Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭GSRNBP

AutoBouquetMaker is configured to add Saorview first and then Freesat category bouquets and is set to automatically run daily (this updates any frequency changes in line with the Saorview and Freesat EPG).

Two questions:

1) Can I change FreeSat to just general FTA so that I can access CH4 HD (etc.) that aren't on FreeSat?

2) Can I have the EPG as all channels (as opposed to having to switch from Saorview to FTA) and numbered like Sky/Virgin - i.e. RTE1 is channel 101, etc.

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

GSRNBP wrote: »
    Two questions:

1) Can I change FreeSat to just general FTA so that I can access CH4 HD (etc.) that aren't on FreeSat?

2) Can I have the EPG as all channels (as opposed to having to switch from Saorview to FTA) and numbered like Sky/Virgin - i.e. RTE1 is channel 101, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, be prepared to get your hands dirty. See this thread
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057900378/2/#post107873156

Yes, be prepared to get your hands dirty. See this thread
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057900378/2/#post107873156
    Cheers - maybe I'm just being slow today, but does that address the first query regarding using FTA (with C4 HD) instead of FreeSat as well?

Cheers - maybe I'm just being slow today, but does that address the first query regarding using FTA (with C4 HD) instead of FreeSat as well?

No, if you want to do that your going into the full custom channel list territory. Autobouquetmaker pulls down and continuously updates the freesat/freeview/Saorview etc list of channels. Of course you do not have to use autobouquetmaker

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

Having been cheesed off with Sky TV for quite some time, I told them to take the high road and I pulled the trigger on getting this box. Got it from WoS, very good price and rapid delivery.

I must say I'm very impressed. Should have done it years ago. I have it setup pretty much bang on now, thanks in no small part to this thread and especially The High Horse Brigade. So thanks all.

I have an issue if you'd indulge me.... I keep having to restart my network whenever I'm using E-Channelizer, FileZilla, PuTTY etc. I tried to assign a static IP as detailed above, but cannot assign a fixed IP outside the range of my router as suggested by THHB.

I logged into my Sky hub router homepage and found the starting and ending IP addresses. There is a section for address reservation - do I need to add the fixed IP I have chosen for the Tiviar here? Do I leave "Use Router as DHCP Server" ticked or unticked? Or do I leave well alone on the router settings and only change settings on the Tiviar?

Then on the Tiviar - I guess I have to set "Use DHCP" to no, type in my chosen IP, and leave all other settings the same (Netmask, Use a gateway, etc. etc.)? I'm a bit out of my depth with network stuff, any advice would be welcome.

I purchased the WiFi dongle from WoS - could it be something to do with this?

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Dutch Roll wrote: »
    Having been cheesed off with Sky TV for quite some time, I told them to take the high road and I pulled the trigger on getting this box. Got it from WoS, very good price and rapid delivery.

I must say I'm very impressed. Should have done it years ago. I have it setup pretty much bang on now, thanks in no small part to this thread and especially The High Horse Brigade. So thanks all.

I have an issue if you'd indulge me.... I keep having to restart my network whenever I'm using E-Channelizer, FileZilla, PuTTY etc. I tried to assign a static IP as detailed above, but cannot assign a fixed IP outside the range of my router as suggested by THHB.

I logged into my Sky hub router homepage and found the starting and ending IP addresses. There is a section for address reservation - do I need to add the fixed IP I have chosen for the Tiviar here? Do I leave "Use Router as DHCP Server" ticked or unticked? Or do I leave well alone on the router settings and only change settings on the Tiviar?

Then on the Tiviar - I guess I have to set "Use DHCP" to no, type in my chosen IP, and leave all other settings the same (Netmask, Use a gateway, etc. etc.)? I'm a bit out of my depth with network stuff, any advice would be welcome.

I purchased the WiFi dongle from WoS - could it be something to do with this?

Cheers.

Leave the router alone. Turn off DHCP on the Tiviar and set the static IP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Any E2 box I've used I had to do it on both. Set it on the router, ie reserve an IP for the device it'll marry it to the Mac address of the device.

On the set top box you also manually need to enter this in the network settings (system network basic settings) When you turn off the DHCP on the box it'll pull up the manual settings to enter.

Note on Eir routers the gateway and DNS is 192.168.1.254 not 192.168.1.1. Netmask is 255.255.255.0 and whatever fixed up you have chosen for the box on the router.

Network test will show that it's grabbing a defined Lan ip rather than a random DHCP alloted one

STB. wrote: »
    Any E2 box I've used I had to do it on both. Set it on the router, ie reserve an IP for the device it'll marry it to the Mac address of the device.

On the set top box you also manually need to enter this in the network settings (system network basic settings) When you turn off the DHCP on the box it'll pull up the manual settings to enter.

Note on Eir routers the gateway and DNS is 192.168.1.254 not 192.168.1.1. Netmask is 255.255.255.0 and whatever fixed up you have chosen for the box on the router.

Network test will show that it's grabbing a defined Lan ip rather than a random DHCP alloted one

Reservation (static DHCP) is doing it router side, leaving DHCP on on device. Static IP is doing it sat box side not using DHCP to get a lease (why it needs to be outside DHCP pool). Either works, you don't need both.

The gateway (route to internet) is always the router IP. This works for DNS also or you can use any public one you want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Just remembered I have to do this myself.

Quick thing while ye're there.

Last night when I tried to watch something on RTE 2 it was greyed out while RTE1 was recording. I understand that they're on different muxes. The thing is I never set it to record on RTE 1 and I wasn't able to stop it. It wasn't showing up in timers. I had to reboot to stop it and there was no recording in the library after. Weird.

No, if you want to do that your going into the full custom channel list territory. Autobouquetmaker pulls down and continuously updates the freesat/freeview/Saorview etc list of channels. Of course you do not have to use autobouquetmaker
    If I use your previous version (https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106678180&postcount=32) will it be the FTA set-up?

Otherwise, is there an alternative to autobouquetsmaker that does the same thing as what you've helpfully posted but with Saorview and FTA instead of Saorview and FreeSat?

• Advertisement

If I use your previous version (https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106678180&postcount=32) will it be the FTA set-up?

Otherwise, is there an alternative to autobouquetsmaker that does the same thing as what you've helpfully posted but with Saorview and FTA instead of Saorview and FreeSat?

There is no FTA list to work off.
    My previous image used Autobouquets, this is similar but it pulls down the Sky list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

sligojoek wrote: »
    Just remembered I have to do this myself.

Quick thing while ye're there.

Last night when I tried to watch something on RTE 2 it was greyed out while RTE1 was recording. I understand that they're on different muxes. The thing is I never set it to record on RTE 1 and I wasn't able to stop it. It wasn't showing up in timers. I had to reboot to stop it and there was no recording in the library after. Weird.

If someone was streaming from the terrestrial tuner it will be occupied just like a timer is using it.

I normally do the opposite. I reserve a fixed address for each (item) box on the router based on its mac address. I don't need to touch the individual boxes/PCs/phones/etc This way I know that item X,Y and z are always on the same address even if the router reboots after a power cut.
    It also adds an extra layer of security stopping unknowns from logging on to my network.

I normally do the opposite. I reserve a fixed address for each (item) box on the router based on its mac address. I don't need to touch the individual boxes/PCs/phones/etc This way I know that item X,Y and z are always on the same address even if the router reboots after a power cut.
    It also adds an extra layer of security stopping unknowns from logging on to my network.

Yeah I do the same on mine. Not all residential routers do static DHCP and they come in so many different types and all have different settings menus. For simplicity and because enigma is the same on every box I detailed how to do it statically on the sat box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

If someone was streaming from the terrestrial tuner it will be occupied just like a timer is using it.

That's possibly it. I'd been looking at the TV guide on the phone app before I turned on the TV. Maybe I triggered something on the phone before I put it down. It had to be my phone because the other 2 devices are still set to IP address .109 instead of the new .106.

Once September comes There will be less demand on the tv and box after 9.00 so I'll get an hour here and there to get more used to it. At the minute It's usually midnight when I get it to myself and I'm either too tired or want to watch something myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 m9934

Hi. I'm using a Tiviar triple tuner with openvix and autobouquets. I've have saorview and freesat UK channels on my EPG. When I search for a programme sometimes a dead channel (one that isn't available) is shown an option to record that programme. As it's not an available channel it does not record. Does anyone know how to remove dead channels from the search feature. As I've already said the dead channels don't show up in my channel lists or EPG. Thanks in advance!

m9934 wrote: »
    Hi. I'm using a Tiviar triple tuner with openvix and autobouquets. I've have saorview and freesat UK channels on my EPG. When I search for a programme sometimes a dead channel (one that isn't available) is shown an option to record that programme. As it's not an available channel it does not record. Does anyone know how to remove dead channels from the search feature. As I've already said the dead channels don't show up in my channel lists or EPG. Thanks in advance!

Do a full scan with clear before scan enabled then run Autobouquets again

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

What should my tuner config be so I can record RTE1/ watch RTE2 or record BBC/watch ITV, etc? At the moment, channels are "greyed out" so I can't watch.

TheBunk1 wrote: »
    What should my tuner config be so I can record RTE1/ watch RTE2 or record BBC/watch ITV, etc? At the moment, channels are "greyed out" so I can't watch.

You can't on Saorview, you can't record RTE 1 and watch RTE 2, they are on two separate muxes and you only have 1 terrestrial tuner.

You will be able to on satellite as you have 2 satellite tuners

TheBunk1 wrote: »

As a workaround, you can watch one Saorview using your TVs own tuner while the box records the other Saorview.

• Advertisement

Reservation (static DHCP) is doing it router side, leaving DHCP on on device. Static IP is doing it sat box side not using DHCP to get a lease (why it needs to be outside DHCP pool). Either works, you don't need both.

The gateway (route to internet) is always the router IP. This works for DNS also or you can use any public one you want

But you do need to go in on the box and set dhcp to off if you want a static address.

I always set my static addresses from the router because webif and oscam IP and port forwarding rules would jump around otherwise and not work.

The router IP addy's on previous routers I've used are 192.168.1.1. A lot of people who dont check or dont understand IP mapping might not realise that on EIR routers its 192.168.1.254.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Hi Lads,

I have 2 coax connections coming into my living room. Can I split one of these in order to give me a 3rd and all of the recording functionality. Or does it need to be an independent coax conneciton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭greasepalm

2 sat feeds into a room might have been used for SKY+HD box,never split a sat feed,if you had a triple or quad tuner it would need its own cable feeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Hi Lads,

I have 2 coax connections coming into my living room. Can I split one of these in order to give me a 3rd and all of the recording functionality. Or does it need to be an independent coax conneciton?

Put satellite signal down one, combine satellite and terrestrial signal on another. Split this signal again down by your tv. This should work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Put satellite signal down one, combine satellite and terrestrial signal on another. Split this signal again down by your tv. This should work

Was it not a third sat signal he asked about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭garra

Gents - Probably the wrong place to ask this but .. Do you have any recommended satellite installers around the Bray area?

Looking at getting complete Satellite solution for 4 separate TVs, satellite & Saorview to be available on all TVs.

I could pick one randomly but would prefer someone who comes recommended and will make a follow up call if necessary and is near Bray. Cheers

Was it not a third sat signal he asked about?

The Tiviar only has 2 sat tuners so I assumed he wanted 2 sat and 1 terrestrial signal down the 2 cables when he asked

Hi Lads,

It depends on what the coax's are carrying and what else you want the third connection for.
    • If the two cables are for Sky Q, then no.
    • If the two cables are for older Sky or Freesat or FTA receivers then yes, but only if the third connection is for Terrestrial use (requires aerial and combiners also).
    • If the third connection is for a third satellite tuner, then no.

I use a Harmony. I'm also not recording on it as it's not my main box

You've been extremely helpful so far and I've got it almost totally set up - two hopefully minor questions if you know:

1) I can't seem to see how to access recordings on the remote?
    2) How do (or can) you set up favourite channels on the Harmony without channel numbers and/or can you set up channel numbers on the FreeSat portion of the EPG?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

You've been extremely helpful so far and I've got it almost totally set up - two hopefully minor questions if you know:

1) I can't seem to see how to access recordings on the remote?
    2) How do (or can) you set up favourite channels on the Harmony without channel numbers and/or can you set up channel numbers on the FreeSat portion of the EPG?

Thanks in advance.

I have the folder button on the original Tiviar remote mapped to the DVR button on the Harmony using the Harmony software but you can get into recordings from the EPG, press Guide.

You can configure favourites on the Harmony, select a basic layout (Freesat Saorview etc) you want to stay with and them manually add more channels and edit the channel numbers. You can even upload icons you find from the net if the channel has none.

I don't actually seem to have numbering at all for channels.

I don't actually seem to have numbering at all for channels.

It's hidden. Open EPG and hit menu and you can enable them to get the numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭kindalen

About to buy one of these. Should I choose OpenViX or OpenATV image?

kindalen wrote: »

Doesn't matter they're pretty similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

kindalen wrote: »

I'd go with The High Horse Brigade's openatv image earlier on this thread.

90% of the set up is done for you, and you can work from there, if you're not familiar with enigma2 boxes.

• Advertisement

UsedToWait wrote: »
    I'd go with The High Horse Brigade's openatv image earlier on this thread.

Mine is based on Openatv btw, I find it slightly better but there's not much in it

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭cork_south

I went for the Open ATV image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭andy1249

I made some picons for the rebranded Virgin channels.
    I just downloaded some images , resized em to 400 x 240 in paint and saved them as PNG.
    if you like em just copy them to your picons folder and reboot the box.
    They have to be named as they are or the box does not pick them up.

Cheers Andy for the picons. Here they are renamed for the other system.

Cheers Andy for the picons. Here they are renamed for the other system.

Thanks for that Gerry.
    I,m new to E2 so I just copied the naming conventions that were in the picon pack that the "the high horse brigade" had in his image link , which was all lower case and no spaces when compared to the other virgin channel picon names.

I have no idea what the "other system" is or how you would work out the names.

• Advertisement

@ andy they are worked out by Service name.

YOu need to symlink them

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91310256&postcount=2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭swoofer

Can someone explain in easy terms how to copy these over to the picon folder?

swoofer wrote: »
    On another note has anyone used the wi fi facility on this box, I'm using the usb thingy I ordered from WOS with box and got it working but it keeps on loosing connection when I change from FTA to say a sports channel. Box is almost sitting on wi fi and speed test says its 30mb down and 28 up. Box recognised it immediately, did not load any drivers. its a 300Mbps wi fi n.

You mean an iptv sports channel?

no an eir sport sd channel

How are you getting Eir sport on this box?

by using oscam and how do i get those new picons to work?

If you have picons on the system hard drive then you need to connect to the box over your home network and copy the files to the picon folder.

You can see the hard drive in windows explorer under network if you have samba enabled on the Tiviar

To enable samba ....Menu>Setup>System ( scroll down, its the last option ) >Network>Cifs/Samba> enable in here.

In windows explorer under network you should see a TIVIARAPLUS
    double click on this , you may have to enter your access details for the box.
    You will see two folders, harddisk and root
    Open harddisk
    You should see a picon folder
    Open this and copy the files into it.

When that is complete, restart the Tiviar box.
    Menu>standby/restart

Picons for the new channels should be in place.

You can also do this through filezilla if you prefer.

Some have their picon folder on a USB stick instead, if so, then the instructions are similar , just copy to the USB stick folder instead.
    Dont forget to restart the box.

no an eir sport sd channel
    by using a softcam

It was my understanding that the use of a card to clear the eir sports channels transmitted via satellite required the use of a paired 'Sky box'.

By what means are the signals arriving at the Tiviar? ..... satellite?

Any details you can provide would be appreciated, thanks.
    Either in this thread or PM as you wish.

It was my understanding that the use of a card to clear the eir sports channels transmitted via satellite required the use of a paired 'Sky box'.

By what means are the signals arriving at the Tiviar? ..... satellite?

Any details you can provide would be appreciated, thanks.
    Either in this thread or PM as you wish.

He's using Oscam to legitimately card share it as he has a valid card. I had thought sky had stopped that but it's possible they made no changes affecting Eir Sport as they don't care. I didn't realise this was still available to card share

He's using Oscam to legitimately card share it as he has a valid card. I had thought sky had stopped that but it's possible they made no changes affecting Eir Sport as they don't care. I didn't realise this was still available to card share

I have no idea how that works TBH, as I never ventured into that area.

Does the Sky card have to reside in and be paired with a Sky box for this to work?

I have no idea how that works TBH, as I never ventured into that area.

Does the Sky card have to reside in and be paired with a Sky box for this to work?

No, Oscam was a well used emulation protocol, it's a server client setup but you can probably run both server and client on the Tiviar. You'll need to have a Google, there are plenty of guides on the sites

No, Oscam was a well used emulation protocol, it's a server client setup but you can probably run both server and client on the Tiviar. You'll need to have a Google, there are plenty of guides on the sites

It was my understanding that such emulation was defeated/blocked by Sky requiring pairing of card to physical box.

I do not wish to get on the wrong side of the mods so I guess I should drop this line of questioning ;)

It's pity, because most of the info on line presumes the reader has a lot of the basics already, which I am lacking :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement