Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Coiling Questions

• 08-01-2018 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭

Hello,

I finally managed to get some wire at the end of the week and spent the last while tonight coiling. I finally settled on two that are ok, but hoping someone can help me with some questions:

1. I've put a 1.1ohm coil into the Siren 2 and am vaping my 50:50 baccy juice at 18w. This coil is 24g Kanthal. When I fire up the tank for the first time from cold, there's a slight delay but also a pop. It them settles down. Is this normal? The siren is a lovely tank.

2. I've put a 26g 4 wrap SS coil in the Serpent which is coming in at .55ohm. I'm vaping a fairly sweet 80:20 juice in it at 55 w. There's plenty of clouds, but from memory, there isn't half the flavour I was getting from the Melo 3 with the same juice. . Is it simply a question of playing around with different wires? All I have at the moment is 24g Kanthal and a box of different 26g wire types. Its definitely not matching the flavour I'm getting out of the Athos tank (.3 ohm coil).

Thanks,
    Conor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Popping is normal. It usually calms down after a few tanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

The delay from cold is totally normal and personally i like it when it pops.
    You might know it already but heating up the wire red hot before you start wrapping helps a lot with springy wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

Thanks lads to you both. The popping stopped yesterday. I just wasn't too sure if I'd screwed up the coiling. The Siren is a lovely tank.

On the Serpent, I recoiled and wicked it again last night. Flavour is now where I would expect it. So both issues now sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Popping can occur when the coil isn't quite hot enough, so juice 'pops' instead of vaporizes upon contact. It's more likely with lower wattage set ups as the ramp up will be much slower. But it can happen at any ohm/wattage level, for sub ohm coils it's usually just a case of upping the wattage a bit more.

Advertisement