Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭greasepalm

A lot of people leaving Sky as costs are high but many wont go back as cannot afford it so why need a hybrid ?

New sky tv dont use a sat dish and are IPTV via broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭swoofer

And a quad ordinary lnb would be a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭phishcakes

I actually have the original sky hybrid lnb here from when the sky was first installed

That wont be hybrid, a hybrid allows Sky Q and ordinary Sky HD + to work. Do a pic in case I am wrong. Basically if it was a true hybrid you would not need to change it for the one in your pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭phishcakes

It’s another one I have that the sky technician had left when the dish was originally fitted, says hybrid on it

• Advertisement

If its new you might have a chance to sell it to someone else who needs a hybrid and that you no longer want/need sky services.

Others may want and looking to add another freesat box into their viewing?

Now that is weird and that is a hybrid as it has 6 outputs. I wonder if he could not fit it and left it with you just in case. There should be a label on the other side and this lnb is better than a bog standard hybrid as you can use any out to work sky q and any output to work your sky hd + box.

They are expensive now.

Can you reach you dish easy? I think you said it was in an awkward position but your pic looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭logonmar

I have a 2 Tiviar Combo Boxes and both are running fine

However in past few days the EPG for Channel 5 & Channel 5 +1 is no longer updating.

All other channels are updating same as always

Can anyone suggest anthing I might do to rectify

I hadn't changed any settings and Ch 5 programmes were on EPG a few days ago

Yes its the same for everyone and awaiting a fix as some say it might be moving transponders.

It seems to be all the ch 5 even changing to a 2108 number listed.

It might be just a wait for providers to fix their issues and epg returns.

This is not the case on my boxes, epg is working as normal this is with latest Openvix image and using OpenTVEPG downloader.

You could try a re-scan on DVB-S QPSK 10964 H, 22000, 5/6.

You did not say the image.

• Advertisement

You have lost me there!! OP is using a Tiviar. Mine is enigma 2 box with openvix image and open tv and hdf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The CH5 suite of channels had issues on FreeSat recently. OpenEPG users were not affected it seems.

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/comment/101879330#Comment_101879330

Would freesat be used on a Tiviar?

I have freesat in use on Vu Solo2 and have the epg and ch5 issues also but its not a big deal as next time i use it maybe fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heiser

Can RTE+1 be tuned into this box? I found it in a scan but there's no picture

Not on Sat

Should be able to receive it on Terrestrial via aerial

Working here on 3 rock transmitter.

How long was it since you scanned Saorview in case it moved

• Registered Users Posts: 82,776 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Anyone got any ideas about what could be causing slowness on this box, I am getting the busy indicator in the top left of the screen most times when doing simple tasks like changing through channels or going through menus. I have tried flashing back to my previous build that and that has the same problem, have also tried going back to the original 6.1 build here and that has the same problem.

I am thinking it could be the hard drive on the way out or some corruption on it, unfortuntely I don't have a spare to swap and try. Would that sound like next logical step or perhaps some way I can format or reconfigure the drive?

Usually reflashing and setting up from scratch fixes things.

Dont have epg going to Internal flash.

You can reformat and lose everything on drive , any recordings send somewhere else before a format.

Sometimes they say to remove Hdd from it to see if it makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭andy1249

Its an old old box now , mine died because of swollen capacitors on the mainboard.

Take the lid off , have a look , there are 5 or 6 main capacitors on the board , see if the tops are swollen , if so , time for a new box.

• Advertisement
    M

An update, I disconnected the HD and tried using it, no speed issues at all. I copied what I needed and I formatted the hard drive and re-initialised after adding the fresh image again, all sorted now.

Internally it looked ok, no signs of any swelling of the capacitors, I cleared a small bit of dust off the fan while it was open.

Thanks for the advice.

Was the Hdd internal or external by usb?

M

Internal, 1TB. Had been fine for last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heiser

Got the answer!

Post edited by Heiser on

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

Suddenly find that parent's TIVIAR box is throwing up what looks like an error message on a daily basis. No obvious problems in terms of the box, other than this message appearing daily. Running open ATV 6.2. I know picons are the small icons that identify channels. Is is asking me to get a new picons file? Any advice on how to make it go away?

Not sure but your on an old non supported image and if things have changed might throw up errors ?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

I recently got my tiviar box back up and running after been disconnected for a couple of years.

My image could do with being updated and just wondering what's the latest stable image I could use and where I could download from please?

I see highhorse has a download but it's from 2018 so looking for something a little more up to date if possible. I'm using OpenATV 6.0.

Thanks

All boxes supported but not using OpenATV.

http://images.mynonpublic.com/openatv/current/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Been running an openatv 6.2 image from about 2019. Not updated as it's working.

One quirk I have found is if I change the AC3 delay the sound can just stop after a period of time. Only way to fix is the change the delay back to 0 and restart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭kindalen

Any way to update to get dmax and other channels back that have gone? Thanks.

Advertisement