Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2018 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Sun is shining but with bitter breeze. I wasn't wrong when I said summer was over a few weeks ago. Yeah this weekend will have two days of low 20s. Not exactly summer weather

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Sun is shining but with bitter breeze. I wasn't wrong when I said summer was over a few weeks ago. Yeah this weekend will have two days of low 20s. Not exactly summer weather

Yes, yes it is. In fact it's specifically above average for July or August in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's quite breezy. From the south, for a change. 18.6C now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The good weather this weekend is a huge downgrade on the potential that was showing a few days ago alright, but at this stage i'll gladly take any settled and warm days we get. 21C and sunny spells is much better than the muck of the past 4 days.

I've a feeling that we may have to brace ourselves once the 2 warm days are over and deal with the fact that normal service looks like resuming.

Still we've had a great summer, I can only think of a few summers in my lifetime that have been as good as this one.

We've had a very special and exciting time for weather since the end of February. I can't think of any other year that has delivered so much. None of this is normal for our location so our luck was bound to run out at some stage and I think were getting close to that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Yep I'm off on holidays in Ireland next week and I can guarantee the rain is coming too....typical. the weather has been so nice kinda feel depressed looking at grey skies already.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Tomorrow is looking quite wet, especially in the north-west. A dry morning in the east, but rain quickly arriving here too after midday, so a wet day for all of us.

Thursday and info Friday also look quite showery in places, but should be less wet than tomorrow and certainly feeling milder with temperatures into the low 20's in places.

Should be dry everywhere on Saturday and Sunday and maybe Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Gonzo wrote: »
    Tomorrow is looking quite wet, especially in the north-west. A dry morning in the east, but rain quickly arriving here too after midday, so a wet day for all of us.

Thursday and info Friday also look quite showery in places, but should be less wet than tomorrow and certainly feeling milder with temperatures into the low 20's in places.

Should be dry everywhere on Saturday and Sunday and maybe Monday.

Hope so; trading at a festival and have opted for outdoors.. but not a tragedy even if wet...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

pauldry wrote: »
    North and West will have drizzle from Monday but OakPark will over 20c so might go there on holidays

Most Augusts tend to deteriorate

What good Augusts has the West had in the 21st Century

You fared much better than the east in August 2004. For instance, Belmullet had 59% of its average August rainfall with 55.4mm whilst Casement Aerodrome had 165% of its average August rainfall with 113.9mm. You had maxima normally in the low 20s with a max of nearly 27c on the 2nd.

It was an unusual August.

NOAA_1_2004080212_1.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Doesnt this happen most years though once the continent heats up it attracts unsettled weather to the western fringes. European monsoon season i think is the term.

Was a fairly grim day here in the north west cold wet and windy.

mg1982 wrote: »
    Doesnt this happen most years though once the continent heats up it attracts unsettled weather to the western fringes. European monsoon season i think is the term.

Yes that is correct but it doesn't usually take place this late, usually happens in the second half of June. Also known as the return of the westerlies.

• Advertisement

ended up being quite a wet evening here, some heavy, sharp showers between 5.30 and 7.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

lovely evening in cork city. While cold, its dry and bright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Was a fairly grim day here in the north west cold wet and windy.

How's it looking for the next few days? we're in gweedore for a week. Syrans "drizzle" was more like a downpour ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yes that is correct but it doesn't usually take place this late, usually happens in the second half of June. Also known as the return of the westerlies.

Is this the whole St. Swithins theory...westerlys back for around 6 weeks to end of August? Also called European monsoon? Pat Kenny on about it the other day!

How's it looking for the next few days? we're in gweedore for a week. Syrans "drizzle" was more like a downpour ;)

You didnt go to gweedore for the weather i hope ;). Expect more of the same the next few days id say.

Is this the whole St. Swithins theory...westerlys back for around 6 weeks to end of August? Also called European monsoon? Pat Kenny on about it the other day!

The UK Met Office have a good, simple definition on it here:

https://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2012/06/08/what-is-the-european-monsoon/

Hopefully I'll be able to say snizzle or snowpour instead in 3 months time :P

At least some places like Dublin stations, Arklow and Oak Park reached 20c today.

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1024323809590083584

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Jesus it feels chilly in the house tonight
    And dark fairly early
    Is it July or October .....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

km79 wrote: »
    And dark fairly early
    Is it July or October

The last day of July and it has been about 40 days since the summer solstice so no surprise that the days are getting noticeably shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

km79 wrote: »
    And dark fairly early
    Is it July or October .....

I'm the exact opposite. The inside temperature is 22c it takes days for the house to cool down. The weekend is going to top up the temperature again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Lucreto wrote: »
    I'm the exact opposite. The inside temperature is 22c it takes days for the house to cool down. The weekend is going to top up the temperature again.

Same here. 22c in the house. Problem with the boiler since a power cut during storm Hector on 14th June so no heating since then (must get it looked at soon!). The coldest the house has been is comfortably warm, which is what it's like now. During the height of the heatwave, downstairs temperatures got into the high 20's, upstairs got into the low 30's a few times. Slept like a log when it was that warm, just like when away in the Med :)

• Advertisement

First night i felt the need to put a fire down. One of the pleasures of cold dark nights is lying in front of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭alentejo

Ireland also has the oldest highest ever temp.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Weekend highs of 20-21C here for the weekend (ME).

What happened? Any consensus on a return of the heat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Looks like we're not alone in the uncertainty..........

https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/1024338286326820864

am i reading that right 0c in Florida?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You didnt go to gweedore for the weather i hope ;). Expect more of the same the next few days id say.

Foolishly thought the weather would hold for August :)

vickers209 wrote: »
    am i reading that right 0c in Florida?

It's a 2m temperature anomaly map from average so Florida has no big deviation from average. Another example is L.A. to the southwest of California where it's 6-8f (I'm guessing fahrenheit since it's American) above average.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Weekend highs of 20-21C here for the weekend (ME).

What happened? Any consensus on a return of the heat?

The real warmth not making it as far as Ireland. Chance of showers also across the north and north-west during the weekend. Rain now back in the forecast for Monday too.

Foolishly thought the weather would hold for August :)

August has always been the joker in the pack for this Summer.

I know I've said numerous times but I'll say it again, my analogues pointed towards an unsettled August with me basing similarities on the coming August being similar to 1989 or 1996 which were both fairly close to average temperature but unsettled months, especially 1996 which had several quite wet days.

This is for the UK but the UK Met Office state in their contingency planners that the chances of above average temperature and below average precipitation for August to October 2018 is higher than average. I'd like to highlight the following quotes from it though:
    For both August and August-September-October, there is good agreement between the Met Office long-range prediction system and systems from other prediction centres. These show an increased likelihood of higher-than-usual pressure close to the UK, suggesting a reduction in the chances of Atlantic depressions moving across the UK. Consistent with this, the likelihood of below-average precipitation is moderately greater than the likelihood of above-average precipitation This implies an increased chance that the impacts from the very dry weather being felt in some parts of the UK could be extended.

Notice how they said "some parts of the UK" which for my guess is the southeast of England.

They also said "The chances of impacts from high temperatures are increased compared to normal". Augusts 1989 and 1996 (the Augusts I used as a comparison for how I feel this August is gonna fare) did not have plumes or heatwaves in the UK as well as Ireland.

The anomaly forecasts are for the three month period overall but it's still interesting how bullish they seem on the pattern continuing to be dry and warm.

We'll be able to see what the new Glosea5 model update from the UKMO says soon for August-October and September-November. The previous update at the beginning of July showed a continuation of the pattern but we know this is not looking likely at the moment given how the pattern has fared with high pressure building further eastwards than over top of us which June had. This eastward progression has led to hotter conditions for the south and east of the UK but cooler in the north and west. As a result, the heat has tended to be more localised than widespread which is what you'd expect really this time around into the Summer season.

Latest CFSv2 updated to the 29th July shows August to be similar to July (from the second week onwards) with potential plumes for the UK and some ridges of high pressure being sent to Ireland at times. Heights look a bit too high for a particularly wet month on this model. This and the Glosea5 are on odds with the shorter range models of the GFS and ECM. The short range models have been wanting to retrogress the high out into the Atlantic which would bring us down a northerly. Looking at NAO forecasts from the GFS ensembles, this seems a likely possibility but there is a split in the ensembles at either keeping the NAO at a neutral level or going to negative conditions. If the NAO were to go negative, it'd be the first time it did so since 6 June which is a very long time and shows you just how persistent low pressure has been over Greenland and Iceland this Summer.

I stand by my thoughts on August being a more unsettled month like I initially said.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Gonzo wrote: »
    The real warmth not making it as far as Ireland. Chance of showers also across the north and north-west during the weekend. Rain now back in the forecast for Monday too.

Where are you seeing that about rain on Monday?

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    Where are you seeing that about rain on Monday?

Met Eireann mention it in their forecast.

Advertisement