Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Homeless in warehouse

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Yeah crazy assumption that it contributes to homeless problem. And i didnt say that the majority are addicts. I just think its not as straightforward as made out

Who’s making out that it’s straight forward, definitely isn’t?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭AllForIt

You are missing the point. Even if every single person who is currently homeless suddenly became a well-functioning, contributing, gainfully employed member of society, we would still have a serious problem. (In fact, a very large proportion of the people who are homeless are well-functioning and contributing.)

The fundamental cause of the crisis is that there are more families than there are homes.

That is the fundamental issue that needs to be addressed.

Yes, but that does not mean that even if their were a physical building for every person in the land that the rents would be affordable for every demographic. I don't doubt that it would help a bit.

Keeping rental availability smaller that what is required from the market creates competition that allows the landlords to up the rent to the highest bidder. Who is going to build to cater for the ppl who can pay the least. Nobody, if they are in it for financial gain.

I think that if their weren't such a divide in terms of pay one would find that all of a sudden you'd see houses being built all over the place to cater for those ppl where the providers were sure to make a profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Stigura

Our current crisis has at its core that there just aren’t enough homes for the number of family units who live here. You can give them as much counseling as you like and find them a job and all the rest, but there still won’t be enough homes.
    The fundamental cause of the crisis is that there are more families than there are homes.

That is the fundamental issue that needs to be addressed.

EU diktat? Import More people! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

We’ll deal with the homeless once we deal with the cultural and housing needs of the travelling community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

AllForIt wrote: »
    Yes, but that does not mean that even if their were a physical building for every person in the land that the rents would be affordable for every demographic. I don't doubt that it would help a bit.

The difference could be made up with a social protection payment.
    Keeping rental availability smaller that what is required from the market creates competition that allows the landlords to up the rent to the highest bidder. Who is going to build to cater for the ppl who can pay the least. Nobody, if they are in it for financial gain.

If there were enough homes, this really wouldn't be possible.

In practice, what happens is that you build new homes and wealthier people move into them. This frees up older homes and less wealthy people can afford to buy them or rent them.

See http://humantransit.org/2017/11/learning-for-portlands-for-rent-signs.html for a discussion.

I think that if their weren't such a divide in terms of pay one would find that all of a sudden you'd see houses being built all over the place to cater for those ppl where the providers were sure to make a profit.

This is basically the same way the car market works. As people with more disposable income buy new cars, they sell their own ones and they become available to people with lower disposable income.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I say let's have less homeless and more speed cameras.

Think veiled 'sure they're all druggies and alcos'

Was thinking of the couples ban, actually.

Advertisement