Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Edenderry

Options
  • 07-01-2018 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey friends,
    We are looking to buy a house, but the max we can afford at the moment is 190K. There are absolutely no houses in Dublin within this budget except in few rough areas. My husband and I both work in Dublin. We have a 2 year old baby.
    While searching we found few good houses in Edenderry within our budget, and its 55 km away from our worksite and will take 1hr drive. I am looking for information's such as anybody commuting from Edenderry to Dublin and what it is like? Also how is this town to raise kids?
    Please let us know ur thoughts about this subject.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

jetsy wrote: »
    Hey friends,
    We are looking to buy a house, but the max we can afford at the moment is 190K. There are absolutely no houses in Dublin within this budget except in few rough areas. My husband and I both work in Dublin. We have a 2 year old baby.
    While searching we found few good houses in Edenderry within our budget, and its 55 km away from our worksite and will take 1hr drive. I am looking for information's such as anybody commuting from Edenderry to Dublin and what it is like? Also how is this town to raise kids?

Where in Edenderry? Avoid Churchview Heights and St Patrick’s Wood like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jetsy

Where in Edenderry? Avoid Churchview Heights and St Patrick’s Wood like the plague.

Boyne Meadows on Dublin road. That's where we are looking at

Boyne Meadows on Dublin road. That's where we are looking at

As things go Boyne Meadows wouldn’t be the worst estate but being honest I wouldn’t be advising you to move down. A lot of socio-economic problems in the town. Always had a rough name and never shook it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Unless things have improved, it's only poor enough commuting to Dublin using public transport.

I spent years on the 120 Bus Eireann route and it's a slow bus to Dublin. It goes through Derrinturn/Allenwood and Coill Dubh. It doesn't get to the motorway until Maynooth. It takes 90 minutes, often longer if the traffic in Dublin is bad.

I used to commute to the south of Dublin and it would take nearly 2 hours sometimes. Which is borderline too much.

Where's the work site?

There's no Rail links, nearest station is Enfield.

It's much better than it used to be by road. The new road to link it to the M4 at Johnstown Bridge is excellent. Beware the Toll at enfield however if getting on the motorway there, it's an expensive toll for what it is.

The other option is to join the old N4 at Enfield and merge on at Kilcock. Traffic is heavy enough in the morning on that road.

To be honest, having spent years in the town, I wouldn't go back. Enfield is a nicer town to live in. Better transport links and a better place to live.

And yes, it's the town that crash hit hard, just have a look round Dunnes. Many empty shop fronts that either closed or never had anything in them (built in 2008ish) and that eyesore of an uncompleted hotel.

It's biggest problem was it's transport links which causes major investors to move to better to access places. It was always too far from a motorway or a major road. Why would any big company invest in it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 jetsy

Mycroft H wrote: »
    And yes, it's the town that crash hit hard, just have a look round Dunnes. Many empty shop fronts that either closed or never had anything in them (built in 2008ish) and that eyesore of an uncompleted hotel.

It's biggest problem was it's transport links which causes major investors to move to better to access places. It was always too far from a motorway or a major road. Why would any big company invest in it?
    Thank you..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I was going to say stay there a few times and see how you go but then remembered, no hotel. Could stay in a B&B? Buying somewhere you don't know seem a bit risky.

If you are going to city center every day, live near somewhere with good transport links. Plenty of buses from Edenderry but as said on thread, the route it takes is bad.

If you are outside the city and driving every day, a town like Edenderry makes sense as it is easy drive now with the new road to Enfield, but you will be joining the many who also drive and Edenderry grew as a commuter town.

I know a lot of school building has gone on, has a Tesco, Aldi, Lidl and Dunnes. Some of the older businesses in the town have hung in there over the years.

I am not sure what the town is like during the day but I expect you are probably going to find yourself going somewhere else on your days off. Have to travel for little things like the Cinema. But that goes for most non county towns.

Just a small thing to consider in any of the boom estates in the Dublin and commuter areas, Pyrite. Damaging material used during building from a quarry. I know some places in Edenderry were impacted as were others from Mulhuddart to Enfield and many towns http://www.pyriteboard.ie/Pyrite/media/Pyrite/Updated/2016-04-04-Ninth-Quarterly-Report-for-Minister.pdf

Hey, hey, that's unfair. There is a hotel :D

image.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Scenic views :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If you're commuting to Dublin and you're looking to move to this area, then maybe consider villages like Rhode or Rochfortbridge. Both are closer to Dublin (commuting wise*) and plus you don't get the problems that are commonly associated with Edenderry (drugs, crime etc)

Probably get a nicer house for your money also

*using the M6>M4

• Advertisement

Rhode is a complete and utter kip. Avoid at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Rhode is a complete and utter kip. Avoid at all costs.

That might be the case, and you're entitled to your opinion, but if you think Rhode isn't suitable then Edenderry definitely isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭picturehangup

We moved here from Dublin back in 2000. I would not recommend this area for several reasons. We are trying to get back to Dub now, but house prices are of course, an issue. My hubbie commuted for 16 yrs to Dublin, from Edenderry sometimes car, other times bus. Was very tired all of the time. We have to go to Dub several times a week between the four of us for various things and events, and we find we are constantly on the road, not to mention diesel, and wear and tear on the cars. Primary schools are okay, but we sent our children to a country school a few miles out of town. One of our children has a disability, and I was not at all happy with attitude/professionalism of one of the secondary schools. No cinema, okay for grocery shopping as we have Dunnes, Tesco, Lidl and Aldi. For anything more, you need to go out of town. Can be rough enough at pub closing times at weekends. People are friendly enough, many new Irish, but you will always be considered an 'outsider'. Is quite nepotistic, it must be said.There is however a decent swimming pool. I think Enfield would be a better bet, and hope this helps you. Re crime, we have not suffered any in this regard, thankfully, and I would consider it a good town in this regard. Good luck with your decision. Do let us know what you decide.

We moved here from Dublin back in 2000. I would not recommend this area for several reasons. We are trying to get back to Dub now, but house prices are of course, an issue. My hubbie commuted for 16 yrs to Dublin, from Edenderry sometimes car, other times bus. Was very tired all of the time. We have to go to Dub several times a week between the four of us for various things and events, and we find we are constantly on the road, not to mention diesel, and wear and tear on the cars. Primary schools are okay, but we sent our children to a country school a few miles out of town. One of our children has a disability, and I was not at all happy with attitude/professionalism of one of the secondary schools. No cinema, okay for grocery shopping as we have Dunnes, Tesco, Lidl and Aldi. For anything more, you need to go out of town. Can be rough enough at pub closing times at weekends. People are friendly enough, many new Irish, but you will always be considered an 'outsider'. Is quite nepotistic, it must be said.There is however a decent swimming pool. I think Enfield would be a better bet, and hope this helps you. Re crime, we have not suffered any in this regard, thankfully, and I would consider it a good town in this regard. Good luck with your decision. Do let us know what you decide.

Why did you send your children to a country primary school if the schools in the town are okay?

Hi, the reason for this was that I preferred a co-ed approach rather than single-sex, which were the only options back in 2000. However, now there are two other new schools, both co-ed and one a gaelscoil (which would have been my personal preference if it existed at the time!). So, plenty of choice now.

All schools in the town are now co-ed.

A Primary level, two are still single-sex. St. Mary's Girls' is, and the Boys' Primary in Gilroy. All secondary schools are now co-ed. in the town.

Incorrect. The Boys School enrolled infant girls in September and the Girls School can now keep their boys until 6th class.

They are now separate schools with no connections.

I stand corrected! How things change. I was not aware of those recent changes, as my family now in their 20's.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Hey friends,

Where in Dublin are you and your husband working?
    I would guess from the distance it's somewhere around the M50?
    Portarlington might be an option as it has a train line and a bigger selection, although not a paradise either by any means i would suggest it has more to offer and at least might give you the option of using the train to commute

• Advertisement

Good advice, plus one here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Edenderry is a dump.. I'd rather live in a dodgy area in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Unless things have improved, it's only poor enough commuting to Dublin using public transport.

I spent years on the 120 Bus Eireann route and it's a slow bus to Dublin. It goes through Derrinturn/Allenwood and Coill Dubh. It doesn't get to the motorway until Maynooth. It takes 90 minutes, often longer if the traffic in Dublin is bad.

I used to commute to the south of Dublin and it would take nearly 2 hours sometimes. Which is borderline too much.

Where's the work site?

It's much better than it used to be by road. The new road to link it to the M4 at Johnstown Bridge is excellent. Beware the Toll at enfield however if getting on the motorway there, it's an expensive toll for what it is.

The other option is to join the old N4 at Enfield and merge on at Kilcock. Traffic is heavy enough in the morning on that road.

To be honest, having spent years in the town, I wouldn't go back. Enfield is a nicer town to live in. Better transport links and a better place to live.

There is the express service in the morning that does not go through Coill Doibh or Sallins but it's not that much quicker a few minutes maybe but it means a few less speed bumps. Its quiet a good service that is very frequent. I know as I have used it a lot myself. Sure its longer than going directly by car but then there would not be enough people to use the bus and it would be cancelled.

True there is no direct rail links but there is an early morning bus service from the town to Enfield and then back in the evening now by a private company.
    @OP Carrickhall is supposed to be a lovely estate. I know people who live there and there does be houses up for sale there. I think there might be some at the moment. They are in around the price you were quoting maybe a bit more.

I went to secondary school there and have cousins that went to both primary and secondary and we all turned out as good decent people.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I went to school there and I wouldn't call it pleasant. Plenty of friends and siblings who'd say the same. I still turned out alright, however. Maybe the secondary schools have changed recently. If I'd kids I wouldn't send them to secondary school there..

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭camroc76

I went to school there and I wouldn't call it pleasant. Plenty of friends and siblings who'd say the same. I still turned out alright, however. Maybe the secondary schools have changed recently. If I'd kids I wouldn't send them to secondary school there..

Alot of negativity on this thread, I am an Edenderry native, educated in the "tech" as it was known then, now the Oaklands, am a chartered engineer, so is my brother, I have a sister who is a professor in her medical field, retired at 51 cause she could , all my siblings went onto third level education and all educated in edenderry.. So it aint a bad old joint, just suffered badly from the recession.

camroc76 wrote: »
    Alot of negativity on this thread, I am an Edenderry native, educated in the "tech" as it was known then, now the Oaklands, am a chartered engineer, so is my brother, I have a sister who is a professor in her medical field, retired at 51 cause she could , all my siblings went onto third level education and all educated in edenderry.. So it aint a bad old joint, just suffered badly from the recession.

Ah it is rough though. Used to play soccer matches down there nd they were a very rough crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

OP - prices of housing are cheap around Mullingar and it has a rail link and good bus service and motorway.

Likewise, Tullamore or Portarlington.

I see newish terraced houses for sale in Athy at 190k, seems good value. And several in Rathangan.

(thanks to daft.ie)

PS Edenderry is not quite as rough as some are saying - there are some pleasant bungalows on pretty roads. But it is definitely not posh, there is a crime rate, and it is very awkward to get to and from. I think you could do better for your under-200K.

Day Lewin wrote: »
    OP - prices of housing are cheap around Mullingar and it has a rail link and good bus service and motorway.

Likewise, Tullamore or Portarlington.

I see newish terraced houses for sale in Athy at 190k, seems good value. And several in Rathangan.

(thanks to daft.ie)

PS Edenderry is not quite as rough as some are saying - there are some pleasant bungalows on pretty roads. But it is definitely not posh, there is a crime rate, and it is very awkward to get to and from. I think you could do better for your under-200K.

Whatever about Edenderry, Athy is hell on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I'm currently living in Edenderry, and commute towards Dublin Airport in the mornings. Can get there in about an hour, although that's with no traffic. The town is fine and people are friendly when you get to know them. Some estates are dodge, but some are okay. Feel free to ask any questions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Carrie50

You dont want to live in rochfortbridge,its overcrowded schools,one shop,drugs on every corner,antisocial behavior,no amenities..

Advertisement