Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

80mm to 120mm fan adapter

Options
  • 08-01-2018 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I can get something like this? I found some guy in greece making big jobbies with a 3d printer for $15, it would be great getting one cheaper than that.

I have an old NAS (Dlink DNS-320) and its overheating if I put any amount of load on it and shuts down. Physically it is not large enough to mount a larger fan than the 80mm noctua fan I have on it now. I have an aluminium vga memory chip cooler on the cpu, but may change this for a copper one (nothing at all on it originally).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Found you Greece guy on eBay - looks like he is the only one there with this type adapter.
    Once you are going to DIY anyway, consider trimming an opening in back panel for 120 fan. Some German done it
    Also, by the images i seen on google, looks like there is not much holes for intake on this model???

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Silicone is silicone. Why is it overheating? Either dust or a hard drive is on the way out and running very hot.

I'd look into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Found you Greece guy on eBay - looks like he is the only one there with this type adapter.
    Once you are going to DIY anyway, consider trimming an opening in back panel for 120 fan. Some German done it
    Also, by the images i seen on google, looks like there is not much holes for intake on this model???
    Yeah, airflow in this box is rubbish, I did what that guy did plus I also cut out a 80mm hole in the metal at the back as well and then drilled a set of holes in the top of the case. However I only did it for a 80mm fan, and that was fine on the disks that i was using at the time (2 x 1TB seagates), however i swapped them out for 2 x 2TB WD Red's I had removed from my main NAS, they definitely run hotter and after and hour of raid rebuild it shut down.
    Would love to avoid having to start hacking the case again:(

I was always under opinion that fan cooled device need same area/diameter for intake as for output for cooling to work properly. I accept that this device work in negative pressure (only one fan, blowing out(it is blowing out, isn't it?) so creates "vacuum"), but insufficient size intake opening kills fan faster and still doesn't provide efficient cooling - design flaw?

Or might be ED-E right about your disks?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

If airflow is the problem, how about running the machine with the case open? I've an ITX box with terrible airflow and after trying various fan configurations I ended up running it with the case open, it's been like that for a few years and runs fine.
    It does get dirty on the inside, its in my kitchen and it's pretty amazing to see how cooking fats adhere to fan blades over time, but I give it periodic cleans. If you're in a cleaner environment this might not be an issue.

• Advertisement

By the looks of it, circuit board is at the bottom and only lid you could remove is top.
    I was going to suggest OP drill nice 2-3 inch hole(hole-saw does neath cut) at the bottom of the unit and install dust filter, but this
    BigEejit wrote: »
    Would love to avoid having to start hacking the case againfrown.png
    put me off.

I might have to take the dremel and/or hacksaw to it again :(. However I may have found the issue, the little memory chip cooler that I put on top of the chip a long time ago is rubbish and fell off with almost no force at all, the adhesive/TIM material on it looked to have dried out partially.....

I have my DNS-320 set up with the fan blowing in the back and about 20 x 10mm holes on the top, the fan is temp controlled. I am going to get a different copper vga memory chip cooler and try that. I am also thinking about putting a very cheap northbridge cooler on it with an active fan.

Also, it might just be that the replacement firmware (alt-f, its up to version 1.0) is just too hard on the anemic processor, but i dont fancy putting very old dlink firmware back on it.

Forgot to mention that the other reason I changed the airflow was so i could put a filter on it. I just had a look in the box of ****e my container of useful left over parts and found an old Dell Perc card that I put a good quality fan cooled northbridge cooler on. might have to slim it down a bit though

Advertisement