Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Influencers over-editing photos in Social Media/Cyber-bullying accusations

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Someone has come forward saying the RT is BU, it's from the Mas who drink FB group but I'm not on that.

They're the person who sent the screen shots of their conversion with Santa Paws (who we know is RT) saying they know they are BU because they saw it on their phone, and a 'Lindsay know'.

Its on Bloggers Unveiled Gossip on Insta if anyone wants a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

GingerLily wrote: »
    AD has an American twang??

You just be joking

She may not, but so many of them have the same mannerisms and speak the same way etc.
    Even resting their chin on their fingers (whatever that is about).

Anyway, my point remains the same, if there are so many that I think talk and act the same, would it not seem daft of me to assume that they are all the one person?
    At this stage BU or RT may or may not be messaging a lot of people with or about stuff, but for everyone to be coming to the conclusion that 'they write the same way so it must be her' is a bit of a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bilkmuttons

Someone has come forward saying the RT is BU, it's from the Mas who drink FB group but I'm not on that.

They're the person who sent the screen shots of their conversion with Santa Paws (who we know is RT) saying they know they are BU because they saw it on their phone, and a 'Lindsay know'.

Its on Bloggers Unveiled Gossip on Insta if anyone wants a look.

She claims to be the person who sent it in but hasn't provided any proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Only came across this row in the last week since the newspapers reported on it. Can anyone tell me how did BU earn money if their purpose was to out bloggers telling porkies?

Also same question about McCabe, her Patroen account says she has income of $285 per month, how is she making a living off doing this blogging?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Only came across this row in the last week since the newspapers reported on it. Can anyone tell me how did BU earn money if their purpose was to out bloggers telling porkies?

Also same question about McCabe, her Patroen account says she has income of $285 per month, how is she making a living off doing this blogging?
    Shes not, she also has a paying job and does some freelance work also. She also does the occasional paid partnership with brands. Patreon is just another revenue stream.

• Advertisement

BU didn't make money as far as I know - a passion project!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

SozBbz wrote: »
    Shes not, she also has a paying job and does some freelance work also. She also does the occasional paid partnership with brands. Patreon is just another revenue stream.

Alright, didnt realise that. Whats her other job?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tostayorgo

That's my point though, journalist for reputable papers don't go writing stuff written by anonymous people, they have to verify everything is true. So they must have done some checks, they would not risk exposing the newspaper to litigation. They couldn't come back later and say "Oh I didn't know she was a troll"

I don't know that journalists knew she was a troll though, they wouldn't usually get involved this world.

tostayorgo wrote: »
    That's my point though, journalist for reputable papers don't go writing stuff written by anonymous people, they have to verify everything is true. So they must have done some checks, they would not risk exposing the newspaper to litigation. They couldn't come back later and say "Oh I didn't know she was a troll"

I don't understand the logic - sorry? They have just quoted Ramona - what Ramona says doesn't need to be true. Politicians lie to papers all the time.

As for her being a troll, how does that change the article? I didn't read it as it is behind a pay wall, I've only read the journal copycat article.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tostayorgo

Really, are you saying BU could post whatever they liked and other newspapers would re post this without any checks ? I can understand regarding the death threat that came from Ramona but not the rest of the reposting.

I don't understand the logic - sorry? They have just quoted Ramona - what Ramona says doesn't need to be true. Politicians lie to papers all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Ah here you know you are losing when you say "sure Politicians lie to papers all the time".  That really is the bottom of the barrel. :)

Really, are you saying BU could post whatever they liked and other newspapers would re post this without any checks ? I can understand regarding the death threat that came from Ramona but not the rest of the reposting.

The IT had an interview with Ramona, that's what I'm talking about.
    Reposting BU brings in third parties so obviously that's different.

Im getting lost on what your point is?

Floppybits wrote: »
    Ah here you know you are losing when you say "sure Politicians lie to papers all the time".  That really is the bottom of the barrel. :)

My point is Ramona went to the IT and said she wasn't BU, the IT don't have to know if this is true, as long they are only publishing this as a quote. The same as politicians.

SozBbz wrote: »

Alright, didnt realise that. Whats her other job?
    Not entirely sure but its 4 days a week and its in the media/copywriting/editing space as far as I know. 
    Oh she also still teaches the ocasional PT class in Lyft.
    In short I'd say she has one main job and 4/5 side jobs/revenue streams which are less consistant and more on an adhoc basis, of which Patreon is one.

Actually, on the subject of RMC - did anyone else catch her spending diary this week? It was particularly ridiculous.
    I'll preface this by saying that I'm not a hater, I do follow her on insta, because i believe shes transparent and has something to say for herself. I regularly don't agree with her and can absolutely find her extremely annoying, but to me thats still better than the usual bunch of blogger hunzos who are all represented by the same agency and promote the same things all day long, and once the money keeps coming the reviews are always positive :/
    Anyhow, I digress.
    This weeks spending diary. Budget of €150 and spent €500. 
    €100 of this was money she sent to some other internet person to "support them/pay it forward".
    She will never be rich, that much is for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Did you read the actual article? It's literally just about Ramona Tracy who is getting death threats because people think she is BU. She still supports the work BU does, she is strong person but she is on anxiety meds because of this, Gardai are investigating. There is nothing more to it. I have The Times subscription and I am only keeping it because of ther UK edition. (And to balance out Irish Times and Guardian - yes I am addicted to news). A lot of Irish coverage of politics is ok but "life and style" has the feel of something that was delegated to an intern. There is nothing defamatory in the article but the most time consuming part of writting that story was the drive to Tullamore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Suckit wrote: »
    Sorry, but she may have some good points, and she may even be right, but halfway in, it just boils down to the "same articulate language" as BU.

A genuine observation that I have had from watching all of these bloggers/influencers, is that so many of them seem to use the same facial expressions, speak the same way, use their hand to frame their face or hold up their chin the same way, have a hint of an American twang in some sentences and more things I have left out.
    Does that mean that they are all the same person too?

I find that none of the ones from North Dublin can pronounce their t’s. Except Sue, who has changed her accent.
    I think that’s why I got fed up listening to AD that time, and I only listened for context for this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Bloggers accents are getting criticised now? This thread is an absolute farce

Feel free to contribute your opinions/thoughts on the topic, if you have any

Feel free to contribute your opinions/thoughts on the topic, if you have any

Those are my thoughts on the topic. The thread has descended into a farce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭blairbear

It's a matter of personal taste. I find it really difficult to listen to anyone who swears a lot, has poor vocabulary, is inarticulate, does not enunciate or is very repetitive.

AD was highly repetitive and swears non-stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I wasn't criticising bloggers accents.
    A few people have said that the writing style of the trolls is similar, therefore they must all be RT.
    I was pointing out that I have thought many of the bloggers/influencers seem to have very similar persona's, or mannerisms etc. and speak in a similar way.

I have no idea how that came to be, but it is definitely happening, and there is no reason it couldn't carry over to their style of posting or messaging.
    My main point was that it is a bit of a stretch to say that they have no doubt that the people doing all of the trolling (that they are being targetted with) are in fact, the same person.

If they put themselves out there, they are likely going to be trolled. It is not so likely that all the accounts trolling are the same person. They can't handle that, so like to convince themselves that it is just one person.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ClickRbait

Someone needs to pitch a documentary to RTE and call it 'The Unveiling'. Can you imagine the ratings!

Suckit wrote: »
    I wasn't criticising bloggers accents.
    A few people have said that the writing style of the trolls is similar, therefore they must all be RT.
    I was pointing out that I have thought many of the bloggers/influencers seem to have very similar persona's, or mannerisms etc. and speak in a similar way.

I have no idea how that came to be, but it is definitely happening, and there is no reason it couldn't carry over to their style of posting or messaging.
    My main point was that it is a bit of a stretch to say that they have no doubt that the people doing all of the trolling (that they are being targetted with) are in fact, the same person.

If they put themselves out there, they are likely going to be trolled. It is not so likely that all the accounts trolling are the same person. They can't handle that, so like to convince themselves that it is just one person.

I actually wasn't referring to your post, it was the post which mentioned that North Dublin bloggers can't pronounce their t's

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭DublinHun72

Legit question.. what is AD hoping the gardai will do?
    I really don’t think they care who BU was for a starter but realistically what are they / can they do about screenshots and he said she said ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

Legit question.. what is AD hoping the gardai will do?
    I really don’t think they care who BU was for a starter but realistically what are they / can they do about screenshots and he said she said ?

Harassment I presume!

blairbear wrote: »
    It's a matter of personal taste. I find it really difficult to listen to anyone who swears a lot, has poor vocabulary, is inarticulate, does not enunciate or is very repetitive.

AD was highly repetitive and swears non-stop.

Fair enough if the post was "x blogger/ whatever keeps repeating themselves over and over" but when their accents are criticised, that to me is just pointless bitchiness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

ClickRbait wrote: »
    Someone needs to pitch a documentary to RTE and call it 'The Unveiling'. Can you imagine the ratings!

Pensioners won't watch it, it doesn't feature football or GAA and as far as I know it wouldn't feature any weddings. Rte would't touch a programme like that.... Maybe if they persuade RT to sob on camera how all this affected her wedding preparations. (Before anyone gets excited I don't even know if she has a boyfriend.)

Fair enough if the post was "x blogger/ whatever keeps repeating themselves over and over" but when their accents are criticised, that to me is just pointless bitchiness.

Get lost. You already made that point. Coming in to a thread and adding nothing to the discussion but criticising other posters opinions, to me that’s just pointless asshattery.

• Advertisement

Get lost. You already made that point. Coming in to a thread and adding nothing to the discussion but criticising other posters opinions, to me that’s just pointless asshattery.

I was responding to a poster that quoted me, what's your problem with that?

My opinion is that it's bitchy to criticise bloggers accents, how is that opinion less valid than any other opinions raised on this thread in a discussion forum? I have posted here before. Several times. Accuse me of pointless asshattery all you want, I'm not the one getting personal about people's accents.

Oh and FWIW, yours isn't the only bitchy comment I've seen. This thread is toxic in general, towards both sides.

Advertisement