Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Wow that was quick.

I did a network test on the box and the IP adress came up the same: 192.168.1.109

I'm not all that au fait with networking stuff. Maybe I should also mention the router is connected to an old router near the TV which is acting as a switch for the TA+ and a PS4

When you say ping the IP, does that mean putting it into the address bar of the browser?

sligojoek wrote: »
    Wow that was quick.

I did a network test on the box and the IP adress came up the same: 192.168.1.109

I'm not all that au fait with networking stuff. Maybe I should also mention the router is connected to an old router near the TV which is acting as a switch for the TA+ and a PS4

When you say ping the IP, does that mean putting it into the address bar of the browser?

I googled how to ping. I got a list of stuff where "Media disconnected" is mentioned a lot and this is at the bottom.
    '192.168.1.109' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

I have it sorted.

I went into the router interface and looked for connected devices and found this in the list.
    10 tiviaraplus 00:1E:B8:0A:CC:74 192.168.1.106 01:38:14

Phone, webif and Filezilla all working again.
    I'm after copying a movie over from the laptop and it worked perfectly .

I just checked the Network Setup again and it's still reading xxxxx.109. Weird.

THanks Thhb for pointing me in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I have it sorted.

I went into the router interface and looked for connected devices and found this in the list.

Phone, webif and Filezilla all working again.
    I'm after copying a movie over from the laptop and it worked perfectly .

I just checked the Network Setup again and it's still reading xxxxx.109. Weird.

THanks Thhb for pointing me in the right direction.

Right, that proves (like I suspected) your router isn't remembering leases and is leasing different IPs after a reboot. It would be best to set a static on the Tiviar. Can you login to your router and look for a a section called DHCP, in there you will see a pool of addresses from which the router allocates, say 1-200 or so. We'll take note of this pool and set a static outside so as not to conflict. Post your findings and I'll advise.

Thanks for that. It'll be after 10 tonight before I get a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

[QUOTE=The high horse brigade;

Thanks high horse downloaded your image, looks very good.

just having 1 issued,
    i scanned channels and epg,
    now all channels are there except for channel 4 and channel 4 +1 and e4,
    everythying else is sound,

any idea why this is blank
    cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭kierc

Great skin i came across and im using if anyone wants to try
    https://www.digital-eliteboard.com/resources/pbmconfluence-hd-skin.2606/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

What use are folks making of this box.
    Do you have them set up in multiple rooms and viewing recordings from the main box?
    Or is just for a combined 7 day epg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭greasepalm

GY A1 wrote: »
    [QUOTE=The high horse brigade;

Thanks high horse downloaded your image, looks very good.

just having 1 issued,
    i scanned channels and epg,
    now all channels are there except for channel 4 and channel 4 +1 and e4,
    everythying else is sound,

any idea why this is blank
    cheers

How many channels scanned in 950? channel 4 is the first on the list on all my sat boxes when scanning starts.

Do you have them set up in multiple rooms and viewing recordings from the main box?

multiple e2 boxes can view any recordings on any box on your network.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

greasepalm wrote: »

What type of boxes have you in the other rooms to view?

Vu solo2,Vu zero,max digital 1000,tm nano se,xtrends 10000 and 8000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

My LG TV can also view the recordings using DNLA. Will be handy for watching for watching Match of the Day early Sunday morning in the kitchen with my small fella

Right, that proves (like I suspected) your router isn't remembering leases and is leasing different IPs after a reboot. It would be best to set a static on the Tiviar. Can you login to your router and look for a a section called DHCP, in there you will see a pool of addresses from which the router allocates, say 1-200 or so. We'll take note of this pool and set a static outside so as not to conflict. Post your findings and I'll advise.

In the router now.
    DHCP server: Enabled
    Start IP address 192.168.1.100
    End IP address 192.168.1.199

In the router now.
    DHCP server: Enabled
    Start IP address 192.168.1.100
    End IP address 192.168.1.199

Give the Tiviar the static IP 192.168.1.99, subnet 255.255.255.0 with the gateway and DNS the ip of the router. Don't bother with the second DNS

AS they say in McDonalds, "I'm lovin' it".

I use it mainly as the sitting room box. After a week the whole family got familiar with the controls. I can watch live TV or a recording on the laptop with headphones while someone else is watching the main TV . My OH can go to bed and catch up on what she wants to watch on an iPad. I've a load of mp3s tunes, on the HDD which can be played through th e sound system.

Give the Tiviar the static IP 192.168.1.99, subnet 255.255.255.0 with the gateway and DNS the ip of the router. Don't bother with the second DNS

Nice one. I'll do that when it's free. A true story american murder is on at the moment I'll have to wait until that's solved.

Edit. Or do I do it through the router?

Nice one. I'll do that when it's free. A true story american murder is on at the moment I'll have to wait until that's solved.

Edit. Or do I do it through the router?

Do it on the Tiviar

Do it on the Tiviar

Sound. I was just going through the DHCP settings on the router and there's a section called "DHCP Address Reservation". I thought that's what you meant.

The TV will be free after 12 , I'll have a go then.

• Advertisement

Not seen 192.168.1.99 as most of the time it would have been 192.168.0 11,might that be to do with vm router.
    I also need to change my wandering ips on a reboot.

Not seen 192.168.1.99 as most of the time it would have been 192.168.0 11,might that be to do with vm router.
    I also need to change my wandering ips on a reboot.

The setting is unique to his setup, don't copy it or you'll be in trouble. Different brands of router use different subnet ranges. Check your router to see what pool it's using and then use an IP outside the pool

I'm in network setup. Where do I go now?

I'm in network setup. Where do I go now?

Look for DHCP server settings

Look for DHCP server settings

Have to hit the sack. Hadfn't a chance to get back to it. I'll try again tomorrow evrning.
    Thanks for taking the time to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭cork_south

After using AA2 for the last 4 years I set my new Tiviar up last night with OpenATV 6.1.

Looks fantastic so far, very responsive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

peking97 wrote: »
    Just a question for some of you knowledgeable guys in here. Are these two boxes very similar or is there any particular reason to prefer one over the other? TIA.

I go the OS Mega when it came out, it was much improved from the AA2 i had.

Lately though it isn't working too good. The box gets very hot and then crashes, it has to be left off for a while to bring it back to life. I've recently flashed a newer image to see if that changes things.

Its a good box, hopefully it was an image problem that i was having.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭GSRNBP

Seems to be on sale now at WoS for anyone looking to buy: https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/tiviar-alpha-plus

GSRNBP wrote: »
    Seems to be on sale now at WoS for anyone looking to buy: https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/tiviar-alpha-plus

That's been the price for ages

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

Got this box this week - have it all set up, runs like a dream, very smooth.

Only issue I have is when I record something and want to watch it back file is not displayed. I press Playlist, but there is nothing there. I can find the files by pressing Green>Media Player>Parent Directory> HDD, but is there an easier way to access, where it shows file size etc?

I assume there is a 1 button access, that I haven't found yet.

I go the OS Mega when it came out, it was much improved from the AA2 i had.

Lately though it isn't working too good. The box gets very hot and then crashes, it has to be left off for a while to bring it back to life. I've recently flashed a newer image to see if that changes things.

Its a good box, hopefully it was an image problem that i was having.

Have you checked fan settings and where is box placed for it to get so hot?

• Advertisement

TheBunk1 wrote: »
    Got this box this week - have it all set up, runs like a dream, very smooth.

Only issue I have is when I record something and want to watch it back file is not displayed. I press Playlist, but there is nothing there. I can find the files by pressing Green>Media Player>Parent Directory> HDD, but is there an easier way to access, where it shows file size etc?

I assume there is a 1 button access, that I haven't found yet.

I use a harmony but I think the DVR button opens the movie directory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Eir sport question related to the Tiviar Alpha+ Plus.

What is needed to use this to watch eir sport, or is it possible?

If I had a sky sub or sky box and card, I would just need to give them the card number and I could watch using the sky box and card. Is there a way of doing this using this box, as it has a card reader? Is there a fta card or something I could get that would work?

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Eir sport question related to the Tiviar Alpha+ Plus.

What is needed to use this to watch eir sport, or is it possible?

If I had a sky sub or sky box and card, I would just need to give them the card number and I could watch using the sky box and card. Is there a way of doing this using this box, as it has a card reader? Is there a fta card or something I could get that would work?

It only works with a Sky box. Johnboy has tried and failed get it working on open source gear, he's posted here before about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭NewClareman

I’ve got the Tv side of the box set up exactly as I want it, helped a lot by this thread.

I now want to play films, stored in a separate location from the recordings. Is there any way I can achieve the following, directly from the box menu:

1. Have a dedicated entry in the EPG front menu for movies.

2. A dedicated button to launch movies.

3. Have the movie menu show film covers and associated description (e.g. from the IMDB).

I’ve been looking at various plugins, that appear to allow this. However, I’m wondering if anyone has got this kind of setup working already?

(I know, thanks to a suggestion on this thread, how to do this with Kodi as the front end. However, I want to do this directly from the box.)

I’ve got the Tv side of the box set up exactly as I want it, helped a lot by this thread.

I now want to play films, stored in a separate location from the recordings. Is there any way I can achieve the following, directly from the box menu:

3. Have the movie menu show film covers and associated description (e.g. from the IMDB).

I’ve been looking at various plugins, that appear to allow this. However, I’m wondering if anyone has got this kind of setup working already?

(I know, thanks to a suggestion on this thread, how to do this with Kodi as the front end. However, I want to do this directly from the box.)

There's nothing of any use. You are better off with an Android box like a Mi Box or Nvidia Shield

Have to hit the sack. Hadfn't a chance to get back to it. I'll try again tomorrow evrning.
    Thanks for taking the time to help.

THHB.

I won't have a chance over the weekend to look at this. Maybe some evening next week if it suits we might revisit it again.

Everything is working fine at the minute and the chance of the router being restarted are minimal. I found out the internet was down in the whole village for half an hour so there was nothing wrong with the router in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭kindalen

Could I use this in my attic to replace my Sky plus box to feed 2 TVs? I have a hdmi splitter and an old external Modulator and TRI-Link and few magic eyes etc?

Thanks.

Looking at the same program in 2 different rooms,who wins control over the remote,box would also need a lan source.Not used your setup so unsure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭swoofer

Can I use other images on this box like Openpli, or Open Blackhole? or Blackhole?

Looking at the same program in 2 different rooms,who wins control over the remote,box would also need a lan source.Not used your setup so unsure.

Basically want it set up to be able to pause program in one room and continue watching in another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

kindalen wrote: »
    Basically want it set up to be able to pause program in one room and continue watching in another.

If you don't mind me saying that is the most ridiculous and unreasonable expectation I have seen of a set top box ever!

If you are talking about live pause it cannot be done without a RF modulator and remote eye.

First off you'll need to go to the setup to define where the movies location is. System, recording, recording paths. Top one is movie location.

1. I don't understand what you are trying to do with the EPG here ? Can you explain it a little better. If its summaries etc see 3 below.

2. In most e2 images you can define any key to do whatever you want it to. It's called hotkey. It's under system, user interface, hotkey.
    Now press the key that u want to set and then go through the list of options that can be asssigned. You are looking for plugins, media player.

3. Plugins. Dowload plugins. Extensions. . Advancedmovieselection. It'll take a while when you run into grab all the covers and tmdb info. It needs configuring as it guesses the movie info from file name.

Playing files from another e2 box or pc and nas is possible,where are yours?

STB. wrote: »
    If you don't mind me saying that is the most ridiculous and unreasonable expectation I have seen of a set top box ever!

If you are talking about live pause it cannot be done without a RF modulator and remote eye.

Have been doing it for years with sky box in attic feeding 2 TVs(also like just the Tv on the wall no stb), suppose am just used to it. I have an RF modulator and remote eyes already, and a tri link.:D

Have been doing it for years with sky box in attic feeding 2 TVs(also like just the Tv on the wall no stb), suppose am just used to it. I have an RF modulator and remote eyes already, and a tri link.:D

And all in glorious SD \o/

We have moved along from analog. This box has HDMI

Then run it through the RF modulator. There's a scart output on the back of the tiviar.

There's a scart output on the back of the tiviar.

So it has. It's so long since I used one I hadn't noticed

And all in glorious SD \o/

We have moved along from analog. This box has HDMI

After a lot of messing about I managed split the sky HDMI to properly feed the 2 TVs in HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

It only works with a Sky box. Johnboy has tried and failed get it working on open source gear, he's posted here before about it.
    Damn - I just ordered one of these boxes and that's going to be an annoying issue. I thought it would have been tied to the card and would have worked. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭NewClareman

First off you'll need to go to the setup to define where the movies location is. System, recording, recording paths. Top one is movie location.

1. I don't understand what you are trying to do with the EPG here ? Can you explain it a little better. If its summaries etc see 3 below.

2. In most e2 images you can define any key to do whatever you want it to. It's called hotkey. It's under system, user interface, hotkey.
    Now press the key that u want to set and then go through the list of options that can be asssigned. You are looking for plugins, media player.

3. Plugins. Dowload plugins. Extensions. . Advancedmovieselection. It'll take a while when you run into grab all the covers and tmdb info. It needs configuring as it guesses the movie info from file name.

I have custom bouquets,, and I wanted to add ‘Movies’ as another entry - it’s not a deal breaker.

I was aware of hotkeys, however what I wanted was a separated hot key to go directly into films.
    I’ve come up with a workable solution, I’m using Media Player for TV recordings and Enhanced Movie Center for films - each with their own hot key. I had already set up separate directories.

I’ll try your suggestion of Advancedmovieselection, when I get my broadband back in the next day, or two. (Moved provider when I left Sky.) Sonething, I suppose the Enhanced Movie Plugin, has populated descriptions for the films, all in German. I cannot find any setting that would cause this.

I’ll be pretty satisfied with what I have, once I get the descriptions working. However, there is a new release of KodiLite for enigma 2 which I’m tempted to try when I have a bit of time. I’ll let you know how I get on, if I go ahead.

Advertisement