Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Use that, just extract the zip and put the picon folder onto the usb and plug it in

Ok. Thanks.

Have flashed box.
    Added picons
    Downloaded Cross EPG once
    Set EPG to HDD storage
    Saorview - need to sort this myself
    Wireless connection done
    Cant seem to change weather setting for my area, but not too bothered
    Backed up image

ANything else you would recommend doing or adding the box to make it better?

Couple of other channels i want to add. Do i just do this manually and add them to a particular bouquet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

JB81 wrote: »
    Couple of other channels i want to add. Do i just do this manually and add them to a particular bouquet?

Add them to favourites it's the only one that doesn't get overwritten daily when Autobouquetmaker updates
    Cant seem to change weather setting for my area, but not too bothered

One of the remote buttons deletes the number, not sure which

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

It'll be next week before I can get mine. In the meantime I ordered this HD on amazon. Good reviews and 43 quid delivered.

Seagate 1 TB

THHB, I've copied and pasted all your advice so hopefully won't have to bother you too much when I get sorted.

SteM wrote: »
    Forgot to mention that the Movie Organisor (sic) plugin is well worth installing on this box. It scans your hard drive at a user-defined time and puts all of your shows that have multiple recordings into their own folders.

So if your kid records Postman Pat on series link it will put all of the episodes into their own folder. Very handy, stops the drive from getting clogged up with one big list of shows.

How do you go about getting this plug in, do i download it from internet onto my laptop and put it on usb and then put in into tiviar box?
    Or whats best. I cant seem to get the wireless connection on my box to my wifi working correctly. DO i need this working to install plugins?

How do you go about getting this plug in, do i download it from internet onto my laptop and put it on usb and then put in into tiviar box?
    Or whats best. I cant seem to get the wireless connection on my box to my wifi working correctly. DO i need this working to install plugins?

To get your wireless connection working you need to enable DHCP, it's set to no in the image your posted earlier, change it to yes.

• Advertisement

To get your wireless connection working you need to enable DHCP, it's set to no in the image your posted earlier, change it to yes.

I done that, but when i do my IP address does not come up when i check for it. I know i have it already from before, but it just doesnt seem to be functioning and i cant connect to it with filezilla. All makes me think its not working properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Its your box ip filezilla is looking for like 192.168.1.14,type your in on pc browser it should open webif so we know its correct.
    filezilla client uses box ip and root and it should hook up,like on the pm i sent.

greasepalm wrote: »
    Its your box ip filezilla is looking for like 192.168.1.14,type your in on pc browser it should open webif so we know its correct.
    filezilla client uses box ip and root and it should hook up,like on the pm i sent.

So when I go into WLAN settings the IP address shown there is not my box IP address?
    Where do i get my box IP address then?

Box ip should be got from Adapter setting in network.

Or setup- information-network

• Advertisement

I done that, but when i do my IP address does not come up when i check for it. I know i have it already from before, but it just doesnt seem to be functioning and i cant connect to it with filezilla. All makes me think its not working properly.

DHCP is a setting that allows your Tiviar to get it's IP address, gateway and nameserver automatically from your router. If it's not turned on your box is not connecting right and will not know what IP address to use to talk to your router. Go into scan and try to connect again with DHCP turned on.

We can also set these details manually. What type broadband do you have and what model router?

DHCP is a setting that allows your Tiviar to get it's IP address, gateway and nameserver automatically from your router. If it's not turned on your box is not connecting right and will not know what IP address to use to talk to your router. Go into scan and try to connect again with DHCP turned on.

We can also set these details manually. What type broadband do you have and what model router?

3 Mobile Broadband. Huawei B525 Router.

When I got the Wifi Adaptor with the box I was reading the manual for it. I followed the instructions and put it into to laptop and set it up.
    From reading online at WOS it looks like it comes already set-up, so i am not sure if i needed to do this, or if i should have just put it straight into the Tiviar and went from there. This may be confusing it as it was connected from my laptop originally to the same network.

When I get home later I am going to do a complete factory reset of the Tiviar and start again.
    And I am going to figure out how to reset the WIFI adaptor as well ( although cant seem to find out how online ), and put it straight into Tiviar and see what happens from there.

Thanks for all your help last night and to the other posters as well

3 Mobile Broadband. Huawei B525 Router.

When I got the Wifi Adaptor with the box I was reading the manual for it. I followed the instructions and put it into to laptop and set it up.
    From reading online at WOS it looks like it comes already set-up, so i am not sure if i needed to do this, or if i should have just put it straight into the Tiviar and went from there. This may be confusing it as it was connected from my laptop originally to the same network.

When I get home later I am going to do a complete factory reset of the Tiviar and start again.
    And I am going to figure out how to reset the WIFI adaptor as well ( although cant seem to find out how online ), and put it straight into Tiviar and see what happens from there.

Thanks for all your help last night and to the other posters as well

Don't, a factory reset is not needed and would be a stupid move at this stage. Plugging a dongle into a laptop would not cause any issues

I've an Edison box here, this is the process, I can see where you're going wrong
    menu -> setup -> system -> network -> device setup -> wlan connection -> scan wireless networks
    highlight your connection then press green to connect

use the following settings:
    use interface - yes
    use dhcp - yes
    use manual dns nameserver - no
    hidden network - no
    network name (SSID) - yournetworkname
    Encryption - WPA
    Encryption key - yournetworkpassword

Green to save

Don't, a factory reset is not needed and would be a stupid move at this stage. Plugging a dongle into a laptop would not cause any issues

I've an Edison box here, this is the process, I can see where you're going wrong
    menu -> setup -> system -> network -> device setup -> wlan connection -> scan wireless networks

use interface - yes
    use dhcp - yes
    hidden network - no
    Encryption - WPA

Green to save

Not at home, but this is the same settings I am using. But will try again later. I might actually take my router and plug it in beside the Box and run a network cable between them. This might work and I can leave the router there.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

Hi all,

Got delivery of this box and am very impressed so far but for one issue;

Cannot get rid of Audio description.

Can anyone help?

JOSman wrote: »
    Hi all,

Got delivery of this box and am very impressed so for but for one issue;

Cannot get rid of Audio description.

Can anyone help?

Yellow, then select the other audio track.
    Also in audio auto language selection set English as your first audio language

Hi High Horse,

When I press yellow I get

AC3 downmix on
    AAC downmix on
    Audio Channel stereo

1. MPEG NAR
    2 MPEG English

What settings should this be?

Thanks J

Hi High Horse,

When I press yellow I get

AC3 downmix on
    AAC downmix on
    Audio Channel stereo

1. MPEG NAR
    2 MPEG English

What settings should this be?

Thanks J

The second one mpeg English is the ordinary audio track. Ac3 and aac downmix should be on unless you've got a surround receiver connected that can decode them

use interface - yes
    use dhcp - yes
    hidden network - no
    Encryption - WPA

Green to save

Finally got the wifi working, was WPA2 needed.
    Got filezilla working and copied the picon folder over on to the USB, seems to have went successfully.
    Dont see the picons on screen. DO i need to activate them, or do i need to re-flash?

Hi High Horse,

The above settings are what I have but still have Audio description?

Is there another setting I need.

Heading out now, will try again later.

Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement

SteM wrote: »
    Forgot to mention that the Movie Organisor (sic) plugin is well worth installing on this box. It scans your hard drive at a user-defined time and puts all of your shows that have multiple recordings into their own folders.

So if your kid records Postman Pat on series link it will put all of the episodes into their own folder. Very handy, stops the drive from getting clogged up with one big list of shows.

Hi there
    Could you pm me link to this plugin please. Do i download it on laptop and copy it via filezilla to the harddrive on the machine?

Finally got the wifi working, was WPA2 needed.
    Got filezilla working and copied the picon folder over on to the USB, seems to have went successfully.
    Dont see the picons on screen. DO i need to activate them, or do i need to re-flash?

Picons go in /media/usb/picon on the usb key. You did extract them from the compressed zip file right? Either use FileZilla or put the extracted picon folder on the usb with your laptop, no need for FileZilla at all if you're using a usb key for picons not the internal hdd

Hi High Horse,

Thanks for your help.

You should get normal English audio whey you select the second audio track, you have the first English narrative selected. Highlight the second and select it

Picons go in /media/usb/picon on the usb key. You did extract them from the compressed zip file right? Either use FileZilla or put the extracted picon folder on the usb with your laptop, no need for FileZilla at all if you're using a usb key for picons not the internal hdd

yeah done exactly that through filezilla

yeah done exactly that through filezilla

Remove the usb and use your laptop to check you have a folder called picon with the picons in it. That's picon, not picons

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

THHB . Change of plan. I'm ordereing now. One Q do I odrder open vix or open atv?

sligojoek wrote: »
    THHB . Change of plan. I'm ordereing now. One Q do I odrder open vix or open atv?

There isn't much in the difference between them, both are very stable. It really only matters of you want to set it up from scratch yourself, if you intend to use my image flashing an image wipes whatever you get anyway. Mine is based on Openatv, I prefer it as I feel they are slightly ahead of OpenVix

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Hi High Horse,

Thanks for your help.

MENU>SETUP>AUDIO>AUTO LANGUAGE SELECTION
    Set audio language selection 1 to English
    Set "prefer AC3 track" to on

Remove the usb and use your laptop to check you have a folder called picon with the picons in it. That's picon, not picons

Done thanks, and working,

• Advertisement

Done thanks, and working,

Sit back and enjoy!

Advertisement