Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭greasepalm

On the saorview topic and without starting a new thread aerials to use on these e2 boxes as in outside or attic have they changed in the last say 10 years.Might need to replace one that has a booster for multiroom?
    I can see a number of people might benefit this new info cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

quarryman wrote: »

what is the quickest way to get to my favourites? When I press FAV on the remote I get to a menu that I have to click Favorites (TV) again to see the channels. .........

Pressing the UP or DOWN buttons around the OK button on many remotes will bring up the current bouquet. Using the LEFT/RIGHT buttons with a bouquet open jumps up or down a page.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

No pause for terrestrial as you only have one terrestrial tuner. This is the reason for two satellite tuners is to allow one tuner to record or timeshift in the background.

Ah ok. If I plug both my satellite feeds in it should pick them up and allow pause for those channels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

greasepalm wrote: »
    On the saorview topic and without starting a new thread aerials to use on these e2 boxes as in outside or attic have they changed in the last say 10 years.Might need to replace one that has a booster for multiroom?
    I can see a number of people might benefit this new info cheers.

Lots has changed in the last 10 years, there was a rollout of Saorview. The whole country upgraded and adapted their equipment to suit. This thread is not the place for these questions though as every location has a different set of requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tkeogh.

greasepalm wrote: »
    usb or hdd need to setup for ext 3- ext4 as thats the correct protocol for recordings.
    i have a usb in my box so how do i go about setting up the usb so that the recordings go to the usb?

• Advertisement

tkeogh. wrote: »
    i have a usb in my box so how do i go about setting up the usb so that the recordings go to the usb?

Initialise the usb in storage devices and then set your default recording location to /media/usb/movie in recording and timeshift

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tkeogh.

cheers mate, where will i find where storage devices is?

tkeogh. wrote: »
    cheers mate, where will i find where storage devices is?

I'm out and about so don't know the exact location, off the top of head it's something like menu -> setup -> system -> storage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

One issue I’m currently having is that (after programming the remote to control the TV) that when I press power in STB mode the box and TV turn off. Is it not possible for just the box to turn off?

quarryman wrote: »
    One issue I’m currently having is that (after programming the remote to control the TV) that when I press power in STB mode the box and TV turn off. Is it not possible for just the box to turn off?

You need to disable hdmi CEC. Not sure where exactly you do that as I'm not in front of the box. Hdmi CEC is a protocol that allows the control of devices over hdmi. I have a Harmony remote so have it disabled on everything I own because it gets in the way. Doing it on the TV would also sort it, manufacturers call it different names, LG call it Simplink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Have been changing my satellite cables and HDMI between my sky box and my Tiviar this last few weeks, so my wife can watch her recordings on SKy before it cuts off and we can familiarise ourselves with this box, so have not got to recording anything yet.

When we do change it will be no going back, so want to know exactly what I can do.
    So basically, couple of quick questions:
    Can i record 2 x programmes from the 2 x satellite tuners and watch Saorview channel at the same time?
    Can i record 2 x programmes from the 2 x satellite tuners and watch another recording at the same time?
    Can I live pause a Satelite channel when other things are recording?
    I know I cant live pause Saorview channels but can I record from both satellite tuners and a saorview tuner at the one time?
    If yes, am I able to watch anything else ( a recording or otherwise ) while this is happening?
    Also Can I watch anything from Plugins while I have 2/3 recordings happening?

Sorry for the questions, I assume they are easy answers for experienced users.
    Also while I have been changing the leads back and forth I found the Tiviar box very very hot, especially at the back, is this normal?
    Is it normal to leave it on Standby or Deep Standby over night, to ensure any recordings are scheduled?

Other than that I find it a great box, great picture and the IPTV plugin i have is very good.

JB

JB81 wrote: »
    Have been changing my satellite cables and HDMI between my sky box and my Tiviar this last few weeks, so my wife can watch her recordings on SKy before it cuts off and we can familiarise ourselves with this box, so have not got to recording anything yet.

When we do change it will be no going back, so want to know exactly what I can do.
    So basically, couple of quick questions:
    Can i record 2 x programmes from the 2 x satellite tuners and watch Saorview channel at the same time?
    Can i record 2 x programmes from the 2 x satellite tuners and watch another recording at the same time?
    Can I live pause a Satelite channel when other things are recording?
    I know I cant live pause Saorview channels but can I record from both satellite tuners and a saorview tuner at the one time?
    If yes, am I able to watch anything else ( a recording or otherwise ) while this is happening?
    Also Can I watch anything from Plugins while I have 2/3 recordings happening?

Sorry for the questions, I assume they are easy answers for experienced users.
    Also while I have been changing the leads back and forth I found the Tiviar box very very hot, especially at the back, is this normal?
    Is it normal to leave it on Standby or Deep Standby over night, to ensure any recordings are scheduled?

Other than that I find it a great box, great picture and the IPTV plugin i have is very good.

JB
    YES to all of the above.

The only thing to keep in mind is if you are streaming a channel to another device around your home, that will occupy a tuner for the duration. E.G. if someone was watching BBC elsewhere in the home, you will only have one satellite tuner free to watch or record with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Is it a limitation on the box or tuner that you cannot live pause Saorview channels? I've not heard of such a limitation before. Live pause and rewind work fine on my box for all channels (Saorview and satellite).

Also, when recording from satellite each tuner reads all channels on the transponder so you can record more than 2 satellite channels at a single time as long as those channels are on two transponders. This also means that you can watch other channels on the transponders while there are two recordings in progress.

For example, if you are using both satellite tuners to record something on BBC One HD and Channel 4 HD you can also watch BBC Two HD, CBBC HD (if broadcasting) and 4seven.

The same is true for terrestrial tuners, all channels on the multiplex can be read by a terrestrial tuner at the same time. So with two tuners you can watch or record all of the Saorview channels at the same time.

YES to all of the above.

The only thing to keep in mind is if you are streaming a channel to another device around your home, that will occupy a tuner for the duration. E.G. if someone was watching BBC elsewhere in the home, you will only have one satellite tuner free to watch or record with.

Brilliant thank you, have not planned on any streaming to other devices as of yet.

Have you ever had any issues with the box over heating?

JB

ShaneOC wrote: »
    Is it a limitation on the box or tuner that you cannot live pause Saorview channels? I've not heard of such a limitation before. Live pause and rewind work fine on my box for all channels (Saorview and satellite).

Also, when recording from satellite each tuner reads all channels on the transponder so you can record more than 2 satellite channels at a single time as long as those channels are on two transponders. This also means that you can watch other channels on the transponders while there are two recordings in progress.

For example, if you are using both satellite tuners to record something on BBC One HD and Channel 4 HD you can also watch BBC Two HD, CBBC HD (if broadcasting) and 4seven.

The same is true for terrestrial tuners, all channels on the multiplex can be read by a terrestrial tuner at the same time. So with two tuners you can watch or record all of the Saorview channels at the same time.

Thanks for the info, it was only mentioned above in this thread about not being able to live pause on Saorview, I actually haven't tried it yet, so don't know why, maybe I read it wrong.

JB

Brilliant thank you, have not planned on any streaming to other devices as of yet.

Have you ever had any issues with the box over heating?

JB

I don't have a Tiviar myself, but you could compare them to a mid powered laptop. The processor will get warm when working hard but not excessively so. As long as the vents aren't covered or it's located in a sealed cabinet, I wouldn't expect a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

Hi all,

Got this box, sat and terrestrial channels very good.

I have two problems;

Audio description and subtitles keep coming on after switching from stand by.

Is there a way of turning these off permanently?

If herself has to deal with this I'll be looking for a new place to live.

Thanks in advance.

J

JOSman wrote: »
    Hi all,

Got this box, sat and terrestrial channels very good.

I have two problems;

Audio description and subtitles keep coming on after switching from stand by.

Is there a way of turning these off permanently?

If herself has to deal with this I'll be looking for a new place to live.

Thanks in advance.

J
    MENU>SETUP>AUDIO>AUTO LANGUAGE SELECTION

set language to english
    prefer AC3 to yes
    disable subtitles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Picture in Picture starts everytime i restart the box. Anyway to stop this happening?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

MENU>SETUP>AUDIO>AUTO LANGUAGE SELECTION

set language to english
    prefer AC3 to yes
    disable subtitles

Thanks for the reply Gerry,

I don't seem to have the third option?

But that's working at the moment.

J
    :cool:

• Advertisement

The subtitles bit should be roughly half way down that page.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

THHB . I'm having a bit of a problem with picons. I downloaded =your folder and put them on a mem stick but they never showed up. I downloaded anotther set from a site and they worked fine but there's no saorview on them. Yours came on for a day then disappeared again. Now it's back to the other ones. They're both on the memory stick in seperate folders. I'm guessing there's a setting to select a default picons folder but I can't find it.

By the way I think that other HDD is $hagged. I tried it on the PS4 this evening and it didn't recognise it either. I'm sending it back in the morning.

On the Saorview subject. The other night I started a recording on RTE1, then went to watch something on 2 and it was gone. It and a few others were grayed out in the bouquet list. I'm guessing while you're recording on one MUX you can't watch the other.

sligojoek wrote: »
    THHB . I'm having a bit of a problem with picons. I downloaded =your folder and put them on a mem stick but they never showed up. I downloaded anotther set from a site and they worked fine but there's no saorview on them. Yours came on for a day then disappeared again. Now it's back to the other ones. They're both on the memory stick in seperate folders. I'm guessing there's a setting to select a default picons folder but I can't find it.

By the way I think that other HDD is $hagged. I tried it on the PS4 this evening and it didn't recognise it either. I'm sending it back in the morning.

How can they both be in separate folders on the usb key, they need to be in a folder called picon in the root of the usb, only there will they get picked up, the box won't look in any other location. Thats picon not picons or any other name. There should be a directory called picon that just contains the individual picon images

How can they both be in separate folders on the usb key, they need to be in a folder called picon in the root of the usb, only there will they get picked up, the box won't look in any other location. Thats picon not picons or any other name. There should be a directory called picon that just contains the individual picon images

I thought that was what was on the key. Did it late one night. I just looked in nnow using FZ and found yours and the others in the same folder called Picon. I deleted them all and put just your set in. seems to be working fine now.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

sligojoek wrote: »
    On the Saorview subject. The other night I started a recording on RTE1, then went to watch something on 2 and it was gone. It and a few others were grayed out in the bouquet list. I'm guessing while you're recording on one MUX you can't watch the other.

All channels on the multiplex (MUX) can be read by a terrestrial tuner at the same time. So with two tuners you can watch or record all of the Saorview channels at the same time. If you only have one terrestrial tuner you can only view (record) channels on one multiplex.

If you have the aerial looped through, you can still use the TV tuner to watch one mux while the box records the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

A google search for "Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB" does not yield any sites in Ireland, nor does adding "amazon" to it.

I currently have an out-of-subscription Sky box which I understand is tied to its Astra sat so can't take input from anything else. I get the FTA channels OK there. And a separate dish for Hotbird connected to an old Lidl box which can't handle HD so I can't watch France 24 in French any more.

I'd like to use both dishes with a buy & plug in device, no bothering with Linux installation, putty, whatever.

Sysmod wrote: »
    A google search for "Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB" does not yield any sites in Ireland, nor does adding "amazon" to it.

I currently have an out-of-subscription Sky box which I understand is tied to its Astra sat so can't take input from anything else. I get the FTA channels OK there. And a separate dish for Hotbird connected to an old Lidl box which can't handle HD so I can't watch France 24 in French any more.

I'd like to use both dishes with a buy & plug in device, no bothering with Linux installation, putty, whatever.

What you seek does not exist. This box is available from here but is flashed with enigma 2 software and needs configuring and setting up to suit your own setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I hate that place as always buying from them,i agree you will get to like what an e2 box can do.

Advertisement