Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2018 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Grand day, felt warm in the sun when i was cutting the grass, has clouded over considerably since about 4

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Lots of heavy rain gathering off the Mayo coast now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,560 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Met Éireann made a small article yesterday here on tornadoes in Ireland, for those interested.

"Tornadoes: An Irish Perspective"

https://www.met.ie/tornadoes-an-irish-perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭acequion

Lovely day and roasting in cork/ Kerry. Walked around Coomhola woods and drove over priests leap (terrifying!) and what a beautiful view. The blue sky added to the beauty :)

In Kerry here and no way was it by any stretch of the imagination, roasting! We, in SW Ireland, feed off scraps weather wise, but let's not get carried away!

Today was a nice day in Kerry, with a max temp of about 18C. And we'll take that.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Artane2002

acequion wrote: »
    In Kerry here and no way was it by any stretch of the imagination, roasting! We, in SW Ireland, feed off scraps weather wise, but let's not get carried away!

Today was a nice day in Kerry, with a max temp of about 18C. And we'll take that.:D

I don't think I'll be able to survive in SW Ireland during winter. It's good to live in the east!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Fantastic day in Kerry. Got out fishing for a couple of hours, felt grand and warm in short sleeves on the coast getting up to 18.8C at my station.

CXj03KB.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭appledrop

Wow actually woke up to rain this morning it's that heavy. Torrential out there. I feel sorry for anyone going to see the Pope in that!

So glad we got out to playground yesterday.

Fantastic day in Kerry. Got out fishing for a couple of hours, felt grand and warm in short sleeves on the coast getting up to 18.8C at my station.

CXj03KB.jpg?1

That is gorgeous. I know we keep saying it but if you could depend on weather like that you need never leave Ireland.

appledrop wrote: »
    Wow actually woke up to rain this morning it's that heavy. Torrential out there. I feel sorry for anyone going to see the Pope in that!

So glad we got out to playground yesterday.

Same here in the south east! - 18mm overnight. Its the most rain we've had in months. We're nearly up to 35mm for the month of August now. Its been a fabulous summer. We'll be talking about it for years to come. Farmers are still in hardship around here though trying to provide fodder for cattle so they'll be delighted with last night's rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭OldRio

Yet more rain in Leitrim. I'll be glad to see the back of this month. August never fails to disappoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭pad199207

12mm in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 48,206 ✭✭✭✭km79

Heaviest rain seemed to miss us in East Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Very heavy rain overnight in coastal west cork. Stopped now but was raining from about 1/-6 ranging from light to heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A dull wet morning in Castlebar, 16mm of rain since midnight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

miserable wet morning here in Dunshaughlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Was in west Clare this morning horrible dreary dull morning. November plus 5 degrees.

Artane2002 wrote: »
    I don't think I'll be able to survive in SW Ireland during winter. It's good to live in the east!

Yes. Weather in the east is much better all round, with crisper,colder winters and warmer, brighter summers. Here in the SW we get the worst of the Atlantic muck year round. Today being a typical example,is awful. Windy,mucky, misty. Yuck!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,206 ✭✭✭✭km79

Feels cold today

Finally starting to clear up now. 2018 sure loves breaking trends... I'm pretty sure all the previous years had nice weather here on the 26th of August except 2018.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today was not a very good day, plenty of short, sharp showers and cool conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 210 ✭✭Sardine

Absolutely manky day in Dublin, the nice weather seems like a lifetime ago now

2018 sure loves breaking trends... I'm pretty sure all the previous years had nice weather here on the 26th of August except 2018.

Depends on your definition of nice. 26th August 2015 was very blustery with a lot of showers on a fresh southwesterly wind. 26th August 2009 started off wet with a low that contained the remnants of tropical storm Danny.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

First full day of rain here in a long time. The grass is recovering nicely of late

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Depends on your definition of nice. 26th August 2015 was very blustery with a lot of showers on a fresh southwesterly wind. 26th August 2009 started off wet with a low that contained the remnants of tropical storm Danny.

Nice to me is mostly sunny, even if there are a few showers. I wasn't here on the 26th August 2009 so I missed that event. Thanks for your research though!

Nice to me is mostly sunny, even if there are a few showers. I wasn't here on the 26th August 2009 so I missed that event. Thanks for your research though!

Research, that came off the top of my head from watching BBC forecasts through the years :p

I'm off to southern Spain on Tuesday, so tomorrow is my last day of Summer 2018 in Ireland. I regard a temperature of 21C / 70F as a magical dividing line between mild and warm. This is the temperature I really like to see as much as possible between late Spring and early Autumn, covering as much of Summer as possible.

Some years it's a struggle to even find 10 days hitting 21C in certain summers. This year has been quite a feast for warm temperature lovers. There is a high chance that a temperature of 21C will not be achieved at my location between now and the last second of August, so I've decided to take a look at the number of days my location of Dunshaughlin, has reached 21C since winter released it's grip on us back in early May.

May 2018 - 4 days
    June 2018 - 14 days
    July 2018 - 21 days
    August 2018 - 10 days

May and June would have yielded many more days of 21C in the western half of Ireland compared to my location, because we were plagued by a cool onshore east wind for much of May and June, which held temperatures back to the 16-20C temperature range, while the west of Ireland was burning at 28C and above. My location only had 3 properly warm days in June scoring more than 25C.

July was an exceptional month at my location, the warm/hot weather ended fairly quickly across western areas in July, but the heat kept going in eastern areas for several weeks later, which explains my large number of warm days in July. 10 days of July scored more than 25C at my location, a huge improvement over June.

August is also surprising, it has generally felt more autumnal and unsettled with annoying occurrences of drizzly rain and heavy showers and even had two very cold days, however this August has boosted quite a few warm, even hot days. I've had 5 days in excess of 25C this month, that's better than what we had in June, despite the fact that June was a far more settled month.

Hopefully September will yield a few days of 21C+ as it always does, will be interesting to see how many warm days will occur before Autumn really makes it's bite felt from late September.

• Site Banned Posts: 210 ✭✭Sardine

For me once it’s over 20c and mostly sunny for a few days, and we have a few days notice of this so you can plan things around it I’m happy. The few days it got warm in August were kind of samdwitched by **** weather so didn’t really count for me. I’m off to Costa Del Scorchio tomorrow too, I’ll buy you a Mahou Gonzo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭appledrop

I know people are saying few nice days in August but all I can think of is all the rain. I know people will say what am I talking about as levels still low but we have had showers nearly everyday for last two weeks which does my head in. I'd prefer one lashing day like today + dry days.

Saturday was very pleasant but still only about 17 degrees so certainly not a summers day in my mind.

appledrop wrote: »
    I know people are saying few nice days in August but all I can think of is all the rain. I know people will say what am I talking about as levels still low but we have had showers nearly everyday for last two weeks which does my head in. I'd prefer one lashing day like today + dry days.

Saturday was very pleasant but still only about 17 degrees so certainly not a summers day in my mind.

I agree completely. August has been a big let down. It's almost like payback for all the lovely weather earlier in the summer. I normally associate bad, cold summer weather with June and July while late August is usually much better and warmer. Not so this year. I really hope it changes or it will be a very long winter.

Very envious of those posters heading off to the sun this week, but not complaining as I've been away a fair bit and escaped a lot of the bad August weather.

Enjoy guys and bring it back!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Interesting cloud formations over Ireland this morning

459527.jpg

Advertisement