Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Track related questions

Options
  • 07-01-2018 11:23pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A bit like the MTB thread, questions for track and track bike users. No question too stupid. I for one will start with a simple one.

Have Alpina sprint bars, no bar end plugs can be fitted. Do you use grips on such bars or just no tape at all?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

No idea what the actual answer is, but I've seen people with and without grips on if that's any use! Actually just one guy with grips now that I think about it, the rest nekkid.
    Don't Alpina's have roundy ends on them? I have a vague memory of seeing that but couldn't be 100%.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They do, that's why I thought grips or nothing. I see lots of riders just use "sticky" mits (not sure what these are in regards to regular mits). So maybe nothing is needed. Just don't want to turn up at Sundrive and be told to sling my hook.

Looked at them today, too slippy, even with mits IMO. I am thinking between kerin grips like these:
    https://www.velodromeshop.net/bar-tape/grips/velodrome-shop-keirin-grips/

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

CramCycle wrote: »
    Looked at them today, too slippy, even with mits IMO. I am thinking between kerin grips like these:
    https://www.velodromeshop.net/bar-tape/grips/velodrome-shop-keirin-grips/

I had these on my track bike. I needed good plugs to keep them on since they would slip over time. It might depend on how often you use the bike, it may not become a problem.

You could use grip tape on the ends?
    ETA: this grips you linked are what I was talking about above. One of the guys has white ones on his if I remember right!

• Advertisement

mal1 wrote: »
    I had these on my track bike. I needed good plugs to keep them on since they would slip over time. It might depend on how often you use the bike, it may not become a problem.
    Not every day, probably twice a week. Would electrical tape on each end do the job do you think? They should hold for racing anyhow by your description.
    nee wrote: »
    You could use grip tape on the ends?
    ETA: this grips you linked are what I was talking about above. One of the guys has white ones on his if I remember right!
    Do you mean like Hurley tape or Hockey tape? Might be a good idea and easier to put on. I am thinking pink. My bike is all grey, black and a tiny bit of white, I want something to contrast. Pink or Purple are the front runners.

Oh my god pink and purple ftw!

I was thinking the almost sandpapery stuff, like that they use on skateboards, or on steps: https://www.skatewarehouse.com/griptape.html

Or the hockey stuff. The GAA tape is pretty much like bartape I think?

Whatever it is it must be pink or purple now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

nee wrote: »
    Oh my god pink and purple ftw!

I was thinking the almost sandpapery stuff, like that they use on skateboards, or on steps: https://www.skatewarehouse.com/griptape.html

Or the hockey stuff. The GAA tape is pretty much like bartape I think?

Whatever it is it must be pink or purple now :pac:

Or indeed saddles (to some chagrin, mind!)?

cython wrote: »
    Or indeed saddles (to some chagrin, mind!)?

The same!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Not every day, probably twice a week. Would electrical tape on each end do the job do you think? They should hold for racing anyhow by your description.

Yeah, they would probably be ok. You might find yourself pulling them up every so often. Not sure about the tape helping much.

• Advertisement

mal1 wrote: »
    Yeah, they would probably be ok. You might find yourself pulling them up every so often. Not sure about the tape helping much.

Looking online, I am going to try the hairspray trick and see does that work. I'll leave the electrical tape then, it should be fine.

I have went for the purple.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ardcat

I use these. No grips required with leather mitts or gloves. The diameter at the grips is greater than normal bars and you won't get Keirin grips on. Yes you can use grip tape. Bar tape is not a requisite at Sundrive. Bar ends must be plugged though.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,417 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Many on the track don't wear mitts making gripping a bit easier

One set of bars I have has an abrasive surface on the drops and it's rounded where plugs would normally go.

ardcat wrote: »
    I use these. No grips required with leather mitts or gloves. The diameter at the grips is greater than normal bars and you won't get Keirin grips on. Yes you can use grip tape. Bar tape is not a requisite at Sundrive. Bar ends must be plugged though.
    Awesome, mittsit is
    Beasty wrote: »
    Many on the track don't wear mitts making gripping a bit easier

One set of bars I have has an abrasive surface on the drops and it's rounded where plugs would normally go.
    Alas the Alpinas are quite smooth, would not want to rely on just my hands in a sprint or if there was a bump. I think Sundrive require mitts anyway, or at least that's what Hugh used to say.

A

Alas the Alpinas are quite smooth, would not want to rely on just my hands in a sprint or if there was a bump. I think Sundrive require mitts anyway, or at least that's what Hugh used to say.

It does, apart from Nationals. I think of all the things I couldn't do if I crashed without them...

*( I do pursuit without them at nationals cos I haven't got any aero gloves)

Another question, looking for a recommendation for a rear wheel. I have a single speed 29er. The rear wheel is stock, and is grand but the rear wheel is for a BMX cog, not a track cog, and is only one sided. Any recommendations for a rear wheel that is both fixed and can handle a bit of 29er bouncing around action.

And more questions, trying to thread my bottom bracket on. Brand new frame (Dolan TC1) so I don't think it should need to be chased but I am really struggling to get past a few turns. Any suggestions?

Giving up on that BB, any recommendations for one. I am looking at the UN55 from shimano, choosing reliability over weight in this case. Any reason not to?

I have a un55, it's been bulletproof for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

UN56 is good choice

What’s price range for rear wheel. Halo Aerotrack? (A little heavy?) Velocity deep V?

Alpina bars: you don’t need fancy keirin gloves. Golf gloves do the trick. You might need to search for a matching right one. I’ve used gloves, grips, nothing and tape. Gloves are best, for me anyway. My hands sweat like mad in the summer races so I have no choice but to use something. Taping Alpina bars is like wearing mtb shorts on track.

• Advertisement

What’s price range for rear wheel. Halo Aerotrack? (A little heavy?) Velocity deep V?

The rear wheel is for commuting, so I am thinking I will just get a CX wheel and bolt a cog onto the disc brake holders. Although the Halo Aerotrack might do fine as well, just looking for one with wide rims. Not worried about weight, just something that will last a reasonable time and not cost the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

And more questions, trying to thread my bottom bracket on. Brand new frame (Dolan TC1) so I don't think it should need to be chased but I am really struggling to get past a few turns. Any suggestions?

There wasn't threadlock on it by any chance? I had a UN55 that had some white threadlock on it when I got it, wouldn't tighten all the way in until I scraped it out of the threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I have velocity deep vs and they’re good. Also use aeritrack on track.

Thud wrote: »
    There wasn't threadlock on it by any chance? I had a UN55 that had some white threadlock on it when I got it, wouldn't tighten all the way in until I scraped it out of the threads.
    No threadlock but I did spend an age cleaning it yesterday. It looks like paint from the frame coming in as I am getting it further but black marks keep appearing. Not sure if I can sand off the paint near the BB. Cleaning the BB is fine but trying to clear out the threads on the bike is a PITA. Any recommendations other than sanding are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

if it's the BB shell and not the BB you may need to get it re threaded or re-faced

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/#article-section-3

Would try scraping out the threads first could be some gunk further in that you are hitting

Thud wrote: »
    if it's the BB shell and not the BB you may need to get it re threaded or re-faced

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/#article-section-3

Would try scraping out the threads first could be some gunk further in that you are hitting

Tis a brand new frame from Dolan so i expected it to be in good nick, I really hope I don't have to get anything done to it. I am goint to go round the threads with care on a lunch break and hope for the best.

Tis a brand new frame from Dolan so i expected it to be in good nick, I really hope I don't have to get anything done to it. I am goint to go round the threads with care on a lunch break and hope for the best.

Ended up biting the bullet after multiple clean out attempts. LBS (fitzcycles in Stillorgan), chased it and fitted my BB for 20euro (after telling me they would charge 25 to 30euro to do it. Even asked me to bring the bike back in for a look when it was fully built up.

As for my fixed gear MTB, the BMX cog seems to have jammed on it, so it has become a de facto fixed gear. Really weird as I have heard of them losing engagement (happened one on me years ago) but never seizing. I suspect it will unseize and leave me stranded somewhere soon enough.

I can't see the league popping up on the trackcycling.ie website yet, anyone know what date it starts. All I see is a sprinters league on a Saturday.

Cutting my fork over the next day or two. Any recommendations on length to leave. I don't need a spacer underneath but figured maybe leaving room for a spacer or two on top would be good for resale or if I mess up my back?

• Advertisement

On the league, it's starting on the 25th.

On the fork, I guess resale value is the most sensible length to cut the steerer to but in every other way spacer free slammed goodness rules.
    I am no help to you!

Advertisement