Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Go to recording and timeshift and make sure you are recording movies to /media/hdd/movie and timeshift is set to /media/hdd/timeshift. Make sure timeshift autorecord is turned off. In Epg -> CrossEpg -> configure set the storage device to your internal hdd not internal flash. The play button brings up the default location to recordings

I did all that then EPG. It's giving me 2 choices: Flash disc or internal Flash Unsuggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

sligojoek wrote: »
    I did all that then EPG. It's giving me 2 choices: Flash disc or internal Flash Unsuggested.

Hold on. Have you a hard drive or usb key

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭greasepalm

usb or hdd need to setup for ext 3- ext4 as thats the correct protocol for recordings.

Hold on. Have you a hard drive or usb key

A seagate 1 TB hard drive. just installed it today.

A seagate 1 TB hard drive. just installed it today.

Press blue -> mounts -> device manager, is your hard drive listed and mounted in /media/hdd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

My crossepg is not pulling down Epg when I try a manual download. It's because I can't get a tuner lock , probably a bad connection . But I still have a full 7 day Epg - is that because I'm pulling it from network - also if it's being pulled from internet , is there any reason to have it fetch from satellite as well?

Also guessing when recording there is no way to strip ads out .

john_doe. wrote: »
    My crossepg is not pulling down Epg when I try a manual download. It's because I can't get a tuner lock , probably a bad connection . But I still have a full 7 day Epg - is that because I'm pulling it from network - also if it's being pulled from internet , is there any reason to have it fetch from satellite as well?

Also guessing when recording there is no way to strip ads out .

You'll need to get your satellite signal sorted. I've always used satellite
    source for EPG so cannot comment on how dependable it is. If it's working leave it alone.

No ad striper that I know of

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

You'll need to get your satellite signal sorted. I've always used satellite
    source for EPG so cannot comment on how dependable it is. If it's working leave it alone.

No ad striper that I know of

Ya it's working fine. The satellite signal is fine too for watching. Might leave well enough alone.

Missed a few programs recoding due to the other shows pushing way later than expected and surpassing the buffer I had.

Press blue -> mounts -> device manager, is your hard drive listed and mounted in /media/hdd

That's coming up blank.

That's coming up blank.

Your hard drive isn't initialised. Go to menu setup -> system -> storage -> devices -> initialisation, click on your added drive and initialise it

• Advertisement

Im getting as far as System. Storage > devices etc not coming up. All I have is Network, HDMI CEC, time settings, logs settings and factory reset.

Im getting as far as System. Storage > devices etc not coming up. All I have is Network, HDMI CEC, time settings, logs settings and factory reset.

Blue button -> mounts -> device manager, is it listed there?

Blue button -> mounts -> device manager, is it listed there?

Ya. device manager is there but the HDD isn't showing up

Ya. device manager is there but the HDD isn't showing up

You sure you connected it right, you need to open it and check

I'll do that. It was showing up earlier as 1000 gb. now it's gone

Here's the HDD. Am I right in thinking the underside is very exposed for something that's screwed to a metal frame?

I'm back very tired and getting very drunk. I ordered two of those HDDs , one for this and one for my son's PS4. After a lot of plugging and unplugging the HDD my son said "try the other HDD". I tried it and everything seems to be working perfect.

I'm back very tired and getting very drunk. I ordered two of those HDDs , one for this and one for my son's PS4. After a lot of plugging and unplugging the HDD my son said "try the other HDD". I tried it and everything seems to be working perfect.

Glad you got it sorted. Is the other drive dead?

Not sure yet. I'll. Put it in a caddy and plug it into the laptop and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Picked one of these up.

Total Saorview noob here but what I do once I’ve hooked up the powered antenna to find the Saorview channels. I’ve tried the the cable scan but it just shoulds Scanning Failed.

Any tips? Manual isn’t too informative.

• Advertisement

Do you know where your Saorview signal is from? There's a list of transmitters in the search signal section

quarryman wrote: »
    Picked one of these up.

Total Saorview noob here but what I do once I’ve hooked up the powered antenna to find the Saorview channels. I’ve tried the the cable scan but it just shoulds Scanning Failed.

Hold on. Manual? Where did you buy this? Most of us here have a custom software called Enigma 2 on ours. The manual is for the default OS this box ships with

Do you know where your Saorview signal is from? There's a list of transmitters in the search signal section

I don't, I'll take a look. To test the antenna I plugged it into my TV (which has a terrestrial tuner) and it found all of the Saorview channels, so the antenna is not the issue.
    Hold on. Manual? Where did you buy this? Most of us here have a custom software called Enigma 2 on ours. The manual is for the default OS this box ships with

I bought mine from here:
    https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/tiviar-alpha-plus

I went for the OpenATV OS. What I mean by manual is the PDF I found online for the unit, since there was no manual in the box.

I bought mine from here:
    https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/tiviar-alpha-plus

I went for the OpenATV OS. What I mean by manual is the PDF I found online for the unit, since there was no manual in the box.

It's a basic clean install, you have a huge learning curve trying to get to grips with Enigma and have lots to configure, tuners, channels, bouquets, Epg, picons, recordings. You could just install my image backup which has most of the basics already configured for you. Would make it much easier to troubleshoot your issues as there are many of us running the same image. Most of the issues have already been dealt with in this thread.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106783394&postcount=126

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭greasepalm

on your cable scan what is it showing to show your on the dvb/t side and not on dvb/c side?

You can check your transmitter here, then select it when doing the DVB/T scan

https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/coverage

All seems good thanks. My wife is sitting down tonight with it for the first time so she has the remote for the next hour or 2. She's over the moon with the picture quality. We'd been using an old sky plus box through scart for the last few months.

Not sure about the other drive. I plugged it in to two different laptops and it's not showing. Maybe that's because it's formatted in Linux. The light flashes and comes on in the caddy and I tried another drive in it and that showed straight away.

One question re. sound
    I'm using a soundbox I got in Lidl with an optical cable rather than the TV speakers. Are there any settings I can change to suit that or should I leave it alone?

Picked one of these up.

From a previous post by THHB

).
    Change your Saorview region in menu -> setup -> service searching -> AutoBouquetsMaker -> providers -> saorview area, then press green to save and then start a scan

It's a basic clean install, you have a huge learning curve trying to get to grips with Enigma and have lots to configure, tuners, channels, bouquets, Epg, picons, recordings. You could just install my image backup which has most of the basics already configured for you. Would make it much easier to troubleshoot your issues as there are many of us running the same image. Most of the issues have already been dealt with in this thread.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106783394&postcount=126

Thanks for that. All set up now. (Though I’m not sure what to do with the Picon files).

Some dumb questions:

what is the quickest way to get to my favourites? When I press FAV on the remote I get to a menu that I have to click Favorites (TV) again to see the channels.

I can live pause the satellite input but can’t seem to live pause Saorview?

Is it possible to get Netflix on this?

Any other tips or advice?

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. All set up now. (Though I’m not sure what to do with the Picon files).

Some dumb questions:

what is the quickest way to get to my favourites? When I press FAV on the remote I get to a menu that I have to click Favorites (TV) again to see the channels.

I can live pause the satellite input but can’t seem to live pause Saorview?

Is it possible to get Netflix on this?

Any other tips or advice?

I have since moved my picons to a usb key as having them on the internal drive causes the hard drive to spin up every time you change channel. Just copy the picon folder to a usb and plug it in, it doesn't need to be initialised, can be in fat32 format.

Channels are organised in groups called bouquets, entertainment, movies, news etc. Pressing fav opens the bouquets menu. Autobouquetmaker if setup scans the satellite daily for frequency changes and updates the channels in the bouquets so you never have a channel missing.

No pause for terrestrial as you only have one terrestrial tuner. This is the reason for two satellite tuners is to allow one tuner to record or timeshift in the background.

No Netflix.

Press blue and do a full backup when you are done, can save a lot of frustration later if you ever need to roll back to a clean install.

Advertisement