Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Influencers over-editing photos in Social Media/Cyber-bullying accusations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

Jason Kidd has a good bit about it on his Instagram story @jassonkidd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Wow! I've watched that twice. Still trying to get my head around it.

I was a big fan of BU when it was about "influencers" trying to scam the public. Getting way too personal and off topic these days. Same for fitfamfailures tbh, too busy trying to be popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

GingerLily wrote: »
    Public figures are regularly exposed in the media for shady behaviour - that's how newspapers etc, make their money - why should influencers be the only group exempt from fair critiquing?

If no one agreed with BU they wouldn't have as many followers - people want to know what's going on - because the industry looks suspicious - and often is!

Do you remember the pay out to Louis Walsh by one of the tabloids for wrongly claiming he sexually harrased someone. Exposing someone on social media in Ireland is subject to the same laws. If it's true, there is no problem, if they are mistaken, there is possible cost to it. One example.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/man-must-pay-75k-damages-for-facebook-defamation-34808254.html

There is some naive belief here that you can just claim stuff about others without any responsibility to truth. Being mostly right is not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Oh. My. Gawd. A certain boardsies profile will be scrutinised after that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I think his story yesterday was one of the most vile campaigns and enabling of hatred that I’ve ever seen in my life. Even if this user was bu, she doesn’t deserve this. Robbing someone’s pics on the net ten years ago when you’re a teen isn’t a crime. People are treating her like she killed puppies for fun. Very uncomfortable viewing and his story is the actions of a man who has a personal vendetta against the girl involved. This isn’t even about is she bu anymore. This is guess how many accounts she has ever had on the internet, every row she’s ever had, everything dispruptive she’s ever said and let’s all have a laugh and ridicule her. They’re bascially pinning every ominous account that has ever existed on her and making her out to be psychotic. I even got accused of being her yesterday because I had the audacity to stick up for her. (hi ma’s! *waves*)
    I’m not sure how he’s getting away with it. What he’s doing isn’t normal or rational.
    It’s disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I’m not sure how he’s getting away with it. What he’s doing isn’t normal or rational.
    It’s disgusting.

It is very nasty now, dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭claregal1

I think his story yesterday was one of the most vile campaigns and enabling of hatred that I’ve ever seen in my life. Even if this user was bu, she doesn’t deserve this. Robbing someone’s pics on the net ten years ago when you’re a teen isn’t a crime. People are treating her like she killed puppies for fun. Very uncomfortable viewing and his story is the actions of a man who has a personal vendetta against the girl involved. This isn’t even about is she bu anymore. This is guess how many accounts she has ever had on the internet, every row she’s ever had, everything dispruptive she’s ever said and let’s all have a laugh and ridicule her. They’re bascially pinning every ominous account that has ever existed on her and making her out to be psychotic. I even got accused of being her yesterday because I had the audacity to stick up for her. (hi ma’s! *waves*)
    It’s disgusting.

Shocking stuff - I've been following BU just out of curiosity - but that story up on his account is terrible ..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Is he connected to the White Moose Cafe guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

I always thought he was a fun, quite laid back guy.... but he's gone way down in my estimation after watching his story. He's acting a like a 12 year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

tostayorgo wrote: »
    But we have the ASAI to deal with these misrepresentations, if you think they are doing something wrong report them. I know most people are going to say the ASAI do nothing but that's the law and it is the right way to deal with things

Yes but advertising (per the ASAI website) is self-regulatory until it's reported. Have you looked at how much they've concluded on in the past 6 months? The law around advertising is the Consumer Protection Act 2007 which deals with false and misleading advertising. However if a post isn't labelled as #ad or #sp how is someone to know whether to report it or not? This is the problem. There is no real guidance for bloggers so they live in a grey area of it.

Lovelygirliebits was showing a few months ago where the ASAI had an event for bloggers. She was hoping for some black and white rules (like there are in the UK) for bloggers here but said she was disappointed with what there was. If it's left a grey area, then it can lead to individuals just not bothering.

I just watched some of that. To be honest he didn't exactly cover himself in glory with it all. Saying that he hopes the threats aren't real but then dragging up a load of posts from that individual from around the internet and taking screenshots messages of anyone who agrees with him or the people who don't but calling them trolls. Not exactly stellar behaviour there. Also it's a bit of a leap the way he concluded that the person and BU were one in the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭claregal1

pc7 wrote: »
    Is he connected to the White Moose Cafe guy?

Yeah think he is ..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

This has morphed WAY from who's behind BU to a vendetta against an individual, and is a really good example of mob mentality. People were initially curious about BU's identity because they were posting really good content. Then a few people who had been featured on the page started turning nasty and trying to 'out' BU for unpleasant purposes. In any case, the content that BU posts has NOTHING to do with a person's internet history. Would we all have unfollowed BU at the beginning if this allegation was made then? Even if BU is the person at the centre of the witch hunt, does it undo any of the good they're done on the BU platform?

I think people are getting WAY too carried away with the dramz and are totally losing the thread. Either BU is a positive platform and it doesn't matter about the person behind it, or the person behind it is more important than the content posted on the platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

I'm not a fan of Jason or WMC but his reasons for his posts is not because he is unveiling BU, it's because he and WMC have been accused of bullying this person by this person by sending death threats and by 'following' the person on Instagram.

He said the guards in tullamore called him this morning re the posts. I can't get a call back re a break in. Yet they ring him a few hours after he posts something online?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

frogstar wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of Jason or WMC but his reasons for his posts is not because he is unveiling BU, it's because he and WMC have been accused of bullying this person by this person by sending death threats and by 'following' the person on Instagram.

He's hardly absolved himself of the bullying charge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Faith wrote: »
    He's hardly absolved himself of the bullying charge!

Ah yes I agree but I believe them in this case. Maybe it's karma :)

frogstar wrote: »

He said the guards in tullamore called him this morning re the posts. I can't get a call back re a break in. Yet they ring him a few hours after he posts something online?

Don't get me started on Tullamore guards and break ins. For the sake of person affected I hope they are more efficient with cyber crime. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭Floppybits

It’s disgusting.
    I'm confused, is this BU that is doing this or someone attacking who they think the person/people behind BU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Floppybits wrote: »
    I'm confused, is this BU that is doing this or someone attacking who they think the person/people behind BU?

http://www.dailyedge.ie/gardai-are-investigating-threats-made-against-a-woman-wrongly-accused-of-running-bloggers-unveiled-4153638-Jul2018/

She's been receiving death threats because she's been accused of being BU.

We don't know who BU is.

The lads at the WMC are convinced it is her, she's a boards user and has had other usernames on Boards. She's also had issues with people on other Facebook groups (Ma's who drink).

Thanks GingerLily.  
    Jaysus you could make a soap opera out of that. 
    This is just madness what is going on trying to expose BU. It seems whoever they are and lets face it could be more than 1, have touched a nerve to cause this much madness to try expose them.  Why are they trying to expose them? Is it because BU is bringing to light the murky practices of Bloggers/Social Influencers and they don't like being exposed? Lets face it this country doesn't treat people who expose unethical behavior very well. 
    The ASAI or legislators need to step up to the plate here and say what is acceptable and what is not and make it crystal clear. Bloggers/Social influencers should be made to make it clear whether or not they are being paid to promote products. For the Fitness influencers (I may trademark that) I think the standards need to be even tougher as these guys can really have negative impact on people. They should be made put up unedited pictures, I really don't like the ones that post up pictures saying hey look at me. I follow Joe Wicks (body coach) and I know he is raking in the money and fair play but at least he is putting up the video's of the workouts and how to do them and not just pictures of himself with his arse sticking out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Apparently her fiancee is a garda...?! I'm not for or against Jason Kidd but I have to say his Instagram story was very interesting... One board user, (whose account has been closed and seemed to be well known on boards) that has been accused sounded ALOT like BU...in terms of witty/bitchy comments, comebacks etc.

I think everyone involved tbh has let themselves down, its turned into a childish silly circus...thats cringe ...but entertaining at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Jason Kidd is doing this. He says he is doing this because he believes this person to be BU, but it clearly isn't even about that any more. It comes across as a personal grudge and nothing more.

I don't care if she was blunt and argumentative on Ma's.
    I don't care that she has strong opinions about social welfare and other such divisive topics. She's entitled to them. I don't have to like them or agree with them but she is entitled to hold them.
    I don't care that she changed her username here, or had more than one account.
    I don't care about what she got up to on Bebo 10+ years ago. I don't care that she likes talking about bloggers and influencers (that's why we're all here).

Nothing in her internet history justifies the targeted attack on this girl, which appears to be based on nothing more than a hunch.
    Her entire life has been picked apart, things she said and did a decade ago is being used for proof.
    Her picture has been posted, her business has been named, for goodness sake one hate page even brought the girls dead parents into it! That's absolutely disgusting!!!!!!!

And for what? Based on what? Because she's BU? She says she isn't, but even if she is BU, so what? Does that speculation entitle us all to have a laugh about her dead mothers mental health? About the poor girls appearance? Does that make it ok?

BU was never one to hold back, but at least she always showed her proof.
    I've seen nothing convincing so far that points to this person being BU, other than she's interested in blogging and has pissed off a lot of people online.

People are so caught up in the drama and gossip they don't care about whats true and what isn't true and this all has real life, offline consequences for a real person.
    A person who doesn't get #ad or #spon, a person trying to run a business, a normal, not insta-famous, average person just trying to make a living.
    This has all left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Apparently her fiancee is a garda...?! I'm not for or against Jason Kidd but I have to say his Instagram story was very interesting... One board user, (whose account has been closed and seemed to be well known on boards) that has been accused sounded ALOT like BU...in terms of witty/bitchy comments, comebacks etc.

I think everyone involved tbh has let themselves down, its turned into a childish silly circus...thats cringe ...but entertaining at the same time.
    Its like watching one these reality TV shows were one of the people of the show has a meltdown or something, you know you shouldn't be watching but you just cant help it.

If your talking about the person being accused, her fiancé isn't a garda.

It isn't entertaining at all. Can you imagine what it would be like to have your life opened up in such a manner and to lose your online anonymity?

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Nothing in her internet history justifies the targeted attack on this girl, which appears to be based on nothing more than a hunch.

Nothing justifies social media attacks on anyone. It's the new form of mob attacking others for pleasure. In this case I don't think anyone comes out well, I don't follow anyone involved but I must admit it's interesting to observe where it will end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

SusieBlue wrote:
    BU was never one to hold back, but at least she always showed her proof. I've seen nothing convincing so far that points to this person being BU, other than she's interested in blogging and has pissed off a lot of people online.

No, what Kidd is trying to say is that BU herself accidentally revealed herself by forgetting to edit out her profile pic in a screenshot. She deleted it but people screenshotted it and knew who she was. People believe that BU and the girl being harrassed are the same person, and she's trying to deflect this so people think the outted person isn't her. This outted person being the person Kidd named/didn't name in his IG story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

It isn't entertaining at all. Can you imagine what it would be like to have your life opened up in such a manner and to lose your online anonymity?[/quote

How did the girl come into this position in the first place ? She must have had some input into that. BU could have come out by now to show who she/they really are, even just to clear the girls name, if she is innocent..... or else be done with the whole thing and close down the page.

All involved, are at fault, weather innocent or not, someone is hardly randomly picked and accused.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

All involved, are at fault, weather innocent or not

Seriously???

rawn wrote: »
    No, what Kidd is trying to say is that BU herself accidentally revealed herself by forgetting to edit out her profile pic in a screenshot. She deleted it but people screenshotted it and knew who she was. People believe that BU and the girl being harrassed are the same person, and she's trying to deflect this so people think the outted person isn't her. This outted person being the person Kidd named/didn't name in his IG story.

All of BU's content comes from people sending in screenshots. She says she sent BU a screenshot, and BU uploaded it without editing out her identifying information. I presume when she realised what she had done, she deleted it.
    Sending screenshots is not a crime.
    I honestly find that scenario much more believable than her being behind the account.

He did name her on Instagram, in fact her referred to her by name many, many times. He didn't allude to who she was, he actually used her real name.

• Advertisement

All involved, are at fault, weather innocent or not, someone is hardly randomly picked and accused.

So would you be as happy for them to find out your true identity, reveal your Boards username to the mass public, share your picture, name your employer, and have your identity and posting history here discussed and dissected at length in a FB group with over 30k people?
    And on instagram?
    You think that would be ok if that happened to you? Or is it only ok because its someone else?

Advertisement