Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Influencers over-editing photos in Social Media/Cyber-bullying accusations

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

It would be interesting to know who here isn't in a reddit group...

Like this post if you aren't in reddit.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

GingerLily wrote: »

You do know that the Reddit group started from here? In fact there’s a number of Reddit groups now both public & private

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I applied to the Reddit group months ago but couldn’t figure it out. Tried again but group had been locked down them. Found reddit a nightmare to navigate.

Are you in a reddit group?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Why is it interesting? If you think there’s universal support for Ramona on reddit you’re very wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Speaking of Reddit, I'd like to join the Irish bloggers related ones that were initially set up by people from here, but unfortunately I cannot find them on there or don't know the names of the groups.

Anyone care to enlighten me or send a link please? It's not the first time I've gone looking either. I wouldn't be the most proficient at Reddit however.

wyrn wrote: »
    You do know that the Reddit group started from here? In fact there’s a number of Reddit groups now both public & private

Yes I remember, I didn't go to reddit myself because I found RT too toxic and didn't want to join an unmoderated group where she was a member.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Why is it interesting? If you think there’s universal support for Ramona on reddit you’re very wrong.

No I believe there was a discussion of this thread on Reddit and suddenly about six* people from there moved over to set the record straight.

*six is not actual number

Moyglish wrote: »
    Speaking of Reddit, I'd like to join the Irish bloggers related ones that were initially set up by people from here, but unfortunately I cannot find them on there or don't know the names of the groups.

Anyone care to enlighten me or send a link please? It's not the first time I've gone looking either. I wouldn't be the most proficient at Reddit however.

The main group is private and not accepting new joiners at the moment. I know there’s at least one public thread but I don’t have the link as I don’t use it but someone else might be able to PM you with it.

Yes I remember, I didn't go to reddit myself because I found RT too toxic and didn't want to join an unmoderated group where she was a member.

All forums on Reddit are moderated

• Advertisement

Did you know RT was RT when the reddit group was started?

Did you know RT was RT when the reddit group was started?

No, just her Boards aliases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

And isn't RT one of the mods on the reddit group?

Why? First off, all Reddit groups have mods. In fact the very first place we landed in was a public thread and the mod was a non Boards person. It was in the main / general blogging subreddit.

In fact, I used to just read there at the very beginning, I signed up way later than everyone else. So you didn’t need to be a member to join initially. Once the page became known on galz or Mas, there was an influx of members so it became much more than just a few boards members.

Then an actual subreddit was established. It was made private because of trolling. A different public page was set up (I think we’re on the 3rd one now) because Reddit automatically closes threads after 6 months. Someone in the new public thread set up another private group. I think there was a private group in between those two but isn’t active any more. As far as I know RT is only in 1 of the groups.

So it’s not some big conspiracy that we’re all in there supporting her. We all have very varying ideas on pretty much every topic.

Here was the first public thread, then the second and the current one - which is quiet but people still lurk. Hope that dispels a few myths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Why? First off, all Reddit groups have mods. In fact the very first place we landed in was a public thread and the mod was a non Boards person. It was in the main / general blogging subreddit.

I can't speak for GingerLily but people who moved to Reddit moved because in their opinion weren't able to discuss topics freely on Boards. My opinion of their discussion was that it was mostly just nasty gossip under the veil of 'what about the kids'. However some points were useful.

I don't follow bloggers but I do find the phenomenon interesting, I also find the whole question how to regulate false or hidden advertising intriguing. And finally I find it useful when talking to my nine years old boy about YouTubers he watches. He is not into make up but the principle is the same and it helps me to challenge him to think about hidden advertising and product placement.

So while I find some discussion about blogging interesting, I don't think following threads on Reddit would be of too much interest to me if they were moderated or not. Especially because I didn't like a lot of people who moved there, I didn't even think RT was the worst.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I can't speak for GingerLily but people who moved to Reddit moved because in their opinion weren't able to discuss topics freely on Boards. My opinion of their discussion was that it was mostly just nasty gossip under the veil of 'what about the kids'. However some points were useful.
    I personally moved over because of 1 poster here. I felt that I wasn't judged for talking about bloggers & the influence industry. I was made to feel shameful about being interested. I know others moved over when posts from one of the threads here was being deleted.

In terms of the "nasty gossip" - I know this is a perception and that's why I posted the links to all the public threads to show what was actually said. It's been 10months now and I can't remember all the posts, but I don't think there as any particularly nasty gossip.

That's a really good idea about highlighting this type of industry practice with youtube influencers. I know there are loads in the gaming industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

What exactly did BU do to the White Moose lads? I've seen people say she called Paul out for snapping while driving, or snapping while driving without a seatbelt, that broadsheet article says she implied they were driving during a red weather warning, the it gals podcast was noticeably vague. I am in my absolute hole going trawling through their social media to find out, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭margaretdublin

Ah now com'on! Some of the stuff was horrible! Do you not remember the stuff posted about Rosie Connoll and Faces by Gracie and the brown couch and having no regard for her anxiety. Sure there was slanderous stuff posted there about Pippa O Connor. If you said anything positive there about a blogger you were shunned! The hole thing evolved into a showdown to bring down the blogging industry in Ireland
    In terms of the "nasty gossip" - I know this is a perception and that's why I posted the links to all the public threads to show what was actually said. It's been 10months now and I can't remember all the posts, but I don't think there as any particularly nasty gossip.

Ah now com'on! Some of the stuff was horrible! Do you not remember the stuff posted about Rosie Connoll and Faces by Gracie and the brown couch and having no regard for her anxiety. Sure there was slanderous stuff posted there about Pippa O Connor. If you said anything positive there about a blogger you were shunned! The hole thing evolved into a showdown to bring down the blogging industry in Ireland
    Woah, there's a lot of stuff there. Actually yes, I did forget some of that. But no, I do have to say that you don't get shut down for having different views. Also, at the start of the year there was so much praise for Grace and how proactive she's been. It's not all about bitching. Also commenting negatively by saying that Grace was always on the brown couch - isn't being bitchy. It's pointing out the perception of what Grace is showing us. The Pippa stuff was horrible but shut down. I saw worse being said on Galz/Mas. I'm not sure what you are referring to Rosie, the Rimmel blurring or the photoshoot for the pram? I have to say, I've started following a lot of new influencers (mainly smaller ones) because of recommendations on that thread.

• Advertisement

What exactly did BU do to the White Moose lads? I've seen people say she called Paul out for snapping while driving, or snapping while driving without a seatbelt, that broadsheet article says she implied they were driving during a red weather warning, the it gals podcast was noticeably vague. I am in my absolute hole going trawling through their social media to find out, tbh.
    The IT gals cover it on their podcast - it's worth a listen but skip the very long intro.

That story was one of the worst to come out

I'm not a member of Galz and I stayed about two days on the Mas pages but all those groups to me are breeding grounds for hate. That's just my personal opinion. I agree the Reddit group was nothing like Mas but at the same time some stuff was just horrible.

Woah, there's a lot of stuff there. Actually yes, I did forget some of that. But no, I do have to say that you don't get shut down for having different views. Also, at the start of the year there was so much praise for Grace and how proactive she's been. It's not all about bitching. Also commenting negatively by saying that Grace was always on the brown couch - isn't being bitchy. It's pointing out the perception of what Grace is showing us. The Pippa stuff was horrible but shut down. I saw worse being said on Galz/Mas. I'm not sure what you are referring to Rosie, the Rimmel blurring or the photoshoot for the pram? I have to say, I've started following a lot of new influencers (mainly smaller ones) because of recommendations on that thread.

Sorry my bad about the mods.

My point still remains, I didn't go near reddit because of some of the toxic posters on Boards were leaving to go to Reddit. I used to get nasty PMs if I disagreed with posters here.

It got full grown mean girls here for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

The IT gals cover it on their podcast - it's worth a listen but skip the very long intro.

That story was one of the worst to come out

I listened to it but all I caught them staying about the origins of that was that BU had "gone after" Paul or something similarly vague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

I listened to it but all I caught them staying about the origins of that was that BU had "gone after" Paul or something similarly vague.

As far as I can remember he was called out for driving and snapchatting at the same time

Sorry my bad about the mods.

My point still remains, I didn't go near reddit because of some of the toxic posters on Boards were leaving to go to Reddit. I used to get nasty PMs if I disagreed with posters here.

It got full grown mean girls here for a while.
    I'm very sad that you've been harassed on boards. I hope the mods sorted it out for you. No one should have to go through that.

Like I said, it did start out with boards members (pretty much people from this thread) but once word got it, loads of random people joined. I'm currently loving r/wedding on Reddit - love looking at all the dresses and rings.

OK I'm going to stop talking about Reddit & BU as it's totally gone off topic.

In regards to over-editing photos - I am terrible at spotting things. I take everything at face value but I can't figure out if MUF edited this badly with photoshop or it's just a weird angle? What's going on with her legs? https://www.instagram.com/p/Bmxs0YAhNNe/

Well it's good to hear what Gingerlily has to say and fill those of us in who aren't long term members of this thread. I just knew there was a ban on posting if you had less than 50 posts I think so I would just pop in now and then. But seeing how bitchy people posted on Reddit made me realise why Boards was heavily moderated.

OK I'm going to stop talking about Reddit & BU as it's totally gone off topic.

[/url]

Well it's good to hear what Gingerlily has to say and fill those of us in who aren't long term members of this thread. I just knew there was a ban on posting if you had less than 50 posts I think so I would just pop in now and then. But seeing how bitchy people posted on Reddit made me realise why Boards was heavily moderated.
    You want to see bitchy, check out https://gurugossiper.com/

Please stop tarring all of us on the different Reddit groups as being bitchy. Sure there was some bitchy comments like you'd see on any social media account, but overall it's well balanced.

FYI I wasn't trying to shut down Ginger Lily. I personally feel that what I'm saying is going around in circles and that's why I'm steeping out of it. If anyone has any questions, they can PM me. From now on, I'm staying on topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

You want to see bitchy, check out https://gurugossiper.com/

:D I've gone on that site before, a huge amount of them are completely obsessed with the bloggers/vloggers they supposedly hate!

Advertisement