Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2018 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

Sardine wrote: »
    Freezing out there this morning! Horrible cold wind. I can't feel my hands from cycling to work. Can't believe I'll be needing gloves in August! Is it normal to get this cold?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2Bm6EB2WvxaCNv-bOylcKcYkhz06wpgvY2CCyMbOFQLbU8pBc

• Site Banned Posts: 210 ✭✭Sardine

inthehat wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2Bm6EB2WvxaCNv-bOylcKcYkhz06wpgvY2CCyMbOFQLbU8pBc

If I ever get a tattoo that's what I'm getting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Hailstones coming down in Kildare right now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭pad199207

Hefty downpour in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭acequion

If I thought yesterday was bad,today is absolutely dire in Tralee.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Downpour here at the minute, if theres thunder i wont hear it with the noise of the rain, no lawns will be cut today

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

absolutely dire day here. Just back from Dublin and it poured rain and hail all the way to Dunshaughlin. Feeling bitterly cold with a current temperature, a miserable 9C. Hard to believe this is August.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

loud thunder in the distance, skies very dark.

• Site Banned Posts: 210 ✭✭Sardine

Gonzo wrote: »
    absolutely dire day here. Just back from Dublin and it poured rain and hail all the way to Dunshaughlin. Feeling bitterly cold with a current temperature, a miserable 9C. Hard to believe this is August.

I can't remember a colder day in summer. I can't remember much though in general. But this morning was feckin' freezing coming into work.
    Off to Spain on Monday for 2 weeks, a sizzling 32c where I'm going at the moment. Try and take that away from me, Irish summer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Artane2002

9c at 3pm in August is horrible. To think 20c was recorded in November in 2015...

Frequent heavy rain and hail showers today in Dublin. Heavy rain shower at the moment and it is cold. There were some sunny spells to be fair though.

Imagine if we had showers in winter with northwesterlies... (this statement is for the east coast)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,560 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Artane2002 wrote: »
    9c at 3pm in August is horrible. To think 20c was recorded in November in 2015...

When I said the temperatures would be very low coming off the cold North Atlantic responding with Summer is over comments, this is what I was alerting to.

• Site Banned Posts: 55 ✭✭Candyshell

Would have thought this is fairly normal for August, it's Autumn, it gets nippy in the second half of August.

Sardine wrote: »
    I can't remember a colder day in summer. I can't remember much though in general. But this morning was feckin' freezing coming into work.
    Off to Spain on Monday for 2 weeks, a sizzling 32c where I'm going at the moment. Try and take that away from me, Irish summer!!

I'm off to Fuengirola on Tuesday, expecting about 34C there next Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭appledrop

That was a mad drive through Kildare! Thunder, lightening, hailstones + temperature dropped to 8 degrees!!

This was followed by sunshine + rainbows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I'm off to Fuengirola on Tuesday, expecting about 34C there next Wednesday.

Careful now the grass might be burned or you mightn’t be able to sleep properly....

Enjoy well jealous of you. Today was like November. Cold driving rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

lads , yes the temp drops to 9c in a shower but its been 13/ 14 all day otherwise in fairness ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 48,206 ✭✭✭✭km79

Oops69 wrote: »
    lads , yes the temp drops to 9c in a shower but its been 13/ 14 all day otherwise in fairness ffs

And it's summer ?
    Not sure what your point is
    I am feckin cold today anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Oops69 wrote: »

13/14c is still pretty poor. It should be closer to 18c, so that's 4/5c below average. Regardless of temperatures, getting caught out in frequent hail/rain showers isn't fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

Hahaha it's so weird to think it was like 25 degrees last week, it felt like LA in Dublin on Monday night, today is such a typical fresh and breezy ****e irish day.

shakeitoff wrote: »
    Hahaha it's so weird to think it was like 25 degrees last week, it felt like LA in Dublin on Monday night, today is such a typical fresh and breezy ****e irish day.

today was cold, even by Irish Summer standards. Temperatures dropping into the single digits in the afternoon in August isn't very normal even for our country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭appledrop

today was cold, even by Irish Summer standards. Temperatures dropping into the single digits in the afternoon in August isn't very normal even for our country.

Freezing is right. I thought the car temperature gauge was broken when it hit 8 degrees! Yes did go back to 13 degrees but that breeze makes it much colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭acequion

Candyshell wrote: »
    Would have thought this is fairly normal for August, it's Autumn, it gets nippy in the second half of August.

No. 9c is not normal for August anywhere except in the southern hemisphere where it's winter.

And no it doesn't get nippy in the second half of August. Don't know where you've been these past few years but late Aug /early Sept is generally when we get nice weather.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Saw Kilkenny weather tweet about this .Wondering if this could be the smoke trail brought over from Canada showing up on the Sat Pic or is it the Jet or smoke caught up in the Jet. Not showing up as precipitable cloud.

https://twitter.com/kilkennyweather/status/1033054249012350976

latest-vis-uk_gqa8.jpg

NsFEgBd.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

acequion wrote: »
    No. 9c is not normal for August anywhere except in the southern hemisphere where it's winter.

And no it doesn't get nippy in the second half of August. Don't know where you've been these past few years but late Aug /early Sept is generally when we get nice weather.

Alright alright, 9c was not your max and bejaysus we all know it was a ****e day.

Although, I do have to agree that these days aren't particularly unheard of. Ireland can get 9c with blustery showers in summer, winter, spring and autumn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

At Doilin peer lovely bright morning but a skinning breeze. The Europeans dressed appropriately the Irish lolling around in shorts (me excluded).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,560 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

2.3c the low at Moore Park, Co. Cork this morning. It's not too often the temperatures get this low in August in Ireland especially as far south as Cork.

It's a lovely sunny but chilly morning in Dublin 13.

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1033243012577550337

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Beautiful bright calm morning here in Tralee. Cumulus bubbling up under higher Altocumulus. 15.8C

12y6GNt.jpg?1

latest-vis-uk_kut1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 48,206 ✭✭✭✭km79

lovely day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lovely day and roasting in cork/ Kerry. Walked around Coomhola woods and drove over priests leap (terrifying!) and what a beautiful view. The blue sky added to the beauty :)

• Advertisement

very nice day here. All the neighbors cutting the gardens today.

Advertisement