Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Influencers over-editing photos in Social Media/Cyber-bullying accusations

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭TheChizler

SusieBlue wrote: »
    There is a huge, massive difference between BU calling out a salon for posting a photo with misleading, ambiguous, results, and an influencer with over 15k followers throwing out the name of the person they believe to be behind BU based on little more than a hunch with no real proof that I can see, other than he says so. It shouldn't even be up for discussion.
    She is a normal person, not a blogger or an influencer, not a celebrity. There is a massive difference between the two scenarios.
    Didn't even realize they had (only half keeping up with things), I was talking about you saying their hair was misleading. What proof is there that it was fake that's more than a hunch with no real proof?

In any case, if you have less followers or reach does that make it ok to publicly throw out accusations? If we want to hold people to standards we should at least be prepared to follow them ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

dudara wrote: »
    What’s the consensus on this? Are posters here in favour of stopping discussion? I know what I would personally prefer (to step above this mess) but it’s open to the group.
    It's a hard one. On the one hand I'm thinking yes because the whole situation is toxic but on the other it's one of the more sensible and sane conversations.

I'm happy with whatever the mods decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Much as BU could quash any ambiguity about the accused's identity by identifying herself?

This has little to do with the girl in question even being bu anymore. Jason said as much last night when he said “even if she isn’t bu, she’s no angel”.
    So they’re not all too concerned about whether she is or she isn’t. This is nothing more than a blatant hate campaign in its truest form, spearheaded by the two most infamous and professional trolls in Dublin.
    Jason has decided to refute allegations of bullying and harassment, by bullying and harassing her.
    Makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

wyrn wrote: »
    It's a hard one. On the one hand I'm thinking yes because the whole situation is toxic but on the other it's one of the more sensible and sane conversations.

I'm happy with whatever the mods decide.

I'd like you to keep it open if you can, it's hard to get both sides of the story sometimes over social media, it can be a little of an echo chamber, so it's nice to have somewhere that you can actually hear both sides and people with different opinions can contribute..

If you need to lay down additional ground rules that's okay - I'm sure we can manage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Anyone else see the screen shots of fb messenger conversation between Ramona and someone she knows? They’re on Jason kidds instagram? Looks kinda certain that Ramona = BU with those to be honest but again it could be twisted to frame her ..... not sure if I’m allowed post them or not?

• Advertisement

Anyone else see the screen shots of fb messenger conversation between Ramona and someone she knows? They’re on Jason kidds instagram? Looks kinda certain that Ramona = BU with those to be honest but again it could be twisted to frame her ..... not sure if I’m allowed post them or not?

The most likely explanation is she is involved with the page - maybe she's not the only person but it's very unlikely she doesn't significantly contribute to the content of that page.

There's a page bloggersunveiledrevealed - it has some other screenshots too but the page is super nasty so be warned.

Hard to believe all these folk are adults - everyone involved seems to behaving like children

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tostayorgo

I think the thread needs to be closed now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The screenshots show a complete contrast to the Times article, I’m rather confused!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Just a question, why does it matter who is behind that page? I gather some bloggers were affected by their posts (rightly or wrongly) but for vast majority of people following the whole saga it makes no difference who is behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

I don't think it is her ...I think that person is just allowing the option cause the in someway are enjoying the drama. 'Oh it's not me ....oh maybe it is ' kinda thing.

I don't think she's BU.

For one thing.... I've always been impressed by BU's attention to grammar and spelling (bugbear of mine)... and in the screen shots I saw tonight she used the word 'seen' instead of 'saw', albeit she repeated it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭IvyTheTerrific

The whole witch-hunt is making me very uncomfortable...like on the Mas who drink group, you've people saying they haven't slept for three days over it... I mean, get a life!
    I wonder how any of them would feel if people trawled through all their social media and plastered it everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

The whole witch-hunt is making me very uncomfortable...like on the Mas who drink group, you've people saying they haven't slept for three days over it... I mean, get a life!
    I wonder how any of them would feel if people trawled through all their social media and plastered it everywhere.

The whole thing has gotten way out of hand and is a campaign. This guy jasson is taken at his word and anyone who challenges him is accused of been a proxy.
    Throw in a mix of false information to get the mob incensed. People need to cop on and step away from the keyboard.
    Real people get hurt.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

The most worrying aspect is that this is adults carrying on like this. What hope have teens on social media if the parents and adults in their lives are at this bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

It's crazy. Bloggers unveiled did great work to be fair yet people are shaming her.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

It's crazy. Bloggers unveiled did great work to be fair yet people are shaming her.

Out of all the shady things BU has revealed people choose to only hang their hats on the hair extensions thing and the past online reputation of the girl who supposedly is BU (really doubt it is solely her to be fair).

Why are the the majority choosing to ignore the fact that this account shed light on how dodgy these people are and how certain bloggers and influencers are trying to take their followers for fools....

Plus the same people who accused the page of being a troll are now turning into the most nasty and toxic people within this whole mess, the double standards of these people are shocking, but judging by the way some of these present themselves they really have no life outside of the internet so i guess its understandable but by no means acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

BU account is over and done with per the last post on Instagram.  First post on this thread (long time lurker), have enjoyed the drama of it all!! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    BU account is over and done with per the last post on Instagram.  First post on this thread (long time lurker), have enjoyed the drama of it all!! :-)

I think it was over and done when Jason shared those screenshots last night.

Yes BU is finished! I'm sure there will be a new one sooner or later!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

What did they post to announce it is finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

She's packed it in. Its appears that she's been outed.

• Advertisement

Out of all the shady things BU has revealed people choose to only hang their hats on the hair extensions thing and the past online reputation of the girl who supposedly is BU (really doubt it is solely her to be fair).

Why are the the majority choosing to ignore the fact that this account shed light on how dodgy these people are and how certain bloggers and influencers are trying to take their followers for fools....

Plus the same people who accused the page of being a troll are now turning into the most nasty and toxic people within this whole mess, the double standards of these people are shocking, but judging by the way some of these present themselves they really have no life outside of the internet so i guess its understandable but by no means acceptable.

Fully agree. It's a modern day witch hunt. They are just taking delight in the doxxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lauren951

Not to mention names but do people think that BU is the girl named in the article over the weekend? Probably a good thing that the page is finally shut down, people are more aware now, there's no need for the page anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

I know this is gonna sound weird but I really hope BU is the person named cos if it's not, quitting and leaving that person high and dry without revealing themselves would be a pretty despicable thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Lauren951 wrote: »
    Not to mention names but do people think that BU is the girl named in the article over the weekend? Probably a good thing that the page is finally shut down, people are more aware now, there's no need for the page anymore.
    I would reckon it was the same person, they knew the game was up and shut up shop.  Can't stand that smug g0b****e from the WMC, no doubt they will be blowing their trumpet about outing the person.  What BU did in calling him out using his phone while driving was justified IMO.  Ah sure we always have fitfamfailures to look at now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Lauren951 wrote: »

In a bit skeptical that its the person whos name has been widely reported, although obviously I know no more than the next person. From whats been said about that individual they've a long history of catfish accounts and trolling. BU was never a catfish or a troll so it seems like it would be quite a departure.
    As for there being no need for the page - i totally disagree. I'd put money on the fact that the same old phonies will gradually get their swagger back and be up to their old tricks in no time. Probably only a matter of weeks.

SozBbz wrote: »
    In a bit skeptical that its the person whos name has been widely reported, although obviously I know no more than the next person. From whats been said about that individual they've a long history of catfish accounts and trolling. BU was never a catfish or a troll so it seems like it would be quite a departure.
    As for there being no need for the page - i totally disagree. I'd put money on the fact that the same old phonies will gradually get their swagger back and be up to their old tricks in no time. Probably only a matter of weeks.

I think your right but I think BU changed hands recently - I reckon there's a few people involved and I reckon the girl mentioned knows who is actually posting and was helping with the content - that's just my speculation!

There will be another page - first it was bull****callerouter - next bloggers Unveiled - of course there will be another one! I'd say a few will spring up in no time - it'll just be down to which one people want to follow!

SozBbz wrote: »

Well hopefully everyone is a bit more aware of their advertising techniques and pricing structure, even if they get up to their old tricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lauren951

I agree, I think regardless of the page shutting down or continuing people are more aware, if they decide to follow bloggers and put money in their pockets, that's their choice but overall I think BU did a good job in making people realise that bloggers and influencers aren't always genuine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

You're all more optimistic than me! I just think that while BU has taught a lot of people a valuable lesson, that lessons fade in time and that tricks evolve, so depsite there being good awareness right now, I don't know how long it will last.
    There will always be new young girls joining Insta or whatever new social platform takes hold. I think theres always going to be a role for the likes of a BU as long as there are young, impressionable girls and photoshop in this world.
    Lets hope the next BU does as good a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Yes while some of the worst offenders have become fairly quiet out of fear to being outed i think they'll definitely be back to their old tricks. Think i'll be playing spot the #ad and #sp for a while.

Advertisement