Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Influencers over-editing photos in Social Media/Cyber-bullying accusations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Don't know if it belongs here, but it goes to the fact that uneducated bloggers could potentially be deadly whether it be altering their appearance in order to sell stuff, promoting unhealthy habits...or decorating cakes with deadly flowers

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/botanist-spots-something-horribly-wrong-with-this-health-bloggers-pudding/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 beautyobsessed

I'm not into the vlogging blogging cretins to be honest, a lot of them are fakers, I do follow HUDA on twitter though but I wouldn't call myself a die-hard fan btw, I just like the make-up.

I don't understand young girls fawning over these bloggers and vloggers selling fake tans and eyelashes and bum pads, or a ''clean living'' lifestyle, really I just don't get it, after about '06 the vlogging blogging really took off and so did the cult followings.

I suppose starting into my thirties I just don't get it and hope I never do. From a dispassionate point of viewing things; I see that the blogging / vlogging sphere is at saturation point and it must be very hard to get into that market now, it seems everyone is ''freelance'' or a'' vlogger/blogger'', what I want to know is what is their day job??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I'm not into the vlogging blogging cretins to be honest, a lot of them are fakers, I do follow HUDA on twitter though but I wouldn't call myself a die-hard fan btw, I just like the make-up.

Ah I think it's a bit harsh to tarnish all of them with a "cretin" tag. I follow quite a few (mainly from the UK to be honest) but wouldn't call those I follow fake. They seem quite normal and honest in regards reviews and upfront about collaborations with brands.
    I don't understand young girls fawning over these bloggers and vloggers selling fake tans and eyelashes and bum pads, or a ''clean living'' lifestyle, really I just don't get it, after about '06 the vlogging blogging really took off and so did the cult followings.

I think there is a certain amount of saturation in terms of blogger products and especially ones aimed at younger viewers. But then again at that age, there's an element of it being up to parents to keep an eye on what is being looked at and bought by the teens I think. I do think that the bloggers need to have some responsibility too, not absolving them at all.
    I suppose starting into my thirties I just don't get it and hope I never do. From a dispassionate point of viewing things; I see that the blogging / vlogging sphere is at saturation point and it must be very hard to get into that market now, it seems everyone is ''freelance'' or a'' vlogger/blogger'', what I want to know is what is their day job??

I'm the same age and as I said, I follow a few. I think the beauty side possibly is at a certain level now but a lot of the ones I follow started as beauty in their early 20's and, at a similar age to me now, are moving into home, lifestyle etc which ties with how my life has moved so is interesting.
    Some of them don't have a day job at all. 2 I follow from the UK do it full time but are honest that it's not as lucrative for everyone as someone like Zoella over there. They make a living but they're not rolling in it.
    I know there are ones here that I follow who are open about having a full time job and fit in this around it which, to a certain degree, I admire more as they're almost juggling a part-time job with their full time work. That said they seem to love what they're doing (not about the money) so that has to be a driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Don't know if it belongs here, but it goes to the fact that uneducated bloggers could potentially be deadly whether it be altering their appearance in order to sell stuff, promoting unhealthy habits...or decorating cakes with deadly flowers

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/botanist-spots-something-horribly-wrong-with-this-health-bloggers-pudding/

Similar story but kinda worse.. :eek:
    https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/9k3nje/a-wellness-blogger-who-lied-about-having-cancer-has-been-fined-dollar322000

Lied about having cancer and beating it with juice and avoiding coffee... :mad:

Suckit wrote: »
    Similar story but kinda worse.. :eek:
    https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/9k3nje/a-wellness-blogger-who-lied-about-having-cancer-has-been-fined-dollar322000

Lied about having cancer and beating it with juice and avoiding coffee... :mad:

Should have been jailed for live...that could have put people's lives in danger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I get the whole thing about looking great in EVERY picture but its not reality.

Would bloggers not get more respect from the average follower if they posted a picture of no make up, hungover, on their period, eating junk food than the pictures edited to within an inch of their lives. Saw RD on holidays, who wears full make up sitting on a beach???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

The reddit thread seems to have been archived, and no new posts in a couple of days. Does anyone know if there's a new one? I find it very hard to get my head around the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭aoife1991

Ankhyu wrote: »
    The reddit thread seems to have been archived, and no new posts in a couple of days. Does anyone know if there's a new one? I find it very hard to get my head around the site.
    I am also wondering this! I have had a boards account for years but don't actively post much. I'm on Reddit every single day so I'm wondering what the replacement is? There's a private subreddit where discussion takes place but I'm not part of it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Posts are automatically archived after 6 months on Reddit. Someone else could open a new one in that subreddit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

wyrn wrote:
    Posts are automatically archived after 6 months on Reddit. Someone else could open a new one in that subreddit.

Someone opened a new thread, on phone so can't link it, but if you go to "blogging chat on reddit" thread here theres a link in the last page!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I couldn't figure reddit out at all! Just reading Bloggers Unveiled latest post, never heard of the person they are calling out for gym gear and advertising correctly. But is that persons figure real? Has anyone ever seen them in real life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭Rmgblue

pc7 wrote: »
    I couldn't figure reddit out at all! Just reading Bloggers Unveiled latest post, never heard of the person they are calling out for gym gear and advertising correctly. But is that persons figure real? Has anyone ever seen them in real life?

Is it SOH?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭Rmgblue

Rmgblue wrote: »
    Is it SOH?

Iv just checked. It’s isnt, never mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

On the comments it says to look her up on YouTube - there's a video about her photoshoping

GingerLily wrote: »
    On the comments it says to look her up on YouTube - there's a video about her photoshoping

Sorry but what did Annagcork do that makes her a danger on the road, as bloggersunveiled is suggesting

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

GingerLily wrote: »

Watched a few of his videos gas when he points it out it’s so obvious!

Sorry but what did Annagcork do that makes her a danger on the road, as bloggersunveiled is suggesting

Was she one of the ones wearing seatbelt under her arm? I don’t know who many of them are tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

She was using her phone when driving.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

God I thought it was cos she posted "Drive it like you're late for Mass" LOL. I'm a bit out of the loop, just looked at the Bloggers Unveiled page when it was mentioned here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

miamee wrote: »
    God I thought it was cos she posted "Drive it like you're late for Mass" LOL. I'm a bit out of the loop, just looked at the Bloggers Unveiled page when it was mentioned here.

Nope, she posted an insta story (since deleted) of her using her phone while driving.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Now it makes a lot more sense, I can't stand seeing people on their phone while driving, never mind posting it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Has the MUF disappeared from social media altogether?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Has the MUF disappeared from social media altogether?

She seems to have gone suspiciously quiet alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭CWF

Have people seen what Sarah Godfrey suggested that Rob Lipsett put her life in danger so she broke up with him!?

Just read her statement, hints at something bad then asks for privacy, ffs. Looks like she took tips for muf

MUF is back, with an apology and says she has learned from the experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

And if you believe that you’ll believe anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Is that to do with the 'retouching'?

Edited, I read it.

That is an awful lot of 'mistakes'. Too many imo.

I’ve actually been really humbled by this whole experience and gained a huge amount of knowledge

I don't get why anyone is still following her. If her 'bought' followers were the only ones following (and family and friends) would anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Reads like an apology for getting caught. Massively missing the point and trawling for sympathy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

Is the BloggersUnveiled page gone? Either that or I've been blocked for disagreeing with her...

Advertisement