Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

UsedToWait wrote: »
    I think you just plug in the two sat feeds..

Re: the second bit, sorry, picked you up wrong - thought you were asking about unused bouquets..

THHB (hero of this thread!) can advise I'm sure..

No worries. Managed to SSH in and delete them in /media/hdd/movies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The two satellite feeds go to tuner 1 and tuner 2. The satellite loop outs are not used.
    In Webif you access 'movies' up in the top left-hand corner of the page. From there you can also view, copy/backup or delete them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The last few mornings , I'm getting a message telling me the saorviwew hasn't updated .
    There are no problems watching Saorview stuff after I press OK.

Any ideas ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I find the fan very annoying the way it speeds up and down, anyone have a fix for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

quarryman wrote: »
    I find the fan very annoying the way it speeds up and down, anyone have a fix for it?

I've never once heard a fan, even with 2 recordings heavy usage. Could it be the hdd spinning up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

• AutoBouquetMaker is configured to add Saorview first and then Freesat category bouquets and is set to automatically run daily (this updates any frequency changes in line with the Saorview and Freesat EPG). Change your Saorview region in menu -> setup -> service searching -> AutoBouquetsMaker -> providers -> saorview area, then press green to save and then start a scan.

Hi THHB, I know this was discussed on the thread before, but can't seem to locate it.

I'm setting up a box for a very non techy person, so just want the epg to default to the Favourites, and no other bouquets to be visible.

Is there a setting somewhere in ABM that will ensure new bouquets aren't made each time it runs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Unsure if you hide other sections in abm you will just see the ones you want visible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ngc.ie

Hi, thanks for all the great help in this thread with the setup,
    I have loaded THHB's image from page 5 and I'm trying to clearly understand the autobouquets, same like comment above I'm trying setup the box for someone else and want to simplify the displayed bouquet list and edit channels within them

what's the story with autobouquetsmaker is there away you can permanently delete/rearrange the existing bouquet listing and edit the channels within them or will it keep returning to the default listings and contents after a scan?....should I disable scan?

or would I set up my own new bouquets the way I want them (I notice these remain the same after a scan), if so can you permanently hide/delete the other existing bouquets list so they do not reappear after a scan?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

You have a TV aerial loop out, you connect this to your TV so you can watch the Saorview channels on the TV itself while the box is recording/streaming Saorview

Hi THHB

ON the aerial loop. The cable that came with the box is only a couple of inches long and the ends on it do not fit into my TV anyway, do i just extend it using a fitting and cable to get to the TV. Or can I just use any cable that fits and run it straight from the box ( Loop out connection ) to the TV? Or do I need to use the specific cable that came with it for some reason?

Thanks
    JB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Any standard coax lead that fits the connection on the box and TV will work.

It's the push-on type coax lead you need (not the threaded F type which is for satellite).

• Advertisement

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Any standard coax lead that fits the connection on the box and TV will work.

It's the push-on type coax lead you need (not the threaded F type which is for satellite).

Perfect thanks for that..

I see another thread on this forum about Freesports Channel, is this channel available through the Tiviar? Is it just a matter of searching for it?
    If anyone on here knows it would be great?

Regards
    JB

Freesports HD is available but is still testing so it's a bit erratic. Might be best to wait until it settles down before tuning it in.

Also having some trouble pairing the tiviar remote with my tv, anyone done this or had any issues? Basically just for powering off and volume reasons?

Do you mean like cec setting to on ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

JB81 wrote: »
    Also having some trouble pairing the tiviar remote with my tv, anyone done this or had any issues? Basically just for powering off and volume reasons?

Manual
    Page 63

sligojoek wrote: »
    Manual
    Page 63

That manual is for the original OS, these boxes have been flashed with Enigma which is an open source Linux OS.

Menu -> setup -> system -> HDMI CEC

• Registered Users Posts: 6 vincent17

Hello.
    I have used THHB's image in the past when i got my new box and thank you for that.
    I had a Zgemma before and used Wooshbuild 5/6/7 but it was getting slow and crashing a lot so i got the Tiviar but Wooshbuild did not do a build/image for it.
    I was checking another forum site about Wooshbuild and he/she now does one for this box and i have installed it and it's just like what my old Zgemma used to look like.
    It didn't take that long to flash either and it looks really good.
    I hope this maybe of help to people who get this box and are not sure what to do.

vincent17 wrote: »
    Hello.
    I have used THHB's image in the past when i got my new box and thank you for that.
    I had a Zgemma before and used Wooshbuild 5/6/7 but it was getting slow and crashing a lot so i got the Tiviar but Wooshbuild did not do a build/image for it.
    I was checking another forum site about Wooshbuild and he/she now does one for this box and i have installed it and it's just like what my old Zgemma used to look like.
    I hope this maybe of help to people who get this box and are not sure what to do.

That looks interesting. How does it run?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 vincent17

vincent17 wrote: »
    Hello.

That looks interesting. How does it run?
    For me it runs ok. Just like when i used it on my old Zgemma Star S.
    I am in England and use the box for Sky, UK freeview and IPTV and i put in a 320gb hard drive 1 week ago and apart from 1 crash it has been great.
    Woosh has done this build called Infinity for a lot of Enigma2 boxes running ATV 6.1 and 6.2 i think.
    I am not sure if forum users know of him/her and the Wooshbuild build/images but there is a lot of Wooshbuild threads on another forum site i go on and it has been very helpfull to me in the past as has Boards.ie also.
    I did not know what the rules are about telling other users on here about this build and the other site and that is why i have not mentioned it.
    Also thank you for letting me use your image/build in the past.

That manual is for the original OS, these boxes have been flashed with Enigma which is an open source Linux OS.

Menu -> setup -> system -> HDMI CEC

I enabled HDMI CEC. Do I now set up remote as per manual or should it work automatically? Doesn't seem to be doing any controlling of the TV. I assume you push the tv button to then turn off the actual TV itself?

• Advertisement

I enabled HDMI CEC. Do I now set up remote as per manual or should it work automatically? Doesn't seem to be doing any controlling of the TV. I assume you push the tv button to then turn off the actual TV itself?

What make TV, you need CEC enabled on the TV. different manufacturers call it different things. On LG it's Simplink

What make TV, you need CEC enabled on the TV. different manufacturers call it different things. On LG it's Simplink

PAnasonic TV. Viera link it is called. Its all enabled. Im probably doing something totally wrong. But not to worry, not a major issue.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭doogb

Hi,

I've THHB image running on my STB.

Anyone know what I need to enable to allow my STB to read files from other devices on my network ?

Also how do I stop the weather and clock showing every time I change channel ?

Cheers.

If you have other e2 boxes have samba enabled and mount them from the network browser on box as it scans all network boxes.
    Do you have those plugins enabled for weather or clock?If you remove them plugins they wont be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭GSRNBP

Can I ask what's the point of the USB Stick Storage add-on option of WoS for this?

I've installed HDDs before on PCs so I'm presuming a self-install on this is worth the savings (£40 for 500GB is expensive considering you can get a decent 1TB on Amazon for £36) - no surprises when you open the box?

Usb size of 8gb i would use for flashing images or storing epg to usb and leave recordings to hdd,try not to use passports and to use powered hdd if external.Some boxes due to size cant take internal hdd.

I keep getting conflicts on timers / autotimers even though there were only two set to record. One on ITV and one on ITVBe. Just wondering why that would be?

Regards
    JB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

I keep getting conflicts on timers / autotimers even though there were only two set to record. One on ITV and one on ITVBe. Just wondering why that would be?

Regards
    JB

Have you definitely got both tuners set up and enabled, with a signal on both?

It
    Have you definitely got both tuners set up and enabled, with a signal on both?

I thought i did. See screenshots attached, any ideas if i am doing something wrong?

I just can't seem to get my head around the timers. There was one thing set to record on ITV and nothing else, and the box jumped to that channel and I couldn't watch anything else. It was the only thing recording.

When setting up an autotimer you pick a start and end time for the box to look for matches, so i was wondering if two autotimers were being looked for at the same time would this use up a tuner? This may not be making sense?!!

Also is there any way to see where the conflicts are?? if message comes up saying there is a conflict?

Also not able to live pause on some things? Is this normal?

Sorry for all the problems, would appreciate it if someone could help.

• Advertisement

Swap your feeds or use signal finder to make sure you have a signal on both cables. Make sure you're got them connected to the right ports

It

I thought i did. See screenshots attached, any ideas if i am doing something wrong?

I just can't seem to get my head around the timers. There was one thing set to record on ITV and nothing else, and the box jumped to that channel and I couldn't watch anything else. It was the only thing recording.

When setting up an autotimer you pick a start and end time for the box to look for matches, so i was wondering if two autotimers were being looked for at the same time would this use up a tuner? This may not be making sense?!!

Also is there any way to see where the conflicts are?? if message comes up saying there is a conflict?

Also not able to live pause on some things? Is this normal?

Sorry for all the problems, would appreciate it if someone could help.

You've got two cables from your dish going into the box, right? One to each tuner? If so, I'd try setting up the tuners again - unless you're doing something complicated I don't think they need to be on 'Advanced' mode. I'd set it to Auto for both tuners and see if you get anywhere. What image are you using on the box?

Everything you've described with the timers and it jumping to a channel and not letting you watch anything else, suggests only one tuner is configured correctly (or only one has a signal).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

You've got two cables from your dish going into the box, right? One to each tuner? If so, I'd try setting up the tuners again

IIRC, the two sat input tuners weren't as you'd expect on the box i.e. not right beside each other - I'd check the back of the box again...

You've got two cables from your dish going into the box, right? One to each tuner? If so, I'd try setting up the tuners again - unless you're doing something complicated I don't think they need to be on 'Advanced' mode. I'd set it to Auto for both tuners and see if you get anywhere. What image are you using on the box?

Everything you've described with the timers and it jumping to a channel and not letting you watch anything else, suggests only one tuner is configured correctly (or only one has a signal).

Thanks for that, im using the image from above in this thread. I havent changed anything. Ill try signal finder to see what im getting. Cheers

Swap your feeds or use signal finder to make sure you have a signal on both cables. Make sure you're got them connected to the right ports

Will try signal finder thanks.,

Will try signal finder thanks.,

So, switched them around and also checked with signal finder ( 90% on both ), so looks ok to me.
    When setting up autotimer there is a start time and end time for searching ( not start and finish time of the programme itself ) and i was wondering would this be using up a tuner? So if i had a programme to record at 9pm but the autotimer was set to search for a match from 7pm to 10pm, would this use a tuner?

Also do you know if there is any way to see where the conflicts arise, as it only puts up a message to say there is a conflict at the moment?

Thanks
    JB

• Advertisement

To check that the tuners are working and getting a signal
    MENU>SETUP>SERVICE SEARCHING>SIGNAL FINDER>
    Use left-right buttons to select either tuner. Both should have the same readings.

So, switched them around and also checked with signal finder ( 90% on both ), so looks ok to me.
    When setting up autotimer there is a start time and end time for searching ( not start and finish time of the programme itself ) and i was wondering would this be using up a tuner? So if i had a programme to record at 9pm but the autotimer was set to search for a match from 7pm to 10pm, would this use a tuner?

Also do you know if there is any way to see where the conflicts arise, as it only puts up a message to say there is a conflict at the moment?

Thanks
    JB

Search does not use a tuner, it searches the EPG.

To check that the tuners are working and getting a signal
    MENU>SETUP>SERVICE SEARCHING>SIGNAL FINDER>
    Use left-right buttons to select either tuner. Both should have the same readings.

Yeah done that and both reading the samel. Both tuners seem to be working ok.

Ah well, Ill soldier on.

Yeah done that and both reading the samel. Both tuners seem to be working ok.

Ah well, Ill soldier on.

Menu -> setup -> recording and timeshift -> recording settings -> make sure preferred tuner for recordings is disabled

Menu -> setup -> recording and timeshift -> recording settings -> make sure preferred tuner for recordings is disabled

Yeah it is as well.

Just out of curiosity what is timeshift?

• Advertisement

Just noticed you have tuner A set as "advanced". Why?
    "Simple" should be Ok with tuner B set as "equal to A"

Not sure this will help your current issue but...

Just noticed you have tuner A set as "advanced". Why?
    "Simple" should be Ok with tuner B set as "equal to A"

Not sure this will help your current issue but...

I have never changed that, it was set like then when I flashed the image from THHB. Like you say, I don't think it is affecting my current issue anyway... cheers

Yeah it is as well.

Just out of curiosity what is timeshift?

Timeshift is pause and rewind live TV

If I were you, I'd start from scratch at this stage. Flash a new image to the box and see how you get on. I personally use OpenATV, and it's not too difficult to set up from scratch if you aren't afraid to do a bit of tinkering. The other benefit is that you'll know exactly how everything is set up.

I have OpenATV and I haven't really touched any settings myself.

Example from last night.
    Herself had auto timers set up for Emerdale from 7pm to 8pm and Corrie from 8pm to 9pm, both on ITV which was fine.
    She also had Love Island on ITV2 from 9pm to 10pm. Which was also ok. Nothing else recording at 9pm.

I went on to BBC1 NI and set a timer for the Argentina match from 6.30 to 9.30 i think. And there was a conflict.

I would only ever had 2 things recording at any one time.

So I thought about it and I changed the end time of the football timer to 20.59.
    And this did not come up with conflict.
    So I think as Corrie was finishing at 9pm, and Love Island was starting at 9pm, and the football was still on at 9pm, this meant there was 3 recordings at that single point. Would I be right??

Gonna play around with it again, and see what would have happened at 9pm if i had left all timers on!

I am having problems getting my Saorview signal sorted, not a problem with the Tiviar, its a aerial/signal issue. So once I get this sorted I can be watching football and other things on Saorview so it won't be a major issue. But just trying to figure it out...

JB

I have OpenATV and I haven't really touched any settings myself.

Example from last night.
    Herself had auto timers set up for Emerdale from 7pm to 8pm and Corrie from 8pm to 9pm, both on ITV which was fine.
    She also had Love Island on ITV2 from 9pm to 10pm. Which was also ok. Nothing else recording at 9pm.

I went on to BBC1 NI and set a timer for the Argentina match from 6.30 to 9.30 i think. And there was a conflict.

I would only ever had 2 things recording at any one time.

So I thought about it and I changed the end time of the football timer to 20.59.
    And this did not come up with conflict.
    So I think as Corrie was finishing at 9pm, and Love Island was starting at 9pm, and the football was still on at 9pm, this meant there was 3 recordings at that single point. Would I be right??

Gonna play around with it again, and see what would have happened at 9pm if i had left all timers on!

I am having problems getting my Saorview signal sorted, not a problem with the Tiviar, its a aerial/signal issue. So once I get this sorted I can be watching football and other things on Saorview so it won't be a major issue. But just trying to figure it out...

JB

You might be on the right track there. Overlapping timers can cause conflicts. I have my box set up to auto record a few minutes on either side of the set program too, so for example 7-8 on mine would actually be 6.57 to 8.03. Worth checking if yours is set up that way too.

You might be on the right track there. Overlapping timers can cause conflicts. I have my box set up to auto record a few minutes on either side of the set program too, so for example 7-8 on mine would actually be 6.57 to 8.03. Worth checking if yours is set up that way too.

I have mine set at zero minutes before and at the end. So records 7-8 only. To try and stop the conflicts. If I could set it at minus one at the end i think my problem would be solved. So record from 7 - 7.59, Barring herself possibly missing a minute of live island ( God forbid ).

Jb

Yes overlapping times can have an effect and sometimes if there is a +1 or on later one can set a new recording so as not to clash.

Anyone else have issue recently with itv and itv+1 disappearing of the EPG?
    What's the easiest way to relook for them. An arithmetic scan or could I reload last backup? Don't want to lose any timers

Anyone else have issue recently with itv and itv+1 disappearing of the EPG?
    What's the easiest way to relook for them. An arithmetic scan or could I reload last backup? Don't want to lose any timers

Use autobouquetmaker, select a mainland UK Freesat region to get ITV (NI will get UTV)
    You can also find it in all channels and add it to favourites

• Advertisement
Advertisement