Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Influencers over-editing photos in Social Media/Cyber-bullying accusations

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

That article has a lot of words for very little story.
    Doubt she will be getting any prizes for investigative journalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Perhaps I missed it but where does the jessisfake blogger explain the connection between “jess” and RT?

Ramona was behind a fake trolling profile where she called herself Jess, she catfished people and stole her profile photo from a rose of tralee contestant!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

If the person has been such a prolific troll (how they had the time I don't know), you'd wonder are they in withdrawals now after being outed 'allegedly' by so many. In other facebook groups I've seen people who were accused of being BU receive horrible abuse and pm's, like wtf is wrong with people. Also anyone who trolls at all now is accused of being RT.

pc7 wrote: »
    If the person has been such a prolific troll (how they had the time I don't know), you'd wonder are they in withdrawals now after being outed 'allegedly' by so many. In other facebook groups I've seen people who were accused of being BU receive horrible abuse and pm's, like wtf is wrong with people. Also anyone who trolls at all now is accused of being RT.

What Facebook groups?

Definitely not okay for anyone to receive abuse.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

GingerLily wrote: »
    What Facebook groups?

Galz who Snap, a few girls have said it.

• Advertisement

Definitely not okay for anyone to receive abuse.

That's it, totally cray cray! But as a previous poster said, its only in online circles who were following any of this that know whats going on. The wider public aren't interested or don't know.

Either way, its a good reminder about what you do/say/share online or social media.

Ramona was behind a fake trolling profile where she called herself Jess, she catfished people and stole her profile photo from a rose of tralee contestant!

But where’s the paragraph explaining the link between jess and RT. I know people have said they are one in the same but I haven’t read how they came to that conclusion.

But where’s the paragraph explaining the link between jess and RT. I know people have said they are one in the same but I haven’t read how they came to that conclusion.

http://jessisfake.blogspot.com/?m=1

This has more information on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭margaretdublin

They are probably trolling loads of sites still or have grown out of it?

The Sunday Times are still saying it wasn't Ramona

http://digitaltraininginstitute.ie/john-mooney-bloggers-unveiled/

I don't condone trolling but it galls me to think that maybe WMC got the most benefit in terms of publicity and followers by outing Ramona Treacy who probably wasn't behind BU all along if we are to believe the Sunday Times.

They are probably trolling loads of sites still or have grown out of it?

The Sunday Times are still saying it wasn't Ramona

http://digitaltraininginstitute.ie/john-mooney-bloggers-unveiled/

I don't condone trolling but it galls me to think that maybe WMC got the most benefit in terms of publicity and followers by outing Ramona Treacy who probably wasn't behind BU all along if we are to believe the Sunday Times.

Does anyone really care if she was BU anyway?

She was likely behind a lot of online trolling and bullying, which is what most people are actually appalled at.

I don't think the WMC got that much exposure, they have been doing stunts for ages, and they'll do more stunts, it's hardly a turning point for them I wouldn't have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

Going by a fair amount of people ANY trolling that they have experienced very much is RT despite the lack of proof, this makes her some kinda Kaiser Soze type person.

Irregardless of proof many bloggers at the center can very much accused of using the aftermath of this to hitch their wagon to her in an attempt to ride the coat tails of this whole ridiculous "scandal".

In reality that doesn't really directly affect anybody other than the men/women in their mid thirties who use blogging as an extension to hold on to or experience the popularity they had (or still think they deserve) in their secondary school days or those who cant stand being caught out at being dishonest.

It seems that it is almost a dirty word to talk about BU now everyone seems to want to put it to bed.

Does anyone really care if she was BU anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It seems that it is almost a dirty word to talk about BU now everyone seems to want to put it to bed.

I think the Times article was kicking the hornets nest. If you want to do a 'poor me article' better make sure there aren't a bunch of people you harrased under different names who will be fuming reading about how hard it is for you when you are on the other end of harassment. It's the definition of hypocrisy.

BU is just a fuse that ignited the whole thing. Btw I'm pretty positive BU would cease operating weather there was Ramona Tracey or not. The possible legal action by Cari's Closet
    would be far more serious and expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭TheChizler

http://jessisfake.blogspot.com/?m=1

This has more information on it.
    My brain is melted reading that but unless I missed it, the whole thing seems to be based on her stating that Ramona is Santa Paws, again, am I missing some evidence? There are a load of links to missing screen caps, that's all I can find.

TheChizler wrote: »
    My brain is melted reading that but unless I missed it, the whole thing seems to be based on her stating that Ramona is Santa Paws, again, am I missing some evidence? There are a load of links to missing screen caps, that's all I can find.

The missing screen grabs were annoying.

If I’ve read correctly,
    the woman who started the jessisfake blog back in 2010 had an issue with someone called jess on a website that’s no longer online.
    This blogger worked out that “jess” was Ramona Treacy as on Bebo and Facebook, Ramona would talk about her flat mate “ka”. On the website that’s now gone, “jess” also had a flat mate called “ka”

Now how she found this out I don’t know. The conspiracy theorist in me would not be surprised if this jessisfake blogger is also RT and was covering all angles of trolling :D

I don't really care who was BU, I do miss the idea of it, that someone was keeping an eye on the crazy photoshopping and calling them out on dubious stuff. The make up school was a great out as was cari's closet (allegedly).

Thankshun_Penneys did a cool video on instagram last night showing how you can clean up a photo, its pretty amazing what can be done. Its worth a watch, good message too, just be you, don't believe the bs.

I don't really care who was BU, I do miss the idea of it, that someone was keeping an eye on the crazy photoshopping and calling them out on dubious stuff. The make up school was a great out as was cari's closet (allegedly).

The problem with great outs is that when they start to hurt people will look into what you claim and if everything is factual. It's not enough that the gist of the message is right your claims have to be verifiable or it could be very expensive. And even if it never gets to court the cost won't be insignificant once you need to employ a solicitor. It won't be under legal aid or on no win no fee basis. It's a very risky activity and I wouldn't do it unless there was possibility of significant income. If nothing else to get the insurance.

Yeah very true Meeeeh, some of the BU posts were off topic imo (the animals stuff and that), some definitely skirted close to the edge (allegations of drink driving).

Hopefully its made young people a bit more savvy and aware that the sun doesn't drip out of these 'influencers' back sides #ad #sp #paidpartnership! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Thankshun_Penneys did a cool video on instagram last night showing how you can clean up a photo, its pretty amazing what can be done. Its worth a watch, good message too, just be you, don't believe the bs.

I like Lena. She's down to earth. Sad to see her news last week :(

The missing screen grabs were annoying.

If I’ve read correctly,
    the woman who started the jessisfake blog back in 2010 had an issue with someone called jess on a website that’s no longer online.
    This blogger worked out that “jess” was Ramona Treacy as on Bebo and Facebook, Ramona would talk about her flat mate “ka”. On the website that’s now gone, “jess” also had a flat mate called “ka”

Now how she found this out I don’t know. The conspiracy theorist in me would not be surprised if this jessisfake blogger is also RT and was covering all angles of trolling :D

The jess is fake blogger is named in the Broadsheet article so I don't think she can be Ramona.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Anyone with a young impressionable daughter/sister/whatever should watch Lenas video on altering photos - shes actually fantastic and come across as very real.
    Did anyone see RMC on twitter/instastories clapping back at people speculating about her personal life? Like....I'm really in two minds on this. On one hand I think if you put yourself out there and share aspects of your life as they are going well, you can't be that surprised when people ask what happened when that person just disappears. On the other hand, the "curiosity" from certain quarters is probably totally mean-spirited rather than genuine concern for the whereabouts of her ex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

SozBbz wrote: »
    Anyone with a young impressionable daughter/sister/whatever should watch Lenas video on altering photos - shes actually fantastic and come across as very real.
    Did anyone see RMC on twitter/instastories clapping back at people speculating about her personal life? Like....I'm really in two minds on this. On one hand I think if you put yourself out there and share aspects of your life as they are going well, you can't be that surprised when people ask what happened when that person just disappears. On the other hand, the "curiosity" from certain quarters is probably totally mean-spirited rather than genuine concern for the whereabouts of her ex.

She comes across as a bit of an arse all right. You can’t expect to share stuff about your personal life and not expect people to take an interest and talk about it.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Btw I'm pretty positive BU would cease operating weather there was Ramona Tracey or not. The possible legal action by Cari's Closet
    would be far more serious and expensive.

Absolutely, I agree. And isn't that what the Sunday Times are saying, that it closed down under the fear of legal action? But they are still saying it's not Ramona Treacy who ran it. I'm just curious as to why they are sticking to their guns on this.

Yes, she can't pick and choose what she wants to share when she already shares aspects of her private life.

SozBbz wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

She comes across as a bit of an arse all right. You can’t expect to share stuff about your personal life and not expect people to take an interest and talk about it.

I was expecting a crying selfie like that other time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

If the person has been such a prolific troll (how they had the time I don't know), you'd wonder are they in withdrawals now after being outed 'allegedly' by so many.

Still at it I'd imagine. I half-assume any "there's no proof" or vaguely pro-Ramona posts in this thread from users with suspiciously low post counts is her tbh.

Still at it I'd imagine. I half-assume any "there's no proof" or vaguely pro-Ramona posts in this thread from users with suspiciously low post counts is her tbh.

They're not all her, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is something was going on!

That or a support group from Reddit is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Mods have tools to see this. She's not posting here as a new account.

I'm in the Reddit group but that's in no way why I don't think she's BU. It's to do with my real life background. I know better than to make assumptions or be lead to conclusions. Do I think it's possible Ramona is BU, yes. Do I take it for granted based on those incomplete screenshots, absolutely no. Same with why I don't automatically assume that the trolls some influencers are talking about are Ramona. It just suits the narrative and there's absolutely no proof whatsoever.

• Advertisement

Sorry to disappoint, I'm not a Ramona fan nor does being in a Reddit group qualify to being her supporter.

When this whole thing blew up I believed everything that was said about RT but after reading it all I've come to a different conclusion to both of you. I don't claim to know the answers but I thought Boards was one of the more balanced discussion places but it seems as I said earlier that we can't discuss that now.

Advertisement