Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Influencers over-editing photos in Social Media/Cyber-bullying accusations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

pc7 wrote: »
    No I get the MUF dog thing as I can imagine requests for the 2k pomsky have shot up for that kennel. I don't get the missing dog, this guy runs a puppy farm ones but its their page they can do what they like.

Anyhow looks like they'll be finishing up supposedly they made a mistake and posted their own instagram to BU page and are going to be outed. They have posted saying people who are suspected of being BU are getting death threats and there is a 50k bounty on their head (said they have gone to the guards). Hopefully they've done enough to show people its all fake and a sham. I'll miss their posts.

Who got outed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

No I get the MUF dog thing as I can imagine requests for the 2k pomsky have shot up for that kennel. I don't get the missing dog, this guy runs a puppy farm ones but its their page they can do what they like.

Anyhow looks like they'll be finishing up supposedly they made a mistake and posted their own instagram to BU page and are going to be outed. They have posted saying people who are suspected of being BU are getting death threats and there is a 50k bounty on their head (said they have gone to the guards). Hopefully they've done enough to show people its all fake and a sham. I'll miss their posts.
    BU hasn't been outed, I saw the now deleted story and it was about Nikki.

No, BU is stepping back because of the serious threats made to that person who got the mass card, they have been harassed and gotten death threats which is now in the hands of the guards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

wyrn wrote:
    BU hasn't been outed, I saw the now deleted story and it was about Nikki.

What's this about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

rawn wrote: »
    What's this about?

Try scrolling up about 3 posts!

Sorry to be clear, not the BU part, the Nikki/deleted story part.

• Advertisement

rawn wrote: »
    Sorry to be clear, not the BU part, the Nikki/deleted story part.
    I can't quite remember because I haven't a clue who Nikki is, so the story didn't stick in my memory.

It was something like "Nikki as been quite lately, is she ok" and then possibly LittleBowPip tagged in. I'm not a 100% sure.

All I remember was, it wasn't a smoking gun of being outed.

wyrn wrote: »
    I can't quite remember because I haven't a clue who Nikki is, so the story didn't stick in my memory.

It was something like "Nikki as been quite lately, is she ok" and then possibly LittleBowPip tagged in. I'm not a 100% sure.

All I remember was, it wasn't a smoking gun of being outed.

Yeah that was it...I went to click into the Instagram and it was a load of bows so was completely confused!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Statement regarding beauty school from one of the places they claimed to have accreditation from

https://www.cibtac.com/About/Blog/ArticleID/1248/statement-regarding-avant-garde-makeup-academy-ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I wonder if that is what happened yesterday, as I was reading through it, it all shutdown.

I hope they pass the torch, or maybe share it. It should take some of the heat off them, and there is a big enough audience.
    The only one I can think of that I may be weary of offering a bounty would be the closet people. As they seem to have very strong links with some nasty characters. Any funeral cards/death threats are unlikely to be followed up, but not something that you would be willing to risk.
    At the same time, continuing should be the best thing to do, as then it might show it has nothing to do with whomever is being threatened.

Statement regarding beauty school from one of the places they claimed to have accreditation from

https://www.cibtac.com/About/Blog/ArticleID/1248/statement-regarding-avant-garde-makeup-academy-ireland
    CIBTAC must be mainly Irish to put that on their site?
    I imagine Avant Garde are in a lot of trouble now.

Are BABTAC and CIBTAC self appointed bodies that do a very good job, or are they recognised bodies by colleges or by whatever legal bodies etc?

If self appointed then they would be also bringing a court case I would imagine.

"This is affecting my personal life" keeps coming back to me... (in a funny way).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Who's the person who was supposedly "outed" as BU and getting death threats?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Guys can I just ask not to name names until we double check with the office?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I'm BU

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Guys unless it is confirmed somewhere else, please don't name names as to who might be behind Bloggers Unveiled here. It would be unfair to those being named when it might not be correct - the story is getting a lot of attention at the moment and no one wants to be at the centre of that if they aren't BU!

If the person(s) own up to being behind it or there is a press release or news story confirming who it is then happy days but until then please don't post any name speculations. Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Who's the person who was supposedly "outed" as BU and getting death threats?
    It’s me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

It’s me

How did that happen? Sounds awful!

Floppybits wrote: »
    I'm BU
    It’s me

oPY0Tb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

I am also Spartacus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lauren951

Has anyone noticed that in earlier BU posts he/she refers to themselves as us/we? For example a post from January says “Same day. Same launch. Different looks? Google these pics and you will find them! Not edited by us!”. Must be ran by more than one person

I'm BU and so's my wife!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I'm Billy Murphy! Oh wait, wrong thread ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I definitely think it is now a different person/ people than it used to be. BU took a break for a few days a few months ago and when they came back the tone of the page changed and I felt it became quite bitchy. There were a load of leading posts and pics alluding to them being at certain gigs/ flights etc. which added to the "who are they?" drama. This is when they started posting loads of off topic stuff around animal welfare and stuff. It just seemed like a totally different page. When they posted that "ask a question" thing last week I asked was BU started by a different person and they never answered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

Seen their story on Instagram today about someone being accused of being BU and other Irish bloggers stirring the pot, this new page i spy with seems like a grab at followers wanting to know about about the current BU story. Its crazy how this situation seems to be getting bigger and bigger by the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Lauren951 wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed that in earlier BU posts he/she refers to themselves as us/we? For example a post from January says “Same day. Same launch. Different looks? Google these pics and you will find them! Not edited by us!”. Must be ran by more than one person

I was thinking the same thing this evening, they say only their partner knows they run the page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I’d love if it was Retro Flame, stinging all the Irish scammers from NYC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,157 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

• Advertisement

How did she get targeted?
    Crazy the way the bloggers are first to whinge and moan when they get comments that they don't like, and their followers tend to join in complaining about being bullied etc.
    But seeing as nobody else should or probably would be outraged by BU, it is easy to presume that it is bloggers sending those vile threats.
    I hope the Gardaí track the messages back to the correct people and publicly humiliate them before whatever punishment they are due gets handed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    That ovary remark was disgusting

Absolutely horrible. I really wonder how some people sleep at night.

Suckit wrote: »
    How did she get targeted?
    Crazy the way the bloggers are first to whinge and moan when they get comments that they don't like, and their followers tend to join in complaining about being bullied etc.
    But seeing as nobody else should or probably would be outraged by BU, it is easy to presume that it is bloggers sending those vile threats.
    I hope the Gardaí track the messages back to the correct people and publicly humiliate them before whatever punishment they are due gets handed out.

I think it'll be a bloggers boyfriend or family, but with the blogger knowing full well.

Disgusting behaviour!

I know RMcC has been accused of falsely outing the salon owner-I wonder is it one of the boardsies she had disagreements with - which are a fair few!!

GingerLily wrote: »
    I think it'll be a bloggers boyfriend or family, but with the blogger knowing full well.

Disgusting behaviour!

I know RMcC has been accused of falsely outing the salon owner-I wonder is it one of the boardsies she had disagreements with - which are a fair few!!

Its gas because RMC had a whole massive post/blog about when her house was targeted (balloons) and often complains of threats online and how they affect her. Its funny that she rarely ever mentions BU, i always imagined this would be the type of drama she could bandwagon on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I’m very much a lurker in these parts, but I believe the person who has been named has had disagreements with RMC on here in the past. That’s not to say there’s any links, of course.

Whoever BU is has never really mentioned RMC (for whatever reason). I think if the account was really run by the person who’s subject to the witch hunt, we’d have seen a lot more on BU about RMC.

Faith wrote: »
    I’m very much a lurker in these parts, but I believe the person who has been named has had disagreements with RMC on here in the past. That’s not to say there’s any links, of course.

Whoever BU is has never really mentioned RMC (for whatever reason). I think if the account was really run by the person who’s subject to the witch hunt, we’d have seen a lot more on BU about RMC.

Ironic that someone who hosts a podcast about "how to be sound" is such a dickhead

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »

Exactly - that's why it's so strange! Why did RMcC name and shame BU when they had no beef??

Wonder if she will address it?

Surely she'll see this as a perfect opportunity to drive traffic back to her. In the hope of securing that oh so sweet patreon moolah ( costs less than a bowl of granola ) so she can continue feeding herself and her ego off other people's backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I'm also a long-time lurker on this thread, but rarely post as I don't follow any Irish bloggers..... I only started paying attention when the bloggersunveiled account showed the complete lack of transparency which exists in the industry.

I am kind of lost atm, however.....I don't follow BU since they changed their instagram to private. Has bloggers-unveiled been 'unveiled' themselves? Is it RMc? Or did RMc accuse someone of being BU? I checked her twitter there but didn't see anything....

Maybe I missed something.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I have zero interest in fashion/beauty/cooking/babies/fitness so I follow no bloggers, and I don't have instagram and don't even know how snapchat works. I'm aware of BU purely due to the thread here which I've read randomly at some stage when bored. But even I have seen two names being bandied about in relation to BU now - both boards users. One has closed their website down, seemingly over this?, the other is the one referred to in the article detailing terrible abuse. From outside this whole thing it just seems crazy that people are behaving like this! Lying, cheating and scamming in their online promotions is bad enough but harassment, threats and intimidation is shocking. To think so many young people are sucked in to this world is scary really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 robertjames

This is crazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Do you not think this girl has been through enough without reading shlt about herself here too? People are speaking about her like she isn’t a member of this site and can’t see what you’re saying.
    How would any of us feel if our entire internet history over the last ten years resurfaced and was dissected online and used as fodder for people to judge you on. Everything from forums ten years ago to the death of her parents is being picked apart and judged.
    I don’t care what she said on ma’s who drink today yesterday or any time. Nothing is deserving of the vile treatment she has received both online and in her personal life. To be targeted in such a vicious manner with absolutely no proof is disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

Do you not think this girl has been through enough without reading shlt about herself here too? People are speaking about her like she isn’t a member of this site and can’t see what you’re saying.
    How would any of us feel if our entire internet history over the last ten years resurfaced and was dissected online and used as fodder for people to judge you on. Everything from forums ten years ago to the death of her parents is being picked apart and judged.
    I don’t care what she said on ma’s who drink today yesterday or any time. Nothing is deserving of the vile treatment she has received both online and in her personal life.

Well said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

deleted

How are you so sure they're another lie? I don't care who someone is or what they've done but death threats to someone is never ok. And the Gardai are investigating so obviously believe there's something behind it.

I'm not defending anyone because I don't know the person involved from adam! I've never heard her name before in my life. Don't have a clue what her boards name is and don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tostayorgo

Just to be clear I absolutely agree death threats are only used by vile people and rightly so that the gardai are investigating. But this person BU whoever they are has hurt a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tostayorgo

I said if this is the same person as BU.

Your argument makes no sense - she's being falsely accused of something - how can anyone deserve a backlash for something they didn't do?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

I find it hard to believe the person/people behind bu "doing it for the good of the people" are yet happy to accept death threats to another.. something doesn't add up? I don't buy the "she agrees with it"! If my life is at threat your instagram fame is the least of my worries!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

tostayorgo wrote: »
    deleted

If you play with fire? What?
    Nothing she did or didn't do can justify the targeted vicious attack on her character and the sharing of her personal, private information.
    Absolutely nothing.

Its very easy to pick apart her internet history while you post here with the luxury of anonymity, a luxury which has been taken away from that person.

Its quite well known at this point that the person in question is a Boards member yet people are still persisting in talking about both her and the situation as if she isn't here and can't read it.
    Its horrible to read.
    She is a real girl with real feelings and her real, offline life is being affected by this. Some compassion and perspective wouldn't go amiss around here.

I find it hard to believe the person/people behind bu "doing it for the good of the people" are yet happy to accept death threats to another.. something doesn't add up? I don't buy the "she agrees with it"! If my life is at thread your instagram fame is the least of my worries!
    There's 2 separate issues.

The first, someone had issues with the alleged person and spread that name far and wide.

The second, if BU were to reveal themselves, then they are letting themselves in for what the alleged has been through. I'd argue more so because of the Car's Closet & Avant Garde posts. I'm sure those businesses were severely affected.

The alleged received a lot of hate because of their connection to certain people and works in the beauty business. People wanted the alleged person to be BU as an excuse to get back at them. I've been around here long enough to remember posts.

At the end of the day, it would only put BU at risk if they were to reveal themselves. I'm not sure if by revealing themselves that it would take the heat off the alleged because so many people have been gunning themselves at them. I've read Galz this morning and many posters are still adamant that the alleged is making it up despite the Guards taking it seriously. I'm also sure the IT journalist would have done some due diligence before printing that story.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

I find it hard to believe the person/people behind bu "doing it for the good of the people" are yet happy to accept death threats to another.. something doesn't add up? I don't buy the "she agrees with it"! If my life is at thread your instagram fame is the least of my worries!

BU uploaded a screenshot on instagram of people disagreeing with her but forgot to cut out the accused persons profile picture. So either A ) The accused is BU or B ) The accused was sending BU screenshots.

I find it hard to believe that if your life was in threat because you are being accused of being BU that you would continue to send them screenshots. If it was me I'd want absolutely nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

BU uploaded a screenshot on instagram of people disagreeing with her but forgot to cut out the accused persons profile picture. So either A ) The accused is BU or B ) The accused was sending BU screenshots.

I find it hard to believe that if your life was in threat because you are being accused of being BU that you would continue to send them screenshots. If it was me I'd want absolutely nothing to do with it.

If what I have read is correct, all of BU's content comes via followers sending screenshots for her/him to post.
    The person who has been targeted has an interest in blogging, so it isn't a great leap to conclude that she submitted content to BU.
    Which isn't a crime and is something I assume thousands of others have done.
    And its certainly far more believable than this person being the mastermind behind BU.

• Advertisement
Advertisement