Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Switchaversary is nearly upon us! What's been your best bit Switch owners?

• 07-01-2018 11:37am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, Owners of the Switch.
    It's only 55 days until our first Switchaversary, the 3rd of March.
    Only a year gone by already, when we were still waiting for the big reveal of the launch, on the 1.12.17.

So owners, in the past year, what has been the high point of the system?

Game specific, hardware specific, what has stood out most?

And, as an owner, what would you really like to see change about the system, or what game do you think the console needs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Selling mine for more than it cost me muahha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Zelda was the best part a masterpiece of a game am looking forward to getting one again sooner or later.

Pokemon game would definitely make me get one quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

So many amazing moments. But for me the stand out moment was the first time I got off the Great Plateau in Zelda. That moment where it started to dawn on me just how big this world was. Amazing game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I only have mine since Christmas but the most pleasant surprise in terms of the hardware is the functionality of the left Joycon's 'd-pad'.

I can forsee me playing and trying out a lot more indie titles than I would before. I underestimated the advantages of having a crisp mobile screen to play these on the go. The portability aspect in general has been fantastic, even for just around the house.

I would like to see a way to turn the console on from the Joycons. That's just me being lazy though.

The PS4 feels so meh in comparison!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭Inviere

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I would like to see a way to turn the console on from the Joycons. That's just me being lazy though.

I turn mine on from the Joycons....but then again, I'm never quite sure if it's off or just on standby. I find the power system a bit confusing (mine lives permanently docked, so I never touch it really).

Pac1Man wrote: »

I would like to see a way to turn the console on from the Joycons. That's just me being lazy

If the console is in sleep mode just press the Home button on the right joycon and your switch will turn on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Playing Mario vs Rabbids on the toilet. It's already earned it's place in the household.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Best game Zelda, obviously. Odyssey is good but Zelda was just amazing.

Best moment was when I was playing Mario kart at work, a colleague asked me what I was playing and I did the Joycon unclick and said "no, what are we playing". For one moment I felt like Karen must feel every day. It's glorious.

What do I want? Rewards. Details of VC and Online. A surprise release of Yoshi's Volleyball Smackdown as a free online / local multiplayer to sell Online subs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

F*ck you Karen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Highlight of Switch ownership:
    Breath of the Wild, the jewel in the crown, that I really doubt they'll be able to best for a long, long time!

What I'd like to see:

Cloud saves - These will hopefully come with the paid-online service.

Reduced price ports... kinda - Where there is a record of purchase on the eshop for a Wii U game, offer a discounted 'upgrade' to the Switch version to encourage double-dipping. Obviously there's no way to do similar for physical purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Playing Mario vs Rabbids on the toilet. It's already earned it's place in the household.

11116737_804163879620672_1906340347_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=OTU1MjM4NjA1ODc5NTA3ODA3.2

• Advertisement

• That jaw dropping moment when I flung cappy and took control of a T-Rex!

Missus walks into the game room and gives out and tells me to spend some time with her.
    Grand I said, as I un-docked the Switch and proceeded to follow her into the living room

:Dman-dancing.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Wife got me a Switch for Christmas.

The major moment is when the wife wanted me to keep the Switch docked so she could continue to watch me playing Mario Odyssey. She isn't really into games and would normally give out to me about playing too much. It got to a stage where she didn't want me playing Mario without her! Just shows the magic of that game.

In terms of what I would like - cloud storage or at least the ability to backup saves to a micro SD card.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Gotta be Mario innit. Still takes my breath away every time I play it. Or Breath of the wild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Rocket League made me buy this, Ive already played like 600 games it's the perfect game for playing on the go as I prefer to play online games...

Still ain't touched Zelda since I got it with my console.. Haters gonna hate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Star Lord wrote: »
    Reduced price ports... kinda - Where there is a record of purchase on the eshop for a Wii U game, offer a discounted 'upgrade' to the Switch version to encourage double-dipping. Obviously there's no way to do similar for physical purchases.

Stars registered = original purchaser. Or jammy guy with lazy Mates. Either way, it was good enough for shipping Smash Bros CDs, it's good enough for the eShop discount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Banjo wrote: »
    Stars registered = original purchaser. Or jammy guy with lazy Mates. Either way, it was good enough for shipping Smash Bros CDs, it's good enough for the eShop discount.

Assuming that the stars system is still running, and not steamrolled to make way for something else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,567 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, Owners of the Switch.
    It's only 55 days until our first Switchaversary, the 3rd of March.
    Only a year gone by already, when we were still waiting for the big reveal of the launch, on the 1.12.17.

So owners, in the past year, what has been the high point of the system?

Game specific, hardware specific, what has stood out most?

And, as an owner, what would you really like to see change about the system, or what game do you think the console needs?

Switchaversary sounds like a rival console being released. Are Sega back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Switchaversary sounds like a rival console being released. Are Sega back?

No (obviously), but it begs the question of a direct rival to the Switch being released. If the Switch continues along its current sales trajectory, then it's only a matter of time. Can I see Sony or Microsoft releasing a hybrid? No. But I could certainly see the likes of Apple and/or Google wanting a piece of that pie. Stay tuned :)

manual_man wrote: »
    No (obviously), but it begs the question of a direct rival to the Switch being released. If the Switch continues along its current sales trajectory, then it's only a matter of time. Can I see Sony or Microsoft releasing a hybrid? No. But I could certainly see the likes of Apple and/or Google wanting a piece of that pie. Stay tuned :)

To restore balance to the force?

Nokia must be due to get into mobile gaming again.

• Advertisement

Nokia must be due to get into mobile gaming again.

Sure they're not even making their own phones now.

Sure they're not even making their own phones now.

Keeping their powder dry for the ngage 2.

Re-Ngage

Re-Ngage

Dis-Ngage..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The best thing about the Switch is that it's made gaming convenient for me again. I can play a few mins in bed, in the car waiting, and generally wherever. I've finished more games on the Switch in the past year, than in the last 3 years on Xbox/PC. It's also given old games a breath of life - I've played Skyrim on the 360 and PC, and I'm enjoying it again on the Switch. Let's not forget the fun of Zelda, and Mario Odyssey. Two amazing games, just brilliant.

What I'd like to see is a proper Virtual Console, not just these Arcade ReReleases. I'd love to see a few more Wii U games come over, particularly the Mario platformers and the Zelda remasters. Same goes for some of the Wii games (Skyward Sword is currently the only Zelda game I've never completed [real Zelda game!]) - The usual suspects too. I live in fear of losing my Zelda save! I'd also like 3rd partys to properly support. WWE 2K18 is the prime example here, with an eye on LA Noire. While the latter had a decent performance, required near 50% of the Switch capacity or a memory card is not on. Oh, and do something with the Nintendo Rewards. They suck, and we still don't have Switch stuff.

chrislad wrote: »
    The best thing about the Switch is that it's made gaming convenient for me again. I can play a few mins in bed, in the car waiting, and generally wherever. I've finished more games on the Switch in the past year, than in the last 3 years on Xbox/PC. It's also given old games a breath of life - I've played Skyrim on the 360 and PC, and I'm enjoying it again on the Switch. Let's not forget the fun of Zelda, and Mario Odyssey. Two amazing games, just brilliant.

What I'd like to see is a proper Virtual Console, not just these Arcade ReReleases. I'd love to see a few more Wii U games come over, particularly the Mario platformers and the Zelda remasters. Same goes for some of the Wii games (Skyward Sword is currently the only Zelda game I've never completed [real Zelda game!]) - The usual suspects too. I live in fear of losing my Zelda save! I'd also like 3rd partys to properly support. WWE 2K18 is the prime example here, with an eye on LA Noire. While the latter had a decent performance, required near 50% of the Switch capacity or a memory card is not on. Oh, and do something with the Nintendo Rewards. They suck, and we still don't have Switch stuff.

Feel the exact same. Although I'm not too bothered about the whole L.A. Noire issue taking up memory. As soon as I'm finished that game I'll be deleting it from my SD card. So its only really borrowing space.

I do live in fear though of my Switch crashing and losing all my game saves. Cloud saves are badly needed.

I've also finished way more games in the last 6 months than the last few years on Xbox. L.A. Noire being one that got abandoned back in the day. I'm now about three quarters through it on Switch.

I hate flying but I have a few trips coming up soon that I'm actually looking forward to as the Switch will distract me for a few hours. Quality un-interrupted gaming time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭geotrig

I'm really not sure we'll see cloud saves ,only for the reason of it being portable and if not tethered you wouldnt be able to access said save files ...or else i really dont understand cloud saves .xbone its grand because its not portable ,cant say for sony as no ps4

also to tie in with the thread Zelda !!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

manual_man wrote: »

Apple could easily pull it off with a dock for their phone range, introduce a lag free controller and off to the races they go.

But how does the current crop of iPhones measure up to the Switch in terms of processing power or practical gaming grunt?
    I know their architecture is entirely different so a simple specs list isn't going to be a fair reflection.

Could the 8/X run Skyrim for example?

Wouldn't the annual update model of the Apple handsets play havoc with the need for a stable and predictable development platform and for value for money for the consumer, bearing in mind that while the Switch remains comparatively expensive, it pales before the prices of the Apple handsets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

geotrig wrote: »
    I'm really not sure we'll see cloud saves ,only for the reason of it being portable and if not tethered you wouldnt be able to access said save files ...or else i really dont understand cloud saves .xbone its grand because its not portable ,cant say for sony as no ps4

also to tie in with the thread Zelda !!!!!

Cloud saves would be quite easy to implement.

You clear the first level of Odyssey while connected to the WiFi at home. A copy of that save file is then stored in the cloud and on your device.

Unhook your Switch play for an hour on the train on the way to work. Local save file updates.

When you get to work and you connect to the WiFi the cloud and local save are synced.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Apple could easily pull it off with a dock for their phone range, introduce a lag free controller and off to the races they go.

But how does the current crop of iPhones measure up to the Switch in terms of processing power or practical gaming grunt?
    I know their architecture is entirely different so a simple specs list isn't going to be a fair reflection.

Could the 8/X run Skyrim for example?

Wouldn't the annual update model of the Apple handsets play havoc with the need for a stable and predictable development platform and for value for money for the consumer, bearing in mind that while the Switch remains comparatively expensive, it pales before the prices of the Apple handsets.

They'd have to plan it and then market it appropriately of course. The easiest way would be to make it available on all models with the caveat that weaker powered models can't play the more power hungry games. The more powerful models can play everything. Alternatively just restrict the platform to certain models, but this would definitely píss off more people. Either way some people would feel píssed off but it's about minimizing the level of píssed-off-edness :D . One way to minimize it would be by launching the platform with a few kick àss exclusive games, such that a large portion of people will be willing to upgrade their device to play them.

Advertisement