Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Electric Ireland

Options
  • 07-01-2018 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there
    I have recently started renting a small unit, that has been supplied by a different supplier. However, the previous person (bill in their name) has left a bill of close to 3K outstanding.

If I want to change to electric Ireland, what is the process, as I certainly don't want to be paying off the previous persons bill!

Additionally, what is the best deal available to me. There will be extremely low electricity use. (around 30kw a year!), so I believe there is a higher standing rate? I'm not sure if the premises is classed as a commercial property so not sure if that changes things. Previously I used 100KW in 3 and a half years, and this will be pretty much the exact same!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi antodeco,

Many thanks for your interest in electricity with Electric Ireland.

Once you set up direct debit, you can avail of a €175 switching bonus credit and a 5% saving off the units used on every bill (5.5% with Electric Ireland Online Billing instead of bills by post). You can complete the switch here on the Electric Ireland website (the direct debit form is included also).

A 12-month contract applies for availing of the €175 credit.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Best regards,
    Una

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hi Una,
    Just to confirm, as per my post, there is no issue if the previous owner has a 3K debt with a different provider?

Additionally, as this is a business meter (despite the low usage), is it possible to move it to residential, as the business rates don't make sense due to the low usage.

Thanks

• Company Representative Posts: 361 Verified rep Electric Ireland: Aoife

Hi antodeco,

Thanks for getting back to us.

A change of supplier will need to be accepted by the outgoing electricity provider. We cannot speak for the other supplier or the individual case.

We regret any confusion. As this is a business meter, you will first need to contact the Business team n 1850 372 787 to register as a non-residential customer. As such, the rates given by my colleague would not be available as these as residential only.

The property owner would have to consent to any change to the supply. They would need to confirm that the property will only be used as a residential supply going forward. If the MIC (Maximum Import Capacity) also needs to be changed, an application will also need to made to ESB Networks.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
    Aoife

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hi Aoife,
    Thanks for the clarification. The problem that exists is that the previous supplier won't deal with me as I'm not named on the account! So in theory, I can't change supplier as I can't even request to come off!

Secondly, just in relation the business meter. If I was only using 5-10KW per month, what would the rough cost of this be per billing cycle? I need to work out if I am betting off just trying to get everything disconnected, due to the very low usage (and potential high cost!)

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi antodeco,

If a customer moves into a property and switches it to Electric Ireland, any outstanding balance owed by the previous occupant to the previous electricity/gas provider for that property is not of concern to Electric Ireland. Electric Ireland will just bill the new customer from the point of their switching date/meter-reading, anything before that is not of relevance.

So all you need to do is switch to Electric Ireland with the form linked to earlier. You do not need to contact the current provider - you are not liable for the balance owed by the previous occupant. When your switch is processing, a notification will be sent to the current provider that the property is being switched, and they have to give their acceptance of this. If there is a delay with your switch, contact Electric Ireland to look into this for you.

As long as the debt remains outstanding, correspondence from the previous provider will continue to be sent to the property if the previous occupant has not provided them with a new correspondence address. However, this correspondence will just be in the name of the previous occupant. You would not be liable for it - bill liability is based on name/account-holder rather than MPRN/GPRN/property.

If someone else takes over a property for payment of energy supply while a bill is still owed by the previous occupant, contact will just be made with the previous occupant for the final balance. Disconnection is not a concern either as a customer would not be disconnected due to a balance owed by the previous occupant (so long as the previous occupant's account has been closed by the new occupant opening an account in their name).

We recommend contacting the Business team regarding your rates query.

Best regards,
    Una

• Advertisement
Advertisement