Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2018 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭pauldry

The only cloud formation in Sligo is one of near constant driving rain

Our August 100mm is now surpassed and its a wetter than average month.

Hard to believe but ground beginning to squelch again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Brightening up in Castlebar after a damp start to the day, looks like we could have our wettest August in 9 years, 182mm already so far.

• Site Banned Posts: 210 ✭✭Sardine

Yet another horrible day in Dublin. It’s not raining as such but there seems to be rain in the strong gusts of wind. I hope September is an improvement.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Sardine wrote: »
    Yet another horrible day in Dublin. It’s not raining as such but there seems to be rain in the strong gusts of wind. I hope September is an improvement.

same here, damp morning, outbreaks of drizzly muck with gusty winds and feeling cool. Good thing we got the garden cut on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Sardine wrote: »
    Gonzo wrote: »
    same here, damp morning, outbreaks of drizzly muck with gusty winds and feeling cool. Good thing we got the garden cut on Saturday.

Really. Brightened up around 9am in Bray and its been Sunny ever since. Wicklow mountains seems to be doing its job again for us in Bray and diffusing the clouds. 21ºc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

early strong winds died down.. quiet now in mood and colour... rather restful

MT: I have family on Salt Spring Island and this last week air quality has been dangerous.. Smoke... They took all the firefighters off to tackle mainland fires... I gather it is improving.. they were all wearing masks..

are west coast people here getting any tang of smoke?

West Mayo. offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Cool and windy with occasional showers and also occasional sunny spells in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

been dry all day in cork city, warm in the sun and the breeze thats there is warm too (not very strong either)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭acequion

A big improvement on yesterday here in Tralee but only since the afternoon. Brightening all the while since and making for a lovely sunny evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

What an evening in cork city. Pure blue sky and warm! Had to take off my hoodie! Really nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Turned into a nice enough evening in Dublin, less wind and obviously milder with more in the way of sunshine and no more rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,887 ✭✭✭appledrop

I'm finding it very cold in evening last two nights. It must be the dark evenings that are making the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,206 ✭✭✭✭km79

appledrop wrote: »
    I'm finding it very cold in evening last two nights. It must be the dark evenings that are making the difference.

Same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

the moon is orange. I presume it's the smoke in the atmosphere

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

the moon is orange. I presume it's the smoke in the atmosphere

Just looked out , it sure is and there was a very orange sun setting this evening. Saw some reports of a lot of smoke from the US over France this evening, probably some here also.

Showing up on the charts very high totals to our West.

NkyuaJp.png

Only a camera phone, doesn't do justice to the orange colour, I'm sure others with better cameras will get a good shot.

VixVv57.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭pad199207

Curious here, but can smoke and smoke haze dry out the air? ie affect humidity readings ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Very orange moon here in Dublin first thing this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

Anyone else see the Dune-esque red sun this morning? It was stunning, I've only ever seen that kind of morning sun in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Remarkable the effect that smoke can have on our weather - it would probably be quite a bright, blue, sunny day in Dublin today if not for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭pad199207

1_CFD00_DC_5_A2_C_4_F45_A90_D_1_C24_C0_B07308.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A cloudy dark morning here in Castlebarbut holding dry at the moment. a real back to school feel....

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭alentejo

In Dollymount. F*** freezing. Wind is relentless

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

sryanbruen wrote: »
    2.3c the low at Moore Park, Co. Cork this morning. It's not too often the temperatures get this low in August in Ireland especially as far south as Cork.
    inthehat wrote: »
    Same here in the south east! - 18mm overnight. Its the most rain we've had in months.

I picked a bad weekend to go camping in the south east!

It was an absolutely freezing night on Friday into Saturday, a beautiful morning and afternoon on Saturday, and a horror show from the early morning of Sunday into the afternoon with the torrential non stop rain and ridiculously violent wind. At least it wan't as cold as the previous night.

Typical Irish camping weather I suppose you could argue :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭squarecircles

airpressure.png

ukmaxtemp.png

ukmaxtemp.png

ukmaxtemp.png

ukmaxtemp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

drummers drumming on the metal roof.... deluging non stop and chilly. Still preferable to the Scorch!

Graces7 wrote: »
    drummers drumming on the metal roof.... deluging non stop and chilly. Still preferable to the Scorch!

Wow how we humans differ :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Unusually dark here for the time of day. Rain not heavy but sky has the mid-Winter evening darkness about it. Very strange.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Unusually dark here for the time of day. Rain not heavy but sky has the mid-Winter evening darkness about it. Very strange.

Ditto in West Clare, very dark, one would think the street lights will be on imminently.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Ditto in West Clare, very dark, one would think the street lights will be on imminently.

And ditto in Tralee. Like an evening in October.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

The front has cleared through here in Castlebar leaving blue skies and sunny spells. Some change in 30 minutes

Advertisement