligo with a temp's around 2pm at only a miserable 16c and according to weather on radio will only reach a high of 18c today - rain clearing up later on today (lets see)

on the whole apart from the fortnight of a heatwave with temps reaching 30-32c here where I am its just a washout now like other years , typical northwest irish summer - people saying the heatwave will be back and that this wet weather is a "blip!" - cannot see it myself but will keep an open mind

shame heaven hasnt got a "customer complaints department" I'd be right onto them today, the way I feel about this crap summer weather :)

We've certainly had a taste of Autumn since Friday night across the country. Temperatures here have struggled in the mid teens over the weekend with 18C the warmest I've had since the warmth left us on Friday.

This weekend looks nice but certainly no heatwave, temperatures in the low 20s for most of us, but the weekend does promise settled weather. At this stage I'd make the most of it. I rarely ever trust August, it is often the poorest month of the summer for us, September is sometimes better than August.

This August looks uncertain at this stage what way it will go but at a guess I'd say we've seen the best this summer has to offer already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭appledrop

North County Dublin. In end not too much rain but very overcast all day + I'd say more rain on the way. Now I remember why you need to go away to guarantee nice weather on your holidays.

yesterday's forecast was looking half decent for today in Leinster with some sunshine and temperatures reaching maybe 20 or 21C, but today has been a disappointment, totally cloudy, showers this morning and quite windy. Temperatures barely making to an average 18C.

Currently here it's just 16C and sky full of dark clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Despite all the heat around this month, it will not finish as warm as July 2013, which finished with a national mean value of 17.3 Deg.C. (21.6 | 13.0). Up to the 30th this month, the national mean is standing at 16.5 Deg.C (20.9 | 12.1).

To give an example from just one station, Oak Park's mean maxima back in July '13 was 24.1c; this year it will finish at around 23.5c.

From Met Éireann.

New Moon

Here's how July 2018 stacks up for Oak Park (continuation from Oneiric 3's post) against other Julys since 2010 in terms of daily maximum temperatures. 2013 is the obvious elephant in the room here though 2018 was well above the rest for the first week.

49yd0gm.png

Data comes from Met Éireann.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    yesterday's forecast was looking half decent for today in Leinster with some sunshine and temperatures reaching maybe 20 or 21C, but today has been a disappointment, totally cloudy, showers this morning and quite windy. Temperatures barely making to an average 18C.

Currently here it's just 16C and sky full of dark clouds.

It is quite cloudy here with the occasional burst of sunshine, like now. The high reached was 19.0C a short while ago. It's currently 18.6C.

Advertisement