Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Track related questions

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Be careful if its a carbon steerer. You need to leave at least 5mm above the stem and install a spacer (7-10mm)

(Don't ask how I learned...)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Alek wrote: »
    Be careful if its a carbon steerer. You need to leave at least 5mm above the stem and install a spacer (7-10mm)

(Don't ask how I learned...)

The fork is carbon but the steering column is aluminium. This is now two bikes with Carbon in my collection. I type this with my elbows as my nails are dug deep into the ground as the modern world pulls me by the legs to a place I do not want to be. No matter how hard I try, I lose some more of me to it every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Re League. They've added double yellow lines on the road outside the pavillion, so just be warned.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,417 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Re League. They've added double yellow lines on the road outside the pavillion, so just be warned.
    Only one side. Going to be a rush to get spaces alongside the football pitch on a Wednesday

Speaking of Wednesday, there is a racing introduction session next week on the 18th. An opportunity particular for those who've not raced in anger before, as well as some of us who have to check out the likely new entrants to the "C" group, and give them those tips to stay at the back and observe when the league does kick off:pac:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,417 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The feeling I've got is residents were complaining about all the vehicles particularly on a Wednesday evening, but also with some of the major weekend events. I would guess therefore that there will be wardens and/or Gardaí along dishing out tickets certainly early in the season

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    The feeling I've got is residents were complaining about all the vehicles particularly on a Wednesday evening, but also with some of the major weekend events. I would guess therefore that there will be wardens and/or Gardalong dishing out tickets certainly early in the season

You could park in the estates on the other side or if your lucky in one of the car park spaces. Not sure what parking in Super Valu is like, whether it is pay and display or time limited.m I have a feeling it is time limited.

On a separate question, gearing. Finished my build, last question is gearing. I was thinking I would put a 49x13 or 14, and have this at the end of the dropouts, so it gives me room to move in to a larger back cog or a larger front ring.

Any recommendations for what gear you would use to get the best ability to change gears, ie leave enough chain for a few choices.

CramCycle wrote: »
    You could park in the estates on the other side or if your lucky in one of the car park spaces. Not sure what parking in Super Valu is like, whether it is pay and display or time limited.m I have a feeling it is time limited.

On a separate question, gearing. Finished my build, last question is gearing. I was thinking I would put a 49x13 or 14, and have this at the end of the dropouts, so it gives me room to move in to a larger back cog or a larger front ring.

Any recommendations for what gear you would use to get the best ability to change gears, ie leave enough chain for a few choices.

I personally think a 50/15 is the best to go for in track league. You'd rarely need to change it and it still leaves enough chain to mess with?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

50 15 for me too largely. I have a 14, 15 and 16 for the back, and 48, 49 and 50 chainring, good not if variety in there.
    I'm the road bike I find it easier to start the same gear small small rather than big big, so instead of a 50 15 90 I'm gonna try make it with a 47 14 and see.
    It's good to have a bunch and see.

ETA I know the prevailing wisdom is big big, but starting is my weakness, so I'm gonna see.
    Team GB's TP squad run a 60 on the front :eek:

My son's new track bike will be arriving over the next day or so. He's 13 and limited to 16x49. I used to be much more of a grinder, but as everyone around here probably knows my starting is particularly crap. Did the race training session last night on 15x49 (which is the largest they allow in public sessions at Manchester and so I've had that on the bike all winter). Think I'm going to have to go lower to get on the wheel of the 13yo.....

I only started to get the ability to jump as I finished up on track 3 years ago. Back then I usually used large gears and also ran large tyres so the gear ratio was a bit higher. I think I was typically using 52 or 50 upfront, with 14 or 15 behind. I just used to wind up from a long way out. won a few races with it as no one expected you to come from the back a lap out in Cs. This year I would like to try out a few different ones to see. 50/15 sounds good as a starter.

• Advertisement

I just used to wind up from a long way out. won a few races with it as no one expected you to come from the back a lap out in Cs. This year I would like to try out a few different ones to see. 50/15 sounds good as a starter.
    A couple of years ago I was very much the same. Early in the season I went from the 200m line, but by the end, if the wind was right, I would be going from nearly 600m.

Alas the current state of my back and legs (hart and lungs still need a lot of conditioning also!) is such that I'll probably be rolling in at the back for a while. Might still take the opportunity to stir things up a bit mid-race mind!

I only started to get the ability to jump as I finished up on track 3 years ago. Back then I usually used large gears and also ran large tyres so the gear ratio was a bit higher. I think I was typically using 52 or 50 upfront, with 14 or 15 behind. I just used to wind up from a long way out. won a few races with it as no one expected you to come from the back a lap out in Cs. This year I would like to try out a few different ones to see. 50/15 sounds good as a starter.

I’ve always been like that. It has its negatives, but also some positives. When you do those from the back moves, you initially look like you might just be moving to the front and then can still cause issue for some. When in a group that slow wind up can throw others as well. Is your top speed may be higher? I’m not making my point well. Basically, a jump is great, but if you get to forty five, and cant hold it from the jump, it might be sometimes better to be the person who can get to fifty 20 seconds later? Does that make sense?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no such thing as a stupid question - are fixies absolutely mandatory on the track? or do they allow novices to use freewheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

No road bikes allowed on the track from what I've seen.
    You can rent a track bike for the session

no such thing as a stupid question - are fixies absolutely mandatory on the track? or do they allow novices to use freewheels?

Pretty much what jnealon said, your not allowed brakes so if you had a freewheel you would not be able to stop, Bike rental is a fiver a session and I have seen a few decent track bikes up for sale on different whatapp groups if it takes your fancy.

You still have to do the intro / accreditation sessions first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cheers, i've never ridden a fixie so would have to address that first!

cheers, i've never ridden a fixie so would have to address that first!
    Many who turn up to accreditation are in the same boat. They quickly catch on as it's just like riding a bike.....

Sorry, but they’re not fixies, they’re track bikes. You’ll find majority of people who come for accreditation have never ridden a fixed gear bike. You’ll be fine after s few laps.

well, i've no excuse. i've a bike with a flip flop wheel i must flip and try out a fixed gear on.
    i did try a spinning bike once in the gym in work and did myself a bit of a mischief when i assumed i could simply stop pedalling.

well, i've no excuse. i've a bike with a flip flop wheel i must flip and try out a fixed gear on.
    i did try a spinning bike once in the gym in work and did myself a bit of a mischief when i assumed i could simply stop pedalling.

They'll remind you over and over at accreditation sessions to keep pedalling. It's really not a big deal after awhile. Spend enough time on track and you're more likely to forgot you can stop pedalling on a road bike that forget to keep pedalling on a track bike.

• Advertisement

They'll remind you over and over at accreditation sessions to keep pedalling. It's really not a big deal after awhile. Spend enough time on track and you're more likely to forgot you can stop pedalling on a road bike that forget to keep pedalling on a track bike.
    Dunno about that! - I still managed to give myself a bit of a fright after a sprint race last weekend. The guy who beat me held out his hand and focussed on that and forgot I had no freewheel....

I frequently forget I have a freewheel after getting off the track bike and onto the commuter/road bike. It gives me a little shock when I try to slow down and nothing happens :eek:

You only forget to keep pedalling once :pac:

Beasty wrote: »
    Dunno about that! - I still managed to give myself a bit of a fright after a sprint race last weekend. The guy who beat me held out his hand and focussed on that and forgot I had no freewheel....

Ah, ok. Never happened me, but I'm usually commuting on a fixed gear as well, so that may be more to do with it

Is it still fairly family friendly down at the league. On child minding duties this week, might pop down if its OK to bring the young lad to spectate.

Is it still fairly family friendly down at the league. On child minding duties this week, might pop down if its OK to bring the young lad to spectate.

Yep! Was last year anyway.
    I'll be a few weeks then I'll be back.

Advertisement