Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2018 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Very chilly this morning and what a dark dreary evening. I don’t mind though as I endured the recent heatwave in France sans ac...this is a very pleasant change, pretty rough trying to sleep in (indoor) night time temps of 33c.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Superb, the Indian summer. I had a feeling it wasn't over.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'm not even going to open that link as you can tell it's full of sh*te. Met Éireann aren't forecasting that.

I wouldn't call it sensationalism, I'd call it blatant lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭lolie

circadian wrote: »
    Anyone else see the Dune-esque red sun this morning? It was stunning, I've only ever seen that kind of morning sun in Japan.

Yeah seen that in dublin this morning at 7.30. A lovely orange colour that time, cool to see

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 210 ✭✭Sardine

Graces7 wrote: »
    drummers drumming on the metal roof.... deluging non stop and chilly. Still preferable to the Scorch!

From reading this thread you're not happy unless it's absolutely bucketing down and no warmer than 15c. I suppose a bloody offshore Mayo island is the best place for you.

it could be right - i have known before where the weather has picked up immediately when the kids go back to school - a bit like that phenomenon when it starts getting sweltering doing their leaving certs etc and they are stuck inside

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I'm not even going to open that link as you can tell it's full of sh*te. Met Éireann aren't forecasting that.

So click-bait you reckon yeah? :D

August is just awful every years. I can't remember a prolonged period of sun in August in Ireland. I was hoping the weather would stay terrible there until I get home being honest!

JCX BXC wrote: »

Every couple of days there's some sensational weather headline on one or other of the tabloids, -that we're going to be snowed in , or scorched, or washed out of it in floods. Thing is, - it's scary how many people believe it and quote it as gospel, and warn me that it's going to be hotter than Dubai as they check my groceries through or cut my hair. Do they not see the difference between click-bait and responsible reporting???? Tsk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Sardine wrote: »
    From reading this thread you're not happy unless it's absolutely bucketing down and no warmer than 15c. I suppose a bloody offshore Mayo island is the best place for you.

Everyone has different tolerances for this and that - isn't that what makes the thread interesting.
    It has been a ****e August though. Heating on. It went on at the start of September last year. We might get a decent September yet. A lot of farmers could do with one. Ground in the west of Ireland is getting soft and showing poaching of ground.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm in southern Spain now and it's roasting hot, currently 25C at midnight, expected to get to 31C tomorrow.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the second and third week of September produces some very nice settled weather with temperatures in the high teens to low 20s. I really don't want the cold and wet conditions to set in until at least October.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I'm in southern Spain now and it's roasting hot, currently 25C at midnight, expected to get to 31C tomorrow.

Yes, great isn't it! Sat outside in a vest now. Even during our heatwave in Ireland I got chilly at night outside. I love this weather.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yes, great isn't it! Sat outside in a vest now. Even during our heatwave in Ireland I got chilly at night outside. I love this weather.

yep, you expect it to chill after 8pm but the heat still rages even into the small hours, I love it too.

Roaches seem to like this weather though, I hate them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Rotten night in cork city. Cold and raining. :(

Everyone has different tolerances for this and that - isn't that what makes the thread interesting.
    It has been a ****e August though. Heating on. It went on at the start of September last year. We might get a decent September yet. A lot of farmers could do with one. Ground in the west of Ireland is getting soft and showing poaching of ground.

I've had my heating on as well - and price of oil seems to be up at the mo. have been finding that 20'c on the roomstats is not taking the edge off the rooms , they are a bit chilly, and things like bath towels werent drying and clothes were feeling a bit damp so have had to turn the roomstats up to 21'c to get rooms a nice temperature ... mind you a lot of damp rainy days here so maybe thats why things are feeling damp. temperature outside today was 13'c - its now 12.30am wed @7'c here

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A clear, cool morning with the sweet breath of autumn chill in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Back to school day (well I ruction) :(. Clear morning in cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭OldRio

Who needs computers and forecasters and weather models? It's the first day back at school. The sun is shining and I'll hazard a guess that we will have the best week of weather in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

What is your problem? I enjoy hearing what it’s like on an offshore island in comparison to the mainland. I also like Graces use of descriptive language to describe this. It’s a dying art unfortunately. Where are you based? I usually find the unexplained aggressive behaviour in relation to things like this are from keyboard warriors sitting in small shoeboxes in some urban centre foaming at the mouth with jealousy.

Carol25 wrote: »
    I usually find the unexplained aggressive behaviour in relation to things like this are from keyboard warriors sitting in small shoeboxes in some urban centre foaming at the mouth with jealousy.

I hope the irony of this statement isn't lost on you.

Carol25 wrote: »
    What is your problem? I enjoy hearing what it’s like on an offshore island in comparison to the mainland. I also like Graces use of descriptive language to describe this. It’s a dying art unfortunately. Where are you based? I usually find the unexplained aggressive behaviour in relation to things like this are from keyboard warriors sitting in small shoeboxes in some urban centre foaming at the mouth with jealousy.

Currently in my families Spanish villa and normally live near the sea in Dublin. What am I jealous of again?

Currently in my families Spanish villa and normally live near the sea in Dublin. What am I jealous of again?

a bittin' of rain and lower temperatures I would say at the moment :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mod Note

Can we get the thread back on to the topic of weather please.

If you want to make personal remarks about another contributor, this is not the place to do it!

Thanks

loving the heat here in southern Spain but delighted that it looks like Ireland is going to see increasingly dry and warm conditions over the next week. I am hoping the mild and dry conditions will continue from then into early October, would be nice to have a few final bbq's of 2018 when I get home.

Real cool feeling outside this evening, reminds me of late October/November.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cool night ahead,

10pm met reports:
    Mount Dillon 8 degrees
    Dublin airport 9 degrees
    Athenry 9 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Personally I can't wait to see the first ground frost of the season here.

Grand day in Dublin, mild but more clouds than sunshine after a lovely start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Cool night ahead,

10pm met reports:
    Mount Dillon 8 degrees
    Dublin airport 9 degrees
    Athenry 9 degrees

Still 12.1C here in Glasnevin, and 12C in Phoenix Park at 2200.

Advertisement