Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2018 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

At the risk of being hung drawn and quartered for stating this, I still think that a lot more rain is needed for the south and east of the country, so if it turns out that August is a humid rainy unsettled month I will be happy. Cool northerly winds can stay away though.

well we have lost the humidity with the rain we have here in the north west - its quite cold actually, sun is hidden by thick cloud so no heat from that ... mind you on the other hand i dont like high humidity personally and dont like the feeling sauna's give you ... but all i am asking for is something in between. a nice comfortable bit of heat in the summer months (not even necessarily heat wave) and cold in the winter ... is that too much to ask for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

At the risk of being hung drawn and quartered for stating this, I still think that a lot more rain is needed for the south and east of the country, so if it turns out that August is a humid rainy unsettled month I will be happy. Cool northerly winds can stay away though.

Have to agree the wildlife has gotten a hammering this year, Haven't seen a hedgehog in these parts in years (someone on the estate ran over the last one) and now we have a a gang because the ground is so hard they cannot dig. Rescues are over run with them as well. Someone else noted lot of dead birds about and even the fish were dying because the water is too warm.
    I do hope it is clear for the Persieds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

enviously looking at Sky News on TV this morning, outside a court in London and all the people out in sunglasses, t-shirts and shorts enjoying the lovely weather ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lightly wet then dry and now heavyish rain. Pretty mild and humid with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

enviously looking at Sky News on TV this morning, outside a court in London and all the people out in sunglasses, t-shirts and shorts enjoying the lovely weather ...
    But their lawns are yellow and ours are green

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

At the risk of being hung drawn and quartered for stating this, I still think that a lot more rain is needed for the south and east of the country,
    I agree with you, the rain today was heavy enough in my parts but it only amounted to 6mm which is nothing when there is still a big soil moisture deficit.

Much of my lawn is as brown/grey now as when the weather first broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

There was 0.6mm rain recorded here in Glasnevin and looking at the rain radar picture that appears to be the end of it. It's 16.7C now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

well we have lost the humidity with the rain we have here in the north west - its quite cold actually, sun is hidden by thick cloud so no heat from that ... mind you on the other hand i dont like high humidity personally and dont like the feeling sauna's give you ... but all i am asking for is something in between. a nice comfortable bit of heat in the summer months (not even necessarily heat wave) and cold in the winter ... is that too much to ask for?

Humidity is actually extremely high in this sort of weather, currently 94% at Markree and Finner which is far higher than any stage during the hot weather. The cold is simply due to it being a miserable 15C on the 1st of August!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

spotted 2 homes in the area with fires lit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yeah things still very dry in the south and we missed the heaviest of todays rain band yet again

Gonzo wrote: »

Must have Spanish students in them! Anyone who's Irish with a fire lit should be chased up the yard.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Met Office 10 day trend.

This weekend looks hot over England and Wales and warm over Ireland and Scotland. Showers from time to time over north-western areas throughout the weekend with fronts never far away from North-West Ireland and western Scotland.

Mentions the uncertainty of next week, but it looks like Ireland and Scotland will be in the more unsettled and cooler zone from early next week with the hot air to the south-east lasting into mid week.

They are unsure of the exact position of the cold fronts for next week, but I reckon it will end up as a similar situation as today and the past few days.

They reckon the cooler air will extend through all of the UK by next weekend with a typical westerly flow becoming established throughout the country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGFNa8TKICQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Must have Spanish students in them! Anyone who's Irish with a fire lit should be chased up the yard.
    Neighbors across the road have a smoking chimney ..........

It is actually very heavy out . Had to go to the shop there and was expecting it to be colder . But it is mild enough but very tiring .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The rain has finally let up in Castlebar, we got 26.3mm today.

km79 wrote: »
    Neighbors across the road have a smoking chimney ..........

It is actually very heavy out . Had to go to the shop there and was expecting it to be colder . But it is mild enough but very tiring .

It still feels quite mild here too. I reckon the homes with the smokey chimneys are older people. Once the skies are grey and the rain is falling they light fires.

We had several hours of very heavy rain and then some blustery showers, the last one about 30 minutes ago. Already the ground is drying.

Temperatures for my area look ok over the next few days. Tomorrow and Friday look to be the warmest days, but there will be lots of cloud and showers about so if it does reach 23C here it won't really feel like it unless we get some spells of sunshine.

Weekend looks dryer but slightly cooler with highs of about 21C. Next Monday looks quite warm again, about 23C, then cooling back into the teens after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pauldry

Just behind you with 25mm in Sligo

We will easily get 100mm this month

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    There was 0.6mm rain recorded here in Glasnevin and looking at the rain radar picture that appears to be the end of it. It's 16.7C now.
    0.6mm? :confused: I'm only up the road and that rain was quite heavy for the few hours it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Xenji wrote: »
    The rain has finally let up in Castlebar, we got 26.3mm today.

It must have been a lot heavier in other parts than here. Today's total in Glasnevin was 1.0mm. The temperature currently is 18.4C, which is today's high, with RH of 82%.

It must have been a lot heavier in other parts than here. Today's total in Glasnevin was 1.0mm. The temperature currently is 18.4C, which is today's high, with RH of 82%.

Was just talking to a neighbour and they said they were in Dublin today (they didn't say which part), but said that the rain was very light and patchy there.

Here at Dunshaughlin we had at least 3 hours of heavy steady rain and lighter showers afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just 1.0mm here too in Dublin 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

It's mad the local differences. We are in North County Dublin and it lashed down. It know as we were out walking in park during it! Continued like that until about 2 then drizzlely so definitely more than 1mm here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Was just talking to a neighbour and they said they were in Dublin today (they didn't say which part), but said that the rain was very light and patchy there.

Here at Dunshaughlin we had at least 3 hours of heavy steady rain and lighter showers afterwards.

It was patchy here in Artane, I was actually surprised when people said "It's lashing in Dublin" on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It's been on and off moderate to heavy rain like showers in Dublin 13 rather than persistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yep knew it 5.7mm so far today at Dublin airport which is beside us. Feck off rain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Past this WE I think we need to prepare for yet another autumnal like August:(

appledrop wrote: »
    Yep knew it 5.7mm so far today at Dublin airport which is beside us. Feck off rain!
    ..... and 6mm in my backyard, it will be interesting to see the official totals from D.A.,Casement and the PP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Also a report on Sky News earlier about a corn field somewhere in England that caught fire due to the heat and prolonged drought.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Gerry Murphy on after the RTE News forecasting mixed weather for Monday. At least he didn`t mention sleet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Looks like the 4 nice days that were forecast have shrunk to 2.

At least the rain felt warm on the skin today.

Advertisement