Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edenderry- How is this place? Work in Dublin

Options
  • 07-01-2018 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey friends,
    We are looking to buy a house, but the max we can afford at the moment is 190K. There are absolutely no houses in Dublin within this budget except in few rough areas. My husband and I both work in Dublin. We have a 2 year old baby.
    While searching we found few good houses in Edenderry within our budget, and its 55 km away from our worksite and will take 1hr drive. I am looking for information's such as anybody commuting from Edenderry to Dublin and what it is like? Also how is this town to raise kids?
    Please let us know ur thoughts about this subject.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭appledrop

Edebderry has one of the highest vacant commercial premises in the country. A drive through the town will show you that. There is no way it's an hour drive to Dublin. Yes maybe at 11pm on a weeknight but not in peak traffic. I don't know how to connect to an article but even their own regional paper the offlay express on 12th Oct 2017 points out all the problems. Says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What part of Dublin will you be working in?

Bray or Arklow might be a better option

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jetsy

ted1 wrote: »
    What part of Dublin will you be working in?

Bray or Arklow might be a better option

Working in St James Hospital

You would be mad to move here. If you are going to move down country then at least live somewhere with access to a train station. This drive will be a nightmare. Also I noticed you mentioned you are both working in Dublin + have a small child. I don't know what your childcare arrangements are but bear in mind in these smaller towns not the same amount of creches etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jetsy

appledrop wrote: »
    You would be mad to move here. If you are going to move down country then at least live somewhere with access to a train station. This drive will be a nightmare. Also I noticed you mentioned you are both working in Dublin + have a small child. I don't know what your childcare arrangements are but bear in mind in these smaller towns not the same amount of creches etc.
    thank you so much. I think I should drop the plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I used to work with a guy from a rural part of Co. Offaly. His children attended a national (primary) school) in the local vlllage but the nearest secondary school he could send his son to was in Edenderry which he said he would not send him to because it was a 'rough' town. He expressed no view on the quality of the boys' secondary school, just the fact that it was not a nice town.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It is very hard isn't it to find somewhere to live.

Could I suggest that you try Kildare, put it in the search box on myhome.ie with the max price, have a list of towns that have a train station written out, and you'd never know. I've just had a look there, and there are some interesting properties alright around your budget.

The trains from Newbridge, Kildare Town, Naas/Sallins etc. stop at Heuston which is close to the hospital. Luas or Dublin bikes from there if your other half works elsewhere.

Then if you find a spot, stick a question on the Kildare forum or Accom and property and get the views of those living there.

Best of luck to you. Don't give up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

If you're willing to go to Edenderry then look at Tullamore which is a far nicer town and the train will have you at Heuston in an hour. Edenderry would be on par with the places you can buy in Dublin for €190k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Tullamore Portarlington Monastervin
    All on the Heuston train route and very accessible to St James’

Kildare would definitely be a good option. Just be careful as some places are very rural or might be out of your price range. Like other poster said ask here + people will let you know about the place. I have seen houses advertised as Naas when 25 mins away! If you can get somewhere near train station communte could be viable. However from experience of others I think both partner's doing the commute is very difficult especially with baby. If one of you could get something more local then ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

I suggest renting down there for a year to get a feel for the commute and the locality.

Was in similar situation 10 years ago...

Just be careful about costs. I've seen a lot of people during the boom who couldn't afford to buy in Dublin so bought down the country. Yes they got a bigger house but still had a mortgage to pay + huge expenses for monthly train tickets, petrol etc. These costs have to be factored in + also further away from family + friends. I understand limited with budget but if you settled for somewhere smaller like an apt in Dublin it might be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Someone once said to me that Edenderry is the type of place that people take their doorsteps in at night... I think that means it is rough!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I would pick Athy before Edenderry, it has some rough spots, but good schools, plenty of sports facilities, train to Dublin , 10 minutes to m9 . As a previous poster said rent for a year then decide

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

If working in St James Hospital, what about looking at houses in Tallaght direction? The citywest estates can be quite nice and are on the red line luas. Also Kingswood - I visited a friend there a few years ago, and it felt very mature, settled area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I've been looking at Edenderry, as well as other commuter towns recently with my other half, as we're in the market for an affordable home without going too far outside Dublin where we have work and family ties.

We've visited all these towns a few times now and walked around, chatted to locals etc. Trim is my favourite by a mile but it's pricey enough. I don't think Edenderry is such a bad place as is being made out here. Plenty of nice people floating around, great places to eat, and kinda cool having Dublin, Mullingar or Kildare Village a half hours drive away.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

condra wrote: »
    I've been looking at Edenderry, as well as other commuter towns recently with my other half, as we're in the market for an affordable home without going too far outside Dublin where we have work and family ties.

We've visited all these towns a few times now and walked around, chatted to locals etc. Trim is my favourite by a mile but it's pricey enough. I don't think Edenderry is such a bad place as is being made out here. Plenty of nice people floating around, great places to eat, and kinda cool having Dublin, Mullingar or Kildare Village a half hours drive away.

I've just bought a house Edenderry myself, going through all the paperwork at the moment. I've friends from the town and always found it a grand place when visiting.

I've one friend who hates the place, but he wants the social scene of Dublin... And another who loves it cause it's quiet. For myself, with the odd hours I work, a nice house and quiet neighbours are what I want. I don't care for clubs and drinking every weekend, so the place suits me to down to the ground.

Prices in the town are good for houses, the drive to Dublin is about an hour, though at rush hour you will hit traffic on the N4. There's also plenty of shops and restaurants (Tesco Extra, Aldi, Lidl). Personally I'm very excited to be getting the keys soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,059 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

nimrod86 wrote: »
    I've just bought a house Edenderry myself, going through all the paperwork at the moment. I've friends from the town and always found it a grand place when visiting.

I've one friend who hates the place, but he wants the social scene of Dublin... And another who loves it cause it's quiet. For myself, with the odd hours I work, a nice house and quiet neighbours are what I want. I don't care for clubs and drinking every weekend, so the place suits me to down to the ground.

Prices in the town are good for houses, the drive to Dublin is about an hour, though at rush hour you will hit traffic on the N4. There's also plenty of shops and restaurants (Tesco Extra, Aldi, Lidl). Personally I'm very excited to be getting the keys soon!

There is also a Dunnes Stores, a Centra and a Spar as well as a hardware store or two, a library a swimming pool and pitches for both GAA and Sooccar as well as a another pitch.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

nimrod86 wrote: »
    I've just bought a house Edenderry myself

Congrats. We just did the same. Delighted with the decision. Compared to everything else in our price range, Edenderry ticked all the boxes. Exciting stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Apart from Dublin it is a short run to big midland towns like Tullamore, Mullingar, Athlone and Portlaoise. There are plenty attractions ( and distractions) in the general area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Dardania wrote: »
    If working in St James Hospital, what about looking at houses in Tallaght direction? The citywest estates can be quite nice and are on the red line luas. Also Kingswood - I visited a friend there a few years ago, and it felt very mature, settled area.

You wouldn't get a house in Citywest or Kingswood for 190k.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Edgware wrote: »
    Apart from Dublin it is a short run to big midland towns like Tullamore, Mullingar, Athlone and Portlaoise. There are plenty attractions ( and distractions) in the general area.

There's bigger local demand for housing in those towns you mentioned so they're less attractive for people working in Dublin and looking for cheaper housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

coylemj wrote: »
    There's bigger local demand for housing in those towns you mentioned so they're less attractive for people working in Dublin and looking for cheaper housing.
    Sorry but I was just referring to general facilities such as shopping, sports, cinemas etc.
    The big provincial towns will certainly be more expensive than small places like Edenderry, Kilbeggan etc but still competitive compared to Dublin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I don't think Edenderry is as rough a place as people on here are making out but at the same time I wouldn't say it would be the most pleasant place to live having been in the town once it doesn't strike as a lovely place. Like many towns in the midlands there doesn't really seem to have much going for the place.

Advertisement