Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Influencers over-editing photos in Social Media/Cyber-bullying accusations

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

This story gets weirder and weirder. It's honestly like some sort of cheap made-for-TV movie designed to document the era of social media and bloggers and how mad of a world it all is.

Those lads from that cafe are a pack of clowns with the maturity and emotional intelligence of a four year old. Every "blogger" embroiled in this should be examining their own business ethics and moral backbone instead of getting involved in the dramatics of "who is she??" and making themselves look like a pack of self-obsessed teenagers who honestly should go for a walk outside in the fresh air and get over themselves. The game's up like, you got called out, now off you go and try to build a more reputable business that doesn't rely on photoshop, lying and the gullibility of young women to survive.

And that former boards poster...really disappointed to see that she's involved in all of this. <snip>

This post says it all. I would thank it 100 times if I could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Kelsey_frankie on Insta has her own BU story!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭margaretdublin

Has anyone followed davidthomaswhite

I like that he is very concise and articulate on blogging in Ireland. It baffles me that if Ramona Treacy was behind all this that she would even recommend us to follow him.

Anyhow going forward it seems there is going to a big clean up in the blogging world, this was posted a while ago but worth reading:

The Irish Times - background-checks-for-online-influencers-under-core-policy ( I can't post link sorry)

I didn't know the ASAI were self regulatory, that explains their lack of interest in reprimanding bloggers who don't adhere to the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Anyhow going forward it seems there is going to a big clean up in the blogging world, this was posted a while ago but worth reading:

The Irish Times - background-checks-for-online-influencers-under-core-policy ( I can't post link sorry)

I didn't know the ASAI were self regulatory, that explains their lack of interest in reprimanding bloggers who don't adhere to the rules.
    https://www.adworld.ie/2018/06/15/core-introduces-new-guidelines-procedures-dealing-influencers-ambassadors/

There have been a few stories like that. I read one a few months back that said they were going to bring in all sorts of rules and a new way to monitor. I think things like that are best believed when they are seen. Nothing seems to have happened at all since I read the article and it was written as though it was happening in a few days or a week.

Also Core can't implement too many rules, as it would effect them also.

It's interesting to look at the effect that BU had on the blogging industry and I would imagine that these organizations are only too glad of the demise of the page. Now that the page is gone I don't think they will be in any hurry to change things.

Suckit wrote: »
    https://www.adworld.ie/2018/06/15/core-introduces-new-guidelines-procedures-dealing-influencers-ambassadors/

There have been a few stories like that. I read one a few months back that said they were going to bring in all sorts of rules and a new way to monitor. I think things like that are best believed when they are seen. Nothing seems to have happened at all since I read the article and it was written as though it was happening in a few days or a week.

Also Core can't implement too many rules, as it would effect them also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Shergar6

What are peoples thoughts on why Ramona allowed a photo of her to be posted in the paper? She could have done the interview without the photo. Now everyone knows what she looks like. Attention seeking? Trying to make her "I'm not BU" act seem legit?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

Shergar6 wrote: »
    What are peoples thoughts on why Ramona allowed a photo of her to be posted in the paper? She could have done the interview without the photo. Now everyone knows what she looks like. Attention seeking? Trying to make her "I'm not BU" act seem legit?

"Blogger / Influencer" and "attention seeking" in the same sentence..... I've seen it all now.

"Blogger / Influencer" and "attention seeking" in the same sentence..... I've seen it all now.

This is probably the funniest post I've ever seen on boards..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

This is probably the funniest post I've ever seen on boards..

Is this your first day?

Is this your first day?

Ouch...... I feel victimized, insta story incoming !!!!

• Advertisement

But "Ramona" wasn't a blogger or influencer.

She's saying I don't give a F**K about your death threats, I know who wrote them.:)

But "Ramona" wasn't a blogger or influencer.

What was BU then ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

An old fella said to me ‘you have a face for radio’.
    Must have been BU in disguise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

GingerLily wrote: »
    Kelsey_frankie on Insta has her own BU story!

And another fame hungry herd are born!

What was BU then ?

Jesus wept!!, You don't get it. Ramona was trying to convince people she wasn't BU. She was just a country beautician who knew nothing. Ramona Tracy was never a blogger or an influencer. She didn't court attention for her true identity. It was all anonymous. So why put that picture out there.

Jesus wept!!, You don't get it. Ramona was trying to convince people she wasn't BU. She was just a country beautician who knew nothing. Ramona Tracy was never a blogger or an influencer. She didn't court attention for her true identity. It was all anonymous. So why put that picture out there.

She courted attention, she courted drama, she just wanted it under an alter ego

GingerLily wrote: »
    She courted attention, she courted drama, she just wanted it under an alter ego

Exactly. So allowing that photo out there knowing that a lot of people had already guessed she was BU is just weird. Dumbest move ever. Without a photo it would just be a name. I know there is talk of people have old Facebook photos of her but I haven't seen any yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Exactly. So allowing that photo out there knowing that a lot of people had already guessed she was BU is just weird. Dumbest move ever. Without a photo it would just be a name. I know there is talk of people have old Facebook photos of her but I haven't seen any yet.

She probably had to go along with the act!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

"I'm afraid for my life"

*Gives interview complete with photo to the Sunday Times*

Seems legit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Just seen this on twitter if you follow the replies.

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Just seen this on twitter if you follow the replies.
    https://twitter.com/DearbhlaHere/status/1024688463910760449?s=19

What's new that was on that? Everyone knows RT is Santa Paws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

The journo/photog probably took her by surprise and said “sure no harm, we’ll just get a quick one to reinforce your account of being an innocent beautician who has been been falsely roped into the line of fire” or whatever. I recall her photos around here being a lot more curated and...flattering, I guess. So have to assume she went for the “innocent ordinary beautician from the country” angle.

If you really were afraid for your life would you not try to hide your identity?

"I'm afraid for my life"

*Gives interview complete with photo to the Sunday Times*

Seems legit.

If you really were afraid for your life would you not try to hide your identity?

The people she was afraid knew her identity.

Do you mean by the time she did the interview her identity was out there? And do you think she really was afraid? Of CC who she wrote about?

The people she was afraid knew her identity.

Do you mean by the time she did the interview her identity was out there? And do you think she really was afraid? Of CC who she wrote about?

I reckon it was the white moose cafe lads and one of the girls from IT Galz. It sounds like they suspected it was her and were trying to smoke her out, fair enough, she'd trolled them in the past.

She might have been afraid but not of those guys, I think she was trying to control the situation, I think in hindsight it was the wrong move, instead of sympathy she just put a face to the person who had trolled A LOT of people over the years. Almost everyone on insta now has their own Ramona story.

I don't know if it even matters if she is BU anymore, the other stuff is as big now.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Moyglish

That's what I've been wondering about. Did RT basically out herself?

Before she went public and gave her story to a national newspaper and voluntarily put her face and name out there, I would assume that up until that point it was only a handful of people who knew, or at the very least, suspected, it was her.

But by voluntarily putting herself out there, she opened up a can of worms and herself to enormous scrutiny as now, even people who were only vaguely interested, had a face and name to latch onto. And then of course the rumour Mill went into overdrive and people started putting 2 and 2 together and before she knew it, she was Public Enemy No. 1

Did she bring about her demise and downfall all by herself? I reckon if she hadn't done the interview, she'd still be living a relatively normal life now with only a select few gossiping about her behind closed doors and in DMs and PMs, but now the genie is out of the bottle and it's all out in the open and everyone knows.

Could she really have been that shortsighted and naive to put herself up for public scrutiny like that? I presume that it was she who approached The Irish Times and not vice versa?

Or did she really think that by going public she was going to pull the wool over everyone's eyes playing the victim card?

I just find it staggering how this all blew up, seemingly by her own makings..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

Moyglish wrote: »
    Or did she really think that by going public she was going to pull the wool over everyone's eyes playing the victim card?

It looks to me like it was this. She (BU) posted a screenshot for whatever reason in her stories seemingly giving away her identity and quickly deleted but it was seen, and Instagram accounts started popping up saying they knew who she was. Then one account posted a photo of Ramona's eyes and it blew up. After that Ramona was on damage control and stupidly went to the papers.

I would love to know what is going through her head right now. She must be raging that she's been caught out. Now any troll account will be rightly or wrongly attributed to her. Certainly for the next few months anyway.

• Advertisement

She had already received death threats at that stage so yes, her identity was out there and had been for a few months. By the time the article has published her name was doing the rounds on twitter and in FB groups.

Advertisement