Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to Ireland to teach

Options
  • 07-01-2018 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi I qualified with a PGCE in Primary teaching in 2015 in London and have been teaching full time in a school here since.  I have been in London for nearly 4 years and  would really like to return to Ireland to live although people keep telling me that I won't have much chance of getting a permanent job in a school. 
    I just had a look at the teaching council registration form and it seems quite straightforward. The only part I am unsure of is the Irish language requirement. It says that you can complete an aptitude test and spend time in a Gaeltacht or complete an adaptation period. I grew up in a Gaeltacht and went to all Irish schools so I am wondering if I could be exempt from this. 
    I was also told by a friend that I would have to complete a Catholic certificate in Religious studies to be able to teach in a Primary school in Ireland and I am wondering if this is still the case as teachers can teach in Catholic schools in the UK without this. 
    I know many Irish teachers have trained in the UK and just hoping that someone who has been in the same situation will be able to offer some advice. :) 
    I would love to return to Ireland after this Summer so would like to have everything prepared in advance.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

The Irish requirements mean you would need to complete either the SCG or OCG exams. These are similar to the Leaving Cert. No getting around these unfortunately.

Religious requirement is there and overlooked in some Catholic ethos schools but better to have it so that your application doesn't just get binned if it is a requirement that the school is looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Availability of jobs can depend on location quite a bit. Certain parts of the country has oversupply e.g. parts of Kerry due to local graduates wishing to return to their home locality whereas other parts of the country can't get teachers e.g. urban centres.
    Make sure you get your gaeilge in order, there is no way to get around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Katy_B

Thanks for the replies. I understood that I would have to do the exam :) I just meant about spending time in the gaeltacht as I already come from one but I will enquire about that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

When I was training, a couple of others from Gaeltacht areas worked around the Gaeltacht requirement by being cúntóirí or in some cases teaching at courses for student teachers. They still had to give up 3 weeks but at least they were paid for it.
    Dublin is experiencing a major shortage of teachers for sub work, maternity leaves and in some areas even fixed-term positions for the year haven't been filled. While you will need the Gaeilge and realistically the religious cert too, I imagine you could pick up short term work if you can show that you are working on those requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Rachel2017

Which option would you recommend apptitude or adaption

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 RoversRudie

Sorry if I'm going off topic here but, does anyone happen to know the price of the SCG/OCG?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Advertisement