Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrading pc, i5-8400 vs i5-8600k

Options
  • 08-01-2018 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

so im upgrading my PC in the next couple of weeks and have my eye on the i5-8400 and z370 motherboard. just wondering if i should pay a bit extra to get the 8600k since its able to be OC so it might be a bit more future proof, id appreciate any and all advice. or should i look for a different CPU altogether

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

If you have the budget definitely go for the 8600k.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 steve7791

so just after adding it all up and im going to have to go with the i5-8400 since ddr4 ram is so expensive, custompcparts.ie seems to be the only place to have it in stock too, have you ever heard of/ ordered from them by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

What are you planning on using it for?
    If its gaming then Intel would be stronger but if its productivity as well as gaming, have a look at Ryzen, they are cutting prices and as your changing boards, in any case, it might be an option.
    The 1700 is a decent productivity chip and decent enough at gaming too.

ill just be gaming on it. pubg, escape from tarkov and dishonored 2 are the ones im playing now and why i want to upgrade. the CPU i have now is i5-2300 so no matter what ill have to get new ram/mobo with it. i was looking at ryzen alright but since im purely just going to be gaming i was thinking of going with intel as the benchmarks i seen for the 8400 were great for the price

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Don't worry about the RAM price so much; you can get a decent chunk back selling DDR3.
    Also, 8Gb RAM is fine for gaming; buy 8Gb fast RAM (DDR4-2666 CL13/CL15) now and get more when prices drop to sane levels.

I'd still advise to save for the 8600K on Z370; overclocked will make it closer to future-proof than 8400.

Aria have it in stock for far cheaper than CustomPCparts: https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Processors/Intel+CPUs/Core+i5+-+Socket+1151+Coffee+Lake/Intel+Core+i5+8600K+3.60GHz+Coffee+Lake+Processor?productId=68439&utm_source=skinflint.co.uk&utm_medium=referral

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Also, 8Gb RAM is fine for gaming; buy 8Gb fast (DDR4-2666 CL14) now and get more when prices drop to sane levels.

Nope, PUBG is severely FPS limited by having only 8Gb of RAM. You need 16 for it to run smoothly. Also Ryzen chips suck for PUBG, having one is a serious handicap. They're only getting 30-50% utilised and become a massive bottleneck.

thanks lads, ive decided to wait another week or two and get the 8600k with ASUS PRIME Z370-P motherboard. for the ram ill prob stick with 1 8gb 2400MHz for now and then buy the same stick again in a month or two if needed. appreciate all the advice/help

hey kiki do you think its worth getting ram faster than 2400Mhz? i was thinking of just getting this

https://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/8GB+%281x8GB%29+Crucial+Ballistix+Sport+LT+2400MHz+DDR4+-+White+?productId=68711

then buying that stick again in a month or two if needed

Nope, PUBG is severely FPS limited by having only 8Gb of RAM. You need 16 for it to run smoothly. Also Ryzen chips suck for PUBG, having one is a serious handicap. They're only getting 30-50% utilised and become a massive bottleneck.
    steve7791 wrote: »
    hey kiki do you think its worth getting ram faster than 2400Mhz? i was thinking of just getting this

https://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/8GB+%281x8GB%29+Crucial+Ballistix+Sport+LT+2400MHz+DDR4+-+White+?productId=68711

then buying that stick again in a month or two if needed
    http://www.logicalincrements.com/games/pc-building-guide-pubg-battlegrounds
    The game will use between 6.5GB and 10GB of system RAM, depending on what graphics card you have, and the game settings. 16GB of system RAM is recommended, although 8GB works if you close almost everything else while playing. If you have a bunch of things open in the background while playing, even more than 16GB of RAM could be helpful.

How much difference RAM speed makes depends on what CPU and motherboard you have, but the difference between the fastest and slowest RAM available to you will be small (<10%).
    Get 2666 (or maybe overclock the 2400).
    Note this was pre-v1.0
    Game is better optimized now. Get 16Gb if you can, but 8Gb is still fine for most games/usages.

You can post all the recommended specs you want, it's well known that it runs worse with under 16gb of RAM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Does Ryzen really perform bad on it though? PUBG always has had fairly low CPU requirements, just punishes the GPU. It's possible to get 80-100fps on a Haswell i3. I can't see it being an issue with Ryzen.

Dunno what it's like now but it definitely used to run alot better on 16GB ram alright.

Does Ryzen really perform bad on it though? PUBG always has had fairly low CPU requirements, just punishes the GPU. It's possible to get 80-100fps on a Haswell i3. I can't see it being an issue with Ryzen.

Dunno what it's like now but it definitely used to run alot better on 16GB ram alright.

Yeah, it does. Drastically reduced FPS.

Wonder is it down to drivers so or just something in the architecture it doesn't like.

You can post all the recommended specs you want, it's well known that it runs worse with under 16gb of RAM.

Fine I'll test it myself.
    Jaysus! :pac:

well lads thanks for all the help, ordered the 8600k and asus motherboard there.

well lads thanks for all the help, ordered the 8600k and asus motherboard there.

Good stuff!
    Photos when its build pls!

will do, although little bit embarrassing is my PSU is too big for my case so its sitting outside it on the floor with wires everywhere :o but ill upgrade that once i get the ram

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

will do, although little bit embarrassing is my PSU is too big for my case so its sitting outside it on the floor with wires everywhere :o but ill upgrade that once i get the ram

How? Unless you have a tiny micro case that uses SFX supplies....

How? Unless you have a tiny micro case that uses SFX supplies....

Could be a 180mm PSU; they don't fit in most mATX cases (or even some modern ATX ones).

i got a psu off a friend a couple years ago. its a big 875 watt one from some dell workstation. camera is ****e quality but i plan on tidying everything up once i get the mobo/cpu installed then ill buy a new psu in a couple weeks

EDIT: case is zalman z3 white

• Advertisement
Advertisement