Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I sell Ed Sheeran tickets for Cork in May?

Options
  • 07-01-2018 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

I bought 2 tickets last year for the Sunday show in Pairc Ui Chaoimh but something has come up and I'll very likely be out of the country for the day of the concert. Is there a legitimate way for me to return my tickets to ticketmaster or can I sell them on even though my name is associated with the purchase??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

sok2005 wrote: »
    I bought 2 tickets last year for the Sunday show in Pairc Ui Chaoimh but something has come up and I'll very likely be out of the country for the day of the concert. Is there a legitimate way for me to return my tickets to ticketmaster or can I sell them on even though my name is associated with the purchase??

will can sell them on toutless.ie for face value, it's a great site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

will can sell them on toutless.ie for face value, it's a great site.

Aren't those Ed Sheeran tickets special though in the sense that the cardholder HAS to be present? If so, I'm not sure Toutless is an option in that case but I do agree it's a great site, use it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Aren't those Ed Sheeran tickets special though in the sense that the cardholder HAS to be present? If so, I'm not sure Toutless is an option in that case but I do agree it's a great site, use it all the time.

Yes, that’s right.

I think the only workaround is to sell/give them to family members with the same surname or to strangers that have the same surname as the original buyer.

Doing this involves those now attending to either bring the card used, or a photo(copy) of the card used to make the original purchase as well as ID showing the same surname as original buyer. Family with same surname would obviously be preferable as you’d need to trust someone with your card details.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Are they really going to ID everyone going into make sure the name matches? Isn't this a standard thing but never enforced as it would take too long?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

Ludo wrote: »
    Are they really going to ID everyone going into make sure the name matches? Isn't this a standard thing but never enforced as it would take too long?

My tuppence worth is that it will be logistically impossible to id 50,000 tickets. What if you got married since your last passport/DL etc. It's impossible.

The spirit of it is good, to stop touting but it's not possible to id 50,000 in a few hours.

I was up at the Europa league final in the Aviva a few Years back and every week they were sending me e-mails saying don't turn up if the name on the ticket is not you, on the Day there were zero checks in fact people were visably selling tickets just before you came to the stage where you had to show your ticket to go into your section and security took zero notice and that was for a final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nostro

clerk wrote: »
    My tuppence worth is that it will be logistically impossible to id 50,000 tickets. What if you got married since your last passport/DL etc. It's impossible.

The spirit of it is good, to stop touting but it's not possible to id 50,000 in a few hours.

That may very well be true but I think that they are hoping that the small possibility that there might be some checks even if they are only carried out on a very small percentage of the attendance might be enough to dissuade people from buying tickets with a view to selling them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I bought Neil Diamond tickets for the Three Arena end of last year and they checked every ticket I saw against credit card or driving licence (I think Ed Sheeran is credit card proof only ?). They accepted photocopies at the 3 Arena and I see they will accept same for this gig, but not really an option to give a stranger a copy of that.

I hope you find a buyer, whilst I like the idea of killing off the touts, these restrictions make it very inflexible. Hopefully there will be less door staff on this one, so maybe less ticket checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I hope you find a buyer, whilst I like the idea of killing off the touts, these restrictions make it very inflexible. Hopefully there will be less door staff on this one, so maybe less ticket checks.

It should be possible to return the ticket. Preventing reselling is a very good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Harika

Cannot you use seatwave for that? Cause this is the official reseller platform for ticketmaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Harika wrote: »
    Cannot you use seatwave for that? Cause this is the official reseller platform for ticketmaster.

That is the paradox of ticketmaster - they don't allow reselling, while enabling it through their platforms...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Aren't those Ed Sheeran tickets special though in the sense that the cardholder HAS to be present?

ah right, sorry OP, I didn't realise that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Presumably the tickets only show the last 4 digits of the credit card, so could you use a photocopy that has the rest of the digits, and the expiration date blacked out? They can still verify the card holder name and the last 4 digits against the ticket.

grogi wrote: »
    That is the paradox of ticketmaster - they don't allow reselling, while enabling it through their platforms...

Depends on the ticket conditions, friends of mine also had Neil Diamond tickets purchased on Ticketmaster and couldn't join us, they sold on Seatwave but had to provide a copy driving licence for the buyers to take along. Seatwave facilitated getting the copy to the purchasers. I personally wouldn't let anyone have a copy of ID, but the tickets were €280 each, so they took a chance. I don't think the Sheeran tickets are transferable at all. I believe the allowance of a photocopy fo the credit card was just to allow for parents that had bought tickets for their kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

I bought Neil Diamond tickets for the Three Arena end of last year and they checked every ticket I saw against credit card or driving licence (I think Ed Sheeran is credit card proof only ?).

Interesting.

3Arena is 13,000, The Pairc will be at least 3 times that. Just can't see how it's possible to check everyone.

What were the queue's like at the Diamond concert due to the checks ?

Interesting.

3Arena is 13,000, The Pairc will be at least 3 times that. Just can't see how it's possible to check everyone.

Not possible to check everyone but with the number of entry points and if they have enough staff on they should be able to check a percentage without undue delays. Say 30% of those entering should be enough. Point is not to catch everyone that has bought resold tickets but to provide enough of a deterrent to dissuade people from buying tickets from touts.
    Probably should be some sort of service as well where those who bought tickets and then changed their mind should be able to return them for what they paid for them less an admin fee, say 20% of purchase price.
    I think taking on the touts is an excellent thing to aim for and well overdue.

Interesting.

Queues weren't too bad, but they opened the doors early and had at least two people checking, one called out the name on the ticket and the other one checked the ID. they also had people walking up the queue checking before you go to the gate and stamping the tickets to say they'd been checked - in fairness it was very organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

Thanks a mill for all suggestions here. Ticketmaster should have given people the option of getting 50% back at least if they couldn't go to the concert. Or even credit back for future purchases with them. They could end up with a lot of empty unused seats with this new policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Thanks a mill for all suggestions here. Ticketmaster should have given people the option of getting 50% back at least if they couldn't go to the concert. Or even credit back for future purchases with them. They could end up with a lot of empty unused seats with this new policy.

That would encourage touting. Every man and his dog would be buying 6 or 8 tickets and trying to sell them for profit knowing that if they didn't then they could still recoup most of their outlay if their scheme didn't work.

I know one person who was forever at that - she'd have kids, sisters, aunts, uncles all lined up to buy tickets for a show that was projected to sell out fast just because she wanted two for herself or her kids. Invariably she ended up with half a dozen tickets and usually sold them on - until she got caught with some tickets that she couldn't get rid of so was at a loss. All of a sudden TM were the 'worst company in the world' because they wouldn't give her back her money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

I was up at the Europa league final in the Aviva a few Years back and every week they were sending me e-mails saying don't turn up if the name on the ticket is not you, on the Day there were zero checks in fact people were visably selling tickets just before you came to the stage where you had to show your ticket to go into your section and security took zero notice and that was for a final.

Went to the ryder Cup a few years back. every ticket was checked against ID.

I think if they don't enforce it for such a high profile event as the Ed Sheeran concerts, then Ticketmaster's credibility will be significantly undermined and damaged and it will be a massive victory for the ticket touts. If they want to do it, then logistically they will find a way.
    The " hard luck" stories can be dealt with by offering to refund tickets less a fee for those that have bought too many and want to return some of them.

• Advertisement

nostro wrote: »
    I think if they don't enforce it for such a high profile event as the Ed Sheeran concerts, then Ticketmaster's credibility will be significantly undermined and damaged and it will be a massive victory for the ticket touts. If they want to do it, then logistically they will find a way.
    The " hard luck" stories can be dealt with by offering to refund tickets less a fee for those that have bought too many and want to return some of them.

If I owned TM there's not a hope in hell that I'd offer that service for the reasons I outlined earlier.
    EVERY stadium tour ends up with hundreds of tickets available as the time comes near. Can you imagine TM refunding all of those ? All it would mean is that the price of tickets would be bumped up to cover that eventuality. I've worked in a related industry and there's never a problem getting tickets for 'Sold Out' stadium shows.

A lot of people bought extra tickets on the assumption that the anti touting rules would not be enforced and they would be able to sell them on for a profit closer to the concerts dates. If it becomes clear that TM plan on enforcing the rules and they can't then there will be a large number of very annoyed amateur touts. Whats the chances that some on them will go on programs like Liveline with their hard luck stories and TM will be forced to water down or abandon plans to check tickets. Offering a partial refund would deflect some of this pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

If I owned TM there's not a hope in hell that I'd offer that service for the reasons I outlined earlier.
    EVERY stadium tour ends up with hundreds of tickets available as the time comes near. Can you imagine TM refunding all of those ? All it would mean is that the price of tickets would be bumped up to cover that eventuality. I've worked in a related industry and there's never a problem getting tickets for 'Sold Out' stadium shows.

Let's remember Ticketmaster is a multi million dollar company, partial ticket refunds for genuine cases is more than feasible for such a giant. Touts are immoral but Ticketmaster is not worried about them as much as you would think. They only see the bottom line and that is the reason they don't offer an alt, not because they are genuinely worried fans will get stung by opportunists.

Let's remember Ticketmaster is a multi million dollar company, partial ticket refunds for genuine cases is more than feasible for such a giant. Touts are immoral but Ticketmaster is not worried about them as much as you would think. They only see the bottom line and that is the reason they don't offer an alt, not because they are genuinely worried fans will get stung by opportunists.

They have in the past given refunds to really genuine cases (I've witnessed it...) but I can never ever see them offering it as a 'regular service' and, IMO, nor should they. As you say, they see the bottom line and offering refunds to every Tom, Dick and Harry who can't make a show because 'me mam is sick' or 'me granny died' won't be long digging a hole in that bottom line. As it stands, most gigs have a no-show rate of between 3 and 5% and, again IMO, that would rise if there was an option of a refund or partial refund. If these people all got those refunds then the price of tickets is going to rise accordingly to cover this. No way are TM going to take that hit.

Thousands of people have bought tickets that they have no intention of using for these concerts. If TM enforce their ID verification policy there will be uproar. i think they will cave and not enforce it in order to allow these amateur touts to resell their tickets.

It would be wonderful and a great step forward if they stood their ground. Can't see it happening though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Ok my mate has now found out his daughters first communion is on that day , I'm willing to take his hard copytickets at face value and he's giving me his card booking , is this dodgy or will I get in ???

moonshadow wrote: »
    I'm willing to take his hard copytickets ......and he's giving me his card booking , is this dodgy or will I get in ???

If TM enforce the anti touting rules they are saying they will enforce you won't get in.

Chances are however that they will back down and you will be able to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bobmar

How much I be interested

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

I'm in the same position too. Have 2 tickets, seated in section 105, but cant make it anymore. Has anyone tried getting a refund from ticketmaster, or are people selling them with the buyer taking a chance they wont be checking ids going in? All I want is my money back, not looking for above face value, not trying to make a profit, just genuinely cant go,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 polly11111

I have 2 tickets for Cork for the Saturday and can't attend. Don't know what to do with them now. Would love to just get money or even some of it back.

Advertisement