If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build - Living Room - Dobly Atmos Speakers

Options
  • 07-01-2018 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice and maybe a purchase if the price is right ;)

I'll be moving into a new build house later in the year and I would like to install a 5.1 (7.1 ?? ) Dolby Atmos Speakers in the ceiling of the living room and wire them to where a future AV unit. 

(I  do not think I can afford an AV unit right now, recommendations are welcome however.)

Could you recommend me some decent 5.1 in ceiling atmos speakers if ye have them?

It would be great to have these installed for later connection to the AV unit.

In the meantime I have a very old (12/13 years + Goodmans Sub that has direct inputs for a 5.1 speaker set that would do as a start.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Upon some further research - It seems Dobly Atmos works best when the speakers are at ear level.

Decisions Decisions!

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice and maybe a purchase if the price is right ;)

I'll be moving into a new build house later in the year and I would like to install a 5.1 (7.1 ?? ) Dolby Atmos Speakers in the ceiling of the living room and wire them to where a future AV unit. 

(I  do not think I can afford an AV unit right now, recommendations are welcome however.)

Could you recommend me some decent 5.1 in ceiling atmos speakers if ye have them?

It would be great to have these installed for later connection to the AV unit.

In the meantime I have a very old (12/13 years + Goodmans Sub that has direct inputs for a 5.1 speaker set that would do as a start.

Thanks in advance.
    Hi Nedved85.

Dolby Atmos runs in a 5.1.2 format or 5.1.4 etc. The third number being the amount of Atmos speakers. (This also depends on how many channels the A/V receiver has).

You still also require the standard 5.1 home cinema setup. You would also require an A/V receiver that is Atmos ready. Something like the Denon AVRX2400 which is currently priced at £369.00
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-13044-avrx2400.aspx

What sources are you going to be running or are currently running.

For inceiling Atmos speakers there is the Monitor Audio pro 65 priced at £69.00 Each
    https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/product-ranges/pro/pro-65/

For upward firing Atmos speakers there is the KEF A4 Atmos priced at £249.00
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202097-debut-a4-atmos.aspx

I don't believe that your Goodmans subwoofer would be compatible with any of the speakers we stock unless inn has speakers terminals on it?

Let me know your thoughts.

Hi Kenny,
    Thanks for coming back to me.

This is the (very old) Goodmans surround sound system that has served me well up until now:
    https://www.adverts.ie/home-audio/goodmans-ghc-4200-pro-home-cinema-speaker/2291033 ;
    It has 5 inputs where I can wire in the cable from each speaker directly.

Looking to the future however - My preference is to have all of my speakers ceiling mounted, and connected to an AV receiver like you linked

Would a sensible setup include 5 ceiling mounted speakers for standard surround sound and two atmos enable ceiling speakers like the ones you linked?

I will watch my content from multiple sources:
    1. Freesat/Saorview combi box for TV
    2. Xbox one (Gaming)
    3. Nvidia Shield (Netflix and Plex)

All of the above will be routed to:
    1. Wall mounted 4K TV
    2. 1080p Projector (4K down the line)

Thanks

Hi Kenny,
    Thanks for coming back to me.

This is the (very old) Goodmans surround sound system that has served me well up until now:
    https://www.adverts.ie/home-audio/goodmans-ghc-4200-pro-home-cinema-speaker/2291033 
    It has 5 inputs where I can wire in the cable from each speaker directly.

Looking to the future however - My preference is to have all of my speakers ceiling mounted, and connected to an AV receiver like you linked

Would a sensible setup include 5 ceiling mounted speakers for standard surround sound and two atmos enable ceiling speakers like the ones you linked?

I will watch my content from multiple sources:
    1. Freesat/Saorview combi box for TV
    2. Xbox one (Gaming)
    3. Nvidia Shield (Netflix and Plex)

All of the above will be routed to:
    1. Wall mounted 4K TV
    2. 1080p Projector (4K down the line)

Thanks
    Hi Nedved85.

You can ceiling mount all you speakers but I'm not sure how it would sound as I've never seen a setup where all the speakers are in ceiling.

I know that Monitor Audio make a In ceiling rear speaker priced at £139.00 so there must be no issue with a set up like that.
    https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/product-ranges/core/c265-fx/

Most centre speaker need to go in and around the TV or screen as they produce all of the vocals.
    You can get in wall centre speakers like the Monitor Audio WT150 priced at £139.00 also
    https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/product-ranges/core/w150-lcr/

The goodmans setup you have seems to have one optical connection and the rest an only analogue inputs.
    It will power any new speakers but can never do Atmos or anything other than Dobly digital from which ever source is connected to the optical input.

Have you currently got the Goodmans set up or is it stored away?

Hmm - I understand what you are saying about all of the speakers firing sound down from the ceiling, it may not work too well!

I will have to speak to the builder and electrician to see if in wall speakers would do for the front channels.

The wall where the tv/projector screen will be mounted is a single block wall on edge - so it could be tight!

You have the Monitor Audio WT150 in stock?

It definitely would be nicer to have the three front channels in the wall and the two surrounds above in the ceiling (behind is not really an option as there is a window there).

I use the Goodmans every day - optical is fed in via an Kanaan 4 way HDMI splitter - It works pretty well for now but an upgrade will be required after I get the house.

• Advertisement

Hmm - I understand what you are saying about all of the speakers firing sound down from the ceiling, it may not work too well!

I will have to speak to the builder and electrician to see if in wall speakers would do for the front channels.

The wall where the tv/projector screen will be mounted is a single block wall on edge - so it could be tight!

You have the Monitor Audio WT150 in stock?

It definitely would be nicer to have the three front channels in the wall and the two surrounds above in the ceiling (behind is not really an option as there is a window there).

I use the Goodmans every day - optical is fed in via an Kanaan 4 way HDMI splitter - It works pretty well for now but an upgrade will be required after I get the house.
    Hey Nedved85.

There are also in wall speakers by Monitor Audio that might fit down the side of the TV in the wall.
    https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/custom-install-speaker-type/in-wall-speakers/

I don't have the WT150 in stock as we usually only order up these install items as we require them.

In the ceiling for the rears would be no problem as I have seen this done before.

Ah... Now I see how you are connected up using an HDMI splitter with optical out it makes sense.

Hi Kenny,

I'm back again after doing some more research.

I'm veering away from in wall speakers. I think it would drive my construction costs up considerably :/

Would you be able to give me your best boards price for the following (delivered)

2 x Monitor Audio Pro 65 (for atmos)

The Denon Av2400 receiver

Monitor Audio Mass 10 speaker system

I'm right in saying this should allow me to set up dolby atmos?

I'm a bit confused as to where all the speakers get wired to, presumably it's the Denon :)

Could you also give me a price for the 2 in ceiling speakers, av receiver and a Wharfedale Dx2?

Just wondering, which sound system is better in your opinion?

Is there any other speaker package put there worth considering?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Kenny,

I'm back again after doing some more research.

I'm veering away from in wall speakers. I think it would drive my construction costs up considerably :/

Would you be able to give me your best boards price for the following (delivered)

2 x Monitor Audio Pro 65 (for atmos)

The Denon Av2400 receiver

Monitor Audio Mass 10 speaker system

I'm right in saying this should allow me to set up dolby atmos?

I'm a bit confused as to where all the speakers get wired to, presumably it's the Denon :)

Could you also give me a price for the 2 in ceiling speakers, av receiver and a Wharfedale Dx2?

Just wondering, which sound system is better in your opinion?

Is there any other speaker package put there worth considering?

Thanks in advance :)
    Hi Nedved85.

The current deal on the AVRX2400 with the Mass 5.1 pack would be £789.00
    https://www.richersounds.com/denon-avrx2400-black-and-monitor-audio-mass-5-1-system-black.html

For the 2 Pro 65's I could offer at £120 for the pair.

For the DX2 and the AVRX2400 I could offer together at £769.00

I have not heard the DX2 up and running as of yet as it has just been released and we have yet to have stock on display in our demo room.
    The Mass pack has been selling very well for years and sounds fantastic.

All speakers require to be wired back to the amp and connected to the rear of it.

Let me know what you think.

Hi Kenny,

I’m still on the lookout for a few speakers.

Spoke to my builder and we may be putting in a 5 inch deep false wall to accommodate the high number of cables.(coaxes,network,hdmi etc)

Could you give me a price for one W150-LCR and two W180 please ?

From looking at the specs,the mounting depths is just under 4 inches... so hopefully they would squeeze in.

Cheers.

Hi Kenny,

I’m still on the lookout for a few speakers.

Spoke to my builder and we may be putting in a 5 inch deep false wall to accommodate the high number of cables.(coaxes,network,hdmi etc)

Could you give me a price for one W150-LCR and two W180 please ?

From looking at the specs,the mounting depths is just under 4 inches... so hopefully they would squeeze in.

Cheers.
    Hi Nedved85.

I could offer the W150-LCR and two of the W180 for a total of £390.00 Delivered.

These items would be special order and I would need to place an order with Monitor Audio for them.

Let me know your thoughts.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.