Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2018 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

appledrop wrote: »
    I don't think that fair. June + July were amazing. But nothing out of ordinary in August.

I'm sure it varies greatly depending on where you are but for me in the Dublin area many days were cloudy but still consistently above 20 degrees and mostly dry.

This last week or so is the first bout of consistently cool weather since May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Loved the Sunshine and the many swimming opportunities this summer. but for my farm it was horrendous. If I was to vote for 2018 or 1995 for summer of a lifetime I would go for 95. You got great weather across all 3 months then while this August not bad but disappointingly average compared to 95. There was a drought in 1995 but where I live it was not as severe as this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Artane2002

It's too hard to get a full summer of perfect weather in this country. June and July were great and August has been average, even August had a nice first week excluding the rain on the 1st. At least it's not 2012 all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

sryanbruen wrote: »
    It’s been really beautiful since I said that, plenty of blue skies.

It's become completely cloudy now in Glasnevin. It's 18.1C now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Drizzling since 7am this morning here in cork city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I don't think that fair. June + July were amazing. But nothing out of ordinary in August.

Yes, like I said, one of the best summers in memory!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very hot again today in Fuengirola, currently 30C with a real feel of 34C due to 60% humidity. Could reach the mid 30's here next Tuesday and Wednesday.

Ireland looks settled with decent conditions for the majority of the time that I am away, but sadly this looks like breaking as soon as I get back and we could be into autumn proper by the end of the second week of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

sea haar that turned to drizzle and now rain. Mild enough with a good breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    It's become completely cloudy now in Glasnevin. It's 18.1C now.

Still a lot of sun in Dublin 13 and when I was in Swords too.

Still a lot of sun in Dublin 13 and when I was in Swords too.

Lucky you. It's cloudy here in Crumlin.

• Advertisement

Artane2002 wrote: »

Coming into Dublin 13.

uZBxByq.png

The cloudy conditions that you guys speak of seem to be heading my way gradually.

Artane2002 wrote: »

A small bit of hazy sunshine in Glasnevin but mostly cloudy. But the temperature's still rising. It's 19.1C now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

21.0c currently in West Clare, max of 21.2c today. Mostly cloudy, some sunny intervals, completely dry. Forecast max was 19c wasn't it?

A small bit of hazy sunshine in Glasnevin but mostly cloudy. But the temperature's still rising. It's 19.1C now.

I can see blue skies when looking north but it's cloudy here unfortunately. Ah well, at least we got some sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Gonzo wrote: »
    very hot again today in Fuengirola, currently 30C with a real feel of 34C due to 60% humidity. Could reach the mid 30's here next Tuesday and Wednesday.

Ireland looks settled with decent conditions for the majority of the time that I am away, but sadly this looks like breaking as soon as I get back and we could be into autumn proper by the end of the second week of September.

I have to say I'm not particularly sympathetic!

We actually had a lovely August in Kilkenny. Only 33mm of rain here for the month and lots of warm days with as much sun as cloud. And of course June and July were fabulous. So I would definitely count it as the best summer i've ever seen.

The sun is shining now in Glasnevin and it's 20.2C so not a bad last day of summer.

The sun is shining now in Glasnevin and it's 20.2C so not a bad last day of summer.

I'm back up in Beaumont now and it's sunny. For once it's better in North Dublin than South!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

MJohnston wrote: »
    One of the best summers in memory and you still manage to find a negative slant - fair play, you're really committed to the misery!

And are you committed to hyberbole??

Yes it was one of the best summers of recent memory but that's because most summers of recent memory have been total shyte.

It does bug me when a poster puts in a touch of realism and they get "ate"by what I call the denial brigade.

May, June and a lot of July had some really beautiful spells that the whole country got to enjoy. But even in those lovely months, there were some average spells too. August was average at best,with some very poor spells, especially in the west and south west.

So all thing considered, it was a very good summer by recent Irish standards, but please let's not get carried away and let's not cod ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Still drizzling in cork city. Non stop since I woke up for school :(

• Advertisement

acequion wrote: »
    So all thing considered, it was a very good summer by recent Irish standards, but please let's not get carried away and let's not cod ourselves.

Not just by recent Irish standards, all time Irish standards, stat wise that is. Problem with 2018 in comparison to let's say 1995 was that 2018 started early in May unlike 1995 which started in the second half of June and continued into the rest of the season culminating in a really exceptional August.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Verity.

Still drizzling in cork city. Non stop since I woke up for school :(

Not a bad thing I think. Nothing worse than the sun splitting the stones while you look out of the classroom window, reminiscing about the summer holidays. It will be mid-term and Christmas break before you know it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

Sardine wrote: »
    Currently in my families Spanish villa and normally live near the sea in Dublin. What am I jealous of again?[/QUOTE

So I was right about your location being an urban centre. One shoe doesn't fit all and it doesn't suit everyone. Only you know what you're jealous of. Why would someone currently in a Spanish villa based in Dublin have such an attitude to another poster for no reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Not just by recent Irish standards, all time Irish standards, stat wise that is. Problem with 2018 in comparison to let's say 1995 was that 2018 started early in May unlike 1995 which started in the second half of June and continued into the rest of the season culminating in a really exceptional August.

I recall 1995 starting much earlier than second half of June. I remember baking in the heat in early June.

April and May had decent warm spells too. I think the thing about 1995 was the constant blue skies as opposed to the intense heat which came in bouts and spells. Even into late October there were decent spells.

Danno wrote: »
    I recall 1995 starting much earlier than second half of June. I remember baking in the heat in early June.

April and May had decent warm spells too. I think the thing about 1995 was the constant blue skies as opposed to the intense heat which came in bouts and spells. Even into late October there were decent spells.

I can only go by stats as I wasn't alive and the stats say early June 1995 was cool, dull and dry. You sure you're not thinking of 1996 or something? Oak Park for instance had a mean temperature of 13.2c for the first week (1st-7th) of June 1995, compared with 19.7c for the last week (24th-30th). You can find the station's daily maximum and minimum temperatures on the graph below from April to August 1995. I have highlighted periods.

April was very dry and anticyclonic for much of the month. Early May 1995 had some warmth but went down hill afterwards with cool and unsettled conditions.

VXW0F2j.png

Data comes from Met Éireann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭frostypants

Danno wrote: »

I remember it pissing rain the first two weeks of June in 1995 as I was working outside in it. The hot spell started the 20th June I can remember very well :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I remember it pissing rain the first two weeks of June in 1995 as I was working outside in it. The hot spell started the 20th June I can remember very well :)

I remember the 18th June 1995 as being the date that the really warm/hot weather started that summer. Before then the month of June had been unusually cool and unsettled.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭BliainanAir

For me this was an excellent summer. Though from mid July until today it lost it's brilliance. No 'remarkable' heat or wall to wall sunshine in the second half of the summer. Many cool nights like late last week.

1995 was far more impressive for me, when judging a summer to the highest standards. June was very cool to start with but quite dry from the 6th or 7th on. As Cork Boy says it started to take off from 18th June and it's end was as spectacular as this years.

July had very hot weather and sunny, around Sunday 9th July, Munster hurling final day when Clare ended their Munster famine back to 1932. There was a wet interlude mid month and then solid warm dry days, mid 20s C, mixed with sun and cloud for the last 10 days of the month.

August came in in glorious fashion and bar the odd days blip here and there we had spectacular weather up until around the 24th or 25th of August. 30C still being reached around Sunday 20th August. There was a cool down for a few days and it warmed up again for the last few days of the month.

A real top summer for me must have a very good June, July and August. This years August will come in around 0.7C above average temperature wise for most of us. The south and east are at half rainfall. But there have been too many days like today, cloud/sun mixture wise. The temps haven't stayed in the mid 20C range or reached 30C. That's what an excellent August should do.

This summer was front loaded if you like. But it doesn't compare with 1976 or 1995. It has felt like autumn for 10 days now. We all know the phrase 'a long hot summer'. This one just doesn't feel long enough as a large chunk of the really nice weather was in May.

As Danno said, 1995 had very warm weather around the 10th September. October was a month you didn't need to wear a jacket in 1995. The old Kilkenny mean temp came in at 12.5C for the month.

We really have to think back to late June for the 30C temperatures. In 1995 you had them up until the 20th August. I remember 1995 so well as i spent the whole summer picking stones out in the weather on the home farm.

Why referring to September or October though when we haven't even reached that point in 2018? Summer 2006 was similar in ways to 2018 with a mediocre August but Autumn 2006 was the warmest on record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭appledrop

A real top summer for me must have a very good June, July and August. This years August will come in around 0.7C above average temperature wise for most of us. The south and east are at half rainfall. But there have been too many days like today, cloud/sun mixture wise. The temps haven't stayed in the mid 20C range or reached 30C. That's what an excellent August should do.

This summer was front loaded if you like. But it doesn't compare with 1976 or 1995. It has felt like autumn for 10 days now. We all know the phrase 'a long hot summer'. This one just doesn't feel long enough as a large chunk of the really nice weather was in May.

This is it in a nutshell. The start of August was warm but after that very little sunny hot days. Yes a few days over 20 degrees but only barely + most humid cloudy days which are no use I suppose we have short memories + for an amazing summer you need a few memorable days in August which we didn't get this year.

Advertisement