Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2018 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Are you talking about wanting the grass or people to f*ck off and die in your last sentence?

I'd imagine both tbh!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Just been looking at the weather forecast after the RTE lunchtime news. At the end of the forecast the weather chart shows a maximum daily temperature of 12c for next Tuesday. Even if it is an averaged temperature this seems too low to be accurate and not in line with any forecast that I have read on the weather forum here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I'd imagine both tbh!

ah yeah because all the people who were scorching and prayed for a little rain should die a horrible death and kiddy fiddlers and cold blood murderers and people committing heinous acts should live lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,655 ✭✭✭giveitholly

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I'd imagine both tbh!

A bit harsh to be honest!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

i guess Sat 24 then will have to be used

• Advertisement

St Swithins Day rain period - final day tomorrow ... so its due to get better from then on :D

(but don't hold me to that - refunds not accepted)

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭alentejo

Very Autumnal today. Plus saw kids in school uniform. Me thinks it's nearly time to start the Autumn 2018 thread!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

alentejo wrote: »
    Very Autumnal today. Plus saw kids in school uniform. Me thinks it's nearly time to start the Autumn 2018 thread!

The meteorological autumn doesn`t start until 1st September so we will have to wait until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Gavlor wrote: »
    If I was a castlebarian would emigrate from there Solely based on the reports over the summer from that area!

We had a good end to May and a good June and a few days at the start of July, so it was not all bad.

Some very heavy showers here in the last hour, 14.8mm of rain since midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Sill pretty gusty in cork city. All my flower pots are falling over and destroying the plants :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I was out of the country pretty much consistent from mid June to end of July. Was home a few weekends in July which were better than average but not heatwave type. August has been bang average not much sun not much rain just that Irish nothingness we invariably get. I was home the last weekend in June and it was fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭barneyrub

I actually cannot remember the last day of sunshine we had here in Sligo. Actually we had 1 there 2 sundays ago. But the last 5/6 weeks have been grim!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Showery with good bright spells here near Tralee, very pleasant in the afternoon. Got up to 16.4C and currently 12.8C and feeling fresh in the steady WNW wind. Picking up a few blustery showers this evening.

Cooler down underground today in Crag Cave, Castleisland where it is said to be a constant 10C all year round.

Q59jkxi.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Can feel it quite a bit cooler tonight in Cork City and blustery too....almost autumnal :-P

• Site Banned Posts: 210 ✭✭Sardine

Oh well, it’s only 9 months or so until we get some warm weather again!

Sardine wrote: »
    Oh well, it’s only 9 months or so until we get some warm weather again!

sometime even October can be quite pleasantly warm in the daytime temp if its sunny ..(nights chilly though)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

sometime even October can be quite pleasantly warm in the daytime temp if its sunny ..(nights chilly though)

11 October 2010 remains one of my favourite days of my life and the weather played its part. It was blue skies throughout the day and I think parts reached or went near 20c. It was a perfect day weather wise.

Satellite image for that day from NASA.

iV1Ui5L.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Not weather as such. But clear ish sky's here in Dublin. Mars is looking fantastic to the bottom right of the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Sure is, just had a look out myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Yep, was just out with the telescope, great night out there.

• Advertisement

Not weather as such. But clear ish sky's here in Dublin. Mars is looking fantastic to the bottom right of the moon.

just looked out - too cloudy here :(

got a sony camcorder with 120x zoom on it was hoping to film moon / mars .. but it too cloudy

EDIT: got a pic of the moon out of the living room window ... but could not see mars

459249.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's so cold out tonight, lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

MJohnston wrote: »
    It's so cold out tonight, lovely!

I forgot that my house makes noises when it cools and heats!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mrsnrub2.0

The humidity is gone.

I can finally sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

Showery with good bright spells here near Tralee, very pleasant in the afternoon. Got up to 16.4C and currently 12.8C and feeling fresh in the steady WNW wind. Picking up a few blustery showers this evening.

Cooler down underground today in Crag Cave, Castleisland where it is said to be a constant 10C all year round.

Q59jkxi.jpg?1

Ah Meteorite I didn't find it so pleasant today in the afternoon and where I am in Tralee, the showers continued on.

Not too surprised at this weather as, today being my birthday, obviously it's a date I'd notice, and the weather is very rarely good. That said,though heat enthusiast as I am, I still wouldn't be anywhere else on my birthday than at home with my loved ones.

Overall, while we've had some spectacular weather this summer, the high point for me being those wonderful long, long, sunny days in June, it has very much bottomed out these past few weeks with August being typically dreary and blustery.

The flower pots and hanging baskets tell it exactly as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

October is fine in Dublin, I have the most summery picture ever from October 2014, short t-shirt but tan weather has long gone. It hasn't really been properly sunny conditions since early July but very warm. 6/10 summer imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

shakeitoff wrote: »
    October is fine in Dublin, I have the most summery picture ever from October 2014, short t-shirt but tan weather has long gone. It hasn't really been properly sunny conditions since early July but very warm. 6/10 summer imo.

It gets a 9/10 for me, best Summer I have experienced. Only November/December 2010 get the perfect tens.

https://twitter.com/RRphoto_eu/status/1032755721409110016

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

These starry photos remind me - is there any good way of composing a stargazing forecast? As in, what kind of weather-specific factors would you be looking for?

The obvious ones I can think of:
    - Visibility
    - Cloud cover

But are there other factors to look out for - what kind of weather is going to give the perfect view of the stars?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

MJohnston wrote: »
    These starry photos remind me - is there any good way of composing a stargazing forecast? As in, what kind of weather-specific factors would you be looking for?

The obvious ones I can think of:
    - Visibility
    - Cloud cover

But are there other factors to look out for - what kind of weather is going to give the perfect view of the stars?

Position of the Jetstream. If its overhead it can make the 'Seeing'
    bad. Bad Seeing makes the stars twinkle more and makes views of the planets a mushy mess. Its caused by the different refractive index's of different layers of moving air in the atmosphere. It looks like heat haze over a hot road surface.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 210 ✭✭Sardine

Freezing out there this morning! Horrible cold wind. I can't feel my hands from cycling to work. Can't believe I'll be needing gloves in August! Is it normal to get this cold?

Advertisement