Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At wits ends with 2 year old.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gaia Mother Earth

patchyamac wrote: »
    Porrige Oats are like bananas,slow release of energy,I'd try cutting that for her routine right before bedtime.. That's my 2 cents

This stood out to me too.

My 2 would eat me out of house and home but they don't get any more food after their dinner at 6 o'clock. They don't need any more energy.

Do you have any pets by any chance? I was watching Nanny 911 one day and they couldn't get to the bottom of why their toddler woke so many times during the night.

They eventually put cameras in her room and their pet dog was going in and licking her on the face in the middle of the night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

This stood out to me too.

My 2 would eat me out of house and home but they don't get any more food after their dinner at 6 o'clock. They don't need any more energy.

Do you have any pets by any chance? I was watching Nanny 911 one day and they couldn't get to the bottom of why their toddler woke so many times during the night.

They eventually put cameras in her room and their pet dog was going in and licking her on the face in the middle of the night :D

We do have a doggo but he sleeps downstairs at night for that exact reason :P

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Get doseall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    She's in creche three days a week running around, and spends all day at home the other four playing outside with our dog or deep in imaginative play with her sister. We do fingerpainting with her and other arts to keep her mentally stimulated and I take her for a walk to the shop every day she's off without the buggy. I cannot physically make her do more, and at 3am, no matter how awake she seems, she is in no mood for frivolous activities, nor do I want my other daughter to decide she wants to get up at 3 every morning to play with her toys as well! :(

Didn’t mean at 3am! I meant swapping things like mental stimulation for something physical, but yes, defo hard this time of year. Our creche are a dose for keeping them inside this time of year as well because the minders get cold outside standing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Soulsun wrote: »
    Get doseall

i dont think that is a long term solution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,588 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

ted1 wrote: »
    Is she hungry?

What I did with ours was I used to lie down beside the cot and hold their hand to settle them. It was a bit of a nuisance but it worked

This is exactly what we did. It takes time but parenting isn’t always by the book.
    Our first had a period of awful night terrors and nothing on earth would soothe her but getting out and int her mums arms for a while to calm her down.

Last thing I’d say is try not to get too stressed, best advice we got was “nothing lasts forever” we spent a good time hand holding and doing whatever it took, I worked nights at the time so my wife was often alone taking care of things too.

But the eldest is a well adjusted teenager now in Junior cart year and looking back I don’t regret a moment spent holding her hand to make her happy, not once ever were either girls left to cry it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I have found this worked excellent but it has to be followed to the letter by all adults when implementing it. Key is consistency and staying strong on the rules.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferber_method

Incidentally french babies are the best for self soothing, the think it is something to do with the french attitude. pffff (apologies to any french here but seems to be the case)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I have a very very bad sleeper. I honestly felt at times that I could loose my mind. Personally I'd be reintroducing the nap, or quiet time. I know the issue is night wakings but when overtired they tend to wake more easily.

If at all possible, every day at the same time, into bed with sleepy music (highly recommend marconi union weightless on YouTube) playing and commit to 30 mins. Try set her up so she's happy and relaxed in her bed. If she's not asleep after 30 mins then at least she's had some downtime. Keep at it for a week and see if it helps.

You said she spends time outside. I find that a massive help here too, as well as cutting out screens as much as possible.

I'd cut all sugar from the diet if you can and also think if there could be any food intolerances. My boy doesn't do well with dairy and if he had a lot still wakes during the night.

Maybe a sleep trigger might help. We have a little poem from a book I read and sometimes when he finds it hard to sleep I hear my fella saying it to himself.

I can't think of anything else now, but I can imagine how fed up you are. Lack of sleep is a nightmare, and then you trying to keep her quiet for others in the house too adding to your annoyance. Hope you get it sorted quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭lenan

I've 3 kids,

First one woke up 4-5 times at night for a bottle. When he came off the bottle at nearly 3 and half he finally slept

Second one never slept! At 4 months he could make his way up and down the length of the cot so he ended up in the bed. Turned out there was a medical reason for him not sleeping.

Third one, slept til she was 10 months old and then decided her mission in life was to keep me awake! When she was two and I was at my wits end and my sil said put a stair gate on her bedroom and leave her to it. I was desperate so tried it, both me and her cried and stayed awake for 2 nights. In and out of room assuring her.
    The OH works nights so on the 3rd night he was off, so I took myself and other 2 kids off to my mother's and left him to deal with it. First night with him she cried he slept thru it second night a bit of a cry about 10 mins. Third night no crying. Sound harsh but it worked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

has anything changed for your daughter in the creche? has she moved to a new group or have the staff changed? how is she when you drop her off in the morning?
    separation anxiety at night is not unusual around that age

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

has anything changed for your daughter in the creche? has she moved to a new group or have the staff changed? how is she when you drop her off in the morning?
    separation anxiety at night is not unusual around that age

She absolutely adores creche. Runs from us straight to the ladies in charge of her room (one of which has the same name as her which she finds amusing). She never cries or even looks back for that matter and is always beaming when we pick her up. She's incredibly social and thrives on the group setting. I did ask in creche yesterday if anything was amiss, but it's the same two ladies in her room, which she won't be moving from until September (she's for pre-school then).

Unfortunately Whispered, there's literally no issue getting her to sleep at bedtime. After her routine, she's dropped in the cot and will stay there for at least 3 hours before the "fun" starts :pac:

Incidentally, there was only one full tantrum last night. The second one lasted less than a minute and she dozed back off till this morning (totalling 12 hours sleep) so we might finally have light at the end of the tunnel. I'm praying for a little leap :pac:
    Never had ANY of this with my eldest daughter. She started sleeping through the night for 12 solid hours from she was 12 weeks old and has done ever since (now 3.5)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,605 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

https://twitter.com/RTEToday/status/951775596236992512
    Baby sleep expert Edel Gargan on RTÉ this afternoon.

Advertisement