Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

JB81 wrote: »
    It

I thought i did. See screenshots attached, any ideas if i am doing something wrong?

I just can't seem to get my head around the timers. There was one thing set to record on ITV and nothing else, and the box jumped to that channel and I couldn't watch anything else. It was the only thing recording.

When setting up an autotimer you pick a start and end time for the box to look for matches, so i was wondering if two autotimers were being looked for at the same time would this use up a tuner? This may not be making sense?!!

Also is there any way to see where the conflicts are?? if message comes up saying there is a conflict?

Also not able to live pause on some things? Is this normal?

Sorry for all the problems, would appreciate it if someone could help.

You've got two cables from your dish going into the box, right? One to each tuner? If so, I'd try setting up the tuners again - unless you're doing something complicated I don't think they need to be on 'Advanced' mode. I'd set it to Auto for both tuners and see if you get anywhere. What image are you using on the box?

Everything you've described with the timers and it jumping to a channel and not letting you watch anything else, suggests only one tuner is configured correctly (or only one has a signal).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

You've got two cables from your dish going into the box, right? One to each tuner? If so, I'd try setting up the tuners again

IIRC, the two sat input tuners weren't as you'd expect on the box i.e. not right beside each other - I'd check the back of the box again...

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

You've got two cables from your dish going into the box, right? One to each tuner? If so, I'd try setting up the tuners again - unless you're doing something complicated I don't think they need to be on 'Advanced' mode. I'd set it to Auto for both tuners and see if you get anywhere. What image are you using on the box?

Everything you've described with the timers and it jumping to a channel and not letting you watch anything else, suggests only one tuner is configured correctly (or only one has a signal).

Thanks for that, im using the image from above in this thread. I havent changed anything. Ill try signal finder to see what im getting. Cheers

Swap your feeds or use signal finder to make sure you have a signal on both cables. Make sure you're got them connected to the right ports

Will try signal finder thanks.,

Will try signal finder thanks.,

So, switched them around and also checked with signal finder ( 90% on both ), so looks ok to me.
    When setting up autotimer there is a start time and end time for searching ( not start and finish time of the programme itself ) and i was wondering would this be using up a tuner? So if i had a programme to record at 9pm but the autotimer was set to search for a match from 7pm to 10pm, would this use a tuner?

Also do you know if there is any way to see where the conflicts arise, as it only puts up a message to say there is a conflict at the moment?

Thanks
    JB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

To check that the tuners are working and getting a signal
    MENU>SETUP>SERVICE SEARCHING>SIGNAL FINDER>
    Use left-right buttons to select either tuner. Both should have the same readings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

So, switched them around and also checked with signal finder ( 90% on both ), so looks ok to me.
    When setting up autotimer there is a start time and end time for searching ( not start and finish time of the programme itself ) and i was wondering would this be using up a tuner? So if i had a programme to record at 9pm but the autotimer was set to search for a match from 7pm to 10pm, would this use a tuner?

Also do you know if there is any way to see where the conflicts arise, as it only puts up a message to say there is a conflict at the moment?

Thanks
    JB

Search does not use a tuner, it searches the EPG.

To check that the tuners are working and getting a signal
    MENU>SETUP>SERVICE SEARCHING>SIGNAL FINDER>
    Use left-right buttons to select either tuner. Both should have the same readings.

Yeah done that and both reading the samel. Both tuners seem to be working ok.

Ah well, Ill soldier on.

Yeah done that and both reading the samel. Both tuners seem to be working ok.

Ah well, Ill soldier on.

Menu -> setup -> recording and timeshift -> recording settings -> make sure preferred tuner for recordings is disabled

Menu -> setup -> recording and timeshift -> recording settings -> make sure preferred tuner for recordings is disabled

Yeah it is as well.

Just out of curiosity what is timeshift?

• Advertisement

Just noticed you have tuner A set as "advanced". Why?
    "Simple" should be Ok with tuner B set as "equal to A"

Not sure this will help your current issue but...

Just noticed you have tuner A set as "advanced". Why?
    "Simple" should be Ok with tuner B set as "equal to A"

Not sure this will help your current issue but...

I have never changed that, it was set like then when I flashed the image from THHB. Like you say, I don't think it is affecting my current issue anyway... cheers

Yeah it is as well.

Just out of curiosity what is timeshift?

Timeshift is pause and rewind live TV

If I were you, I'd start from scratch at this stage. Flash a new image to the box and see how you get on. I personally use OpenATV, and it's not too difficult to set up from scratch if you aren't afraid to do a bit of tinkering. The other benefit is that you'll know exactly how everything is set up.

I have OpenATV and I haven't really touched any settings myself.

Example from last night.
    Herself had auto timers set up for Emerdale from 7pm to 8pm and Corrie from 8pm to 9pm, both on ITV which was fine.
    She also had Love Island on ITV2 from 9pm to 10pm. Which was also ok. Nothing else recording at 9pm.

I went on to BBC1 NI and set a timer for the Argentina match from 6.30 to 9.30 i think. And there was a conflict.

I would only ever had 2 things recording at any one time.

So I thought about it and I changed the end time of the football timer to 20.59.
    And this did not come up with conflict.
    So I think as Corrie was finishing at 9pm, and Love Island was starting at 9pm, and the football was still on at 9pm, this meant there was 3 recordings at that single point. Would I be right??

Gonna play around with it again, and see what would have happened at 9pm if i had left all timers on!

I am having problems getting my Saorview signal sorted, not a problem with the Tiviar, its a aerial/signal issue. So once I get this sorted I can be watching football and other things on Saorview so it won't be a major issue. But just trying to figure it out...

JB

I have OpenATV and I haven't really touched any settings myself.

Example from last night.
    Herself had auto timers set up for Emerdale from 7pm to 8pm and Corrie from 8pm to 9pm, both on ITV which was fine.
    She also had Love Island on ITV2 from 9pm to 10pm. Which was also ok. Nothing else recording at 9pm.

I went on to BBC1 NI and set a timer for the Argentina match from 6.30 to 9.30 i think. And there was a conflict.

I would only ever had 2 things recording at any one time.

So I thought about it and I changed the end time of the football timer to 20.59.
    And this did not come up with conflict.
    So I think as Corrie was finishing at 9pm, and Love Island was starting at 9pm, and the football was still on at 9pm, this meant there was 3 recordings at that single point. Would I be right??

Gonna play around with it again, and see what would have happened at 9pm if i had left all timers on!

I am having problems getting my Saorview signal sorted, not a problem with the Tiviar, its a aerial/signal issue. So once I get this sorted I can be watching football and other things on Saorview so it won't be a major issue. But just trying to figure it out...

JB

You might be on the right track there. Overlapping timers can cause conflicts. I have my box set up to auto record a few minutes on either side of the set program too, so for example 7-8 on mine would actually be 6.57 to 8.03. Worth checking if yours is set up that way too.

You might be on the right track there. Overlapping timers can cause conflicts. I have my box set up to auto record a few minutes on either side of the set program too, so for example 7-8 on mine would actually be 6.57 to 8.03. Worth checking if yours is set up that way too.

I have mine set at zero minutes before and at the end. So records 7-8 only. To try and stop the conflicts. If I could set it at minus one at the end i think my problem would be solved. So record from 7 - 7.59, Barring herself possibly missing a minute of live island ( God forbid ).

Jb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Yes overlapping times can have an effect and sometimes if there is a +1 or on later one can set a new recording so as not to clash.

Anyone else have issue recently with itv and itv+1 disappearing of the EPG?
    What's the easiest way to relook for them. An arithmetic scan or could I reload last backup? Don't want to lose any timers

Anyone else have issue recently with itv and itv+1 disappearing of the EPG?
    What's the easiest way to relook for them. An arithmetic scan or could I reload last backup? Don't want to lose any timers

Use autobouquetmaker, select a mainland UK Freesat region to get ITV (NI will get UTV)
    You can also find it in all channels and add it to favourites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Would this still be the best box to go for? Got rid of sky a few weeks ago. Just looking for pause/rewind, record and all channels together. Can't pick up saorview here so would have to look at a new dish for that but I'm not pushed atm.

Use autobouquetmaker, select a mainland UK Freesat region to get ITV (NI will get UTV)
    You can also find it in all channels and add it to favourites

Seems to be sorted, thanks.

Is your EPG working properly at moment. On ITV the football is normally on around 6.30pm, which is grand and I have it recording. But it shows a different programme on at 7pm and at 8pm etc..( soaps or something else? ), and because herself has soaps on autotimer, it picks this up, but the football is actually still on, so it is recording the football twice.
    Not a big deal I just found it weird. Would it have something to do with the ITV regional channels not all showing the football. I think I have mine set at ITV London?

Was just wondering

Thanks
    JB

Did they change the advertised program and not tell ya,sometimes this may happen if you used an old epg download,deleting epg and downloading again should bring new data up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭andy1249

I ordered one of these boxes and it arrived yesterday.
    Spent the whole day setting it up.
    Thanks to The High Horse Brigade for the flash image , would have been lost without it as I'm totally new to Enigma2

This box is replacing a Humax 1000s which no longer sees the hard drive , fault is not the hard drive but some component on the mainboard , a problem that Humax refuse to acknowledge.

Got satellite recordings working almost straight away after flashing THHB image.
    Could not get any Saorview channels.

The catch here is that you must know your transmitter.
    I didn't.
    The Saorview coverage chart insists that for Celbridge , Wicklow Kippure is the transmitter.
    That doesn't work when its set as the saorview area for me.

I have a Triax 212 for Saorview , which was working fine.
    Got the frequencies of the channels from the info button on this , which were 546 and 570 Mhz.
    Got a table of frequencies vs channels for Saorview.
    Those frequencies are channels 30 and 33
    The only transmitters with those freq/channel numbers are Donegal and Dublin Three Rock.
    Stuck in Dublin 3 rock.
    Scanned Autobouquetmaker and Bingo , were up and running.

I changed UK freesat region to London as cannot stand UTV

I have to say , this box is fast to boot up , comes straight on to the last channel viewed , the humax has a couple of minutes of waiting because it insists on slowly showing you the freesat logo unfolding.
    The picture is equally as good as the humax , maybe better on some channels.
    Of Course , having Saorview and Sat on one box is excellent.

Something I noticed last night whilst on my main PC.
    W10 sees the box in networks and I can see the hard drive contents.
    Very useful.

@andy1249
    another useful feature is the web interface, webif. If you put the box network address (192.168.xxx.xxx) into any web browser on your network, you will be able to control the box and stream both live and recordings around your home.

Gerry is holding out as you can type strange messages on pc to appear on tv while friends are over.

Ive got everything set up including my Harmony remote.
    Brilliant box.

Only one issue to sort.
    Picons are installed but are only showing on info button and on the panel when I press OK, the one that shows when you change channels.

They are not showing in the epg like some of the screenshots on here.
    Is that some setting I need to change?
    Thanks.

Never mind .... got it.
    After an age of googling it seems the solution was far too simple to be commonly posted.
    After you copy the "picon" folder to where it needs to be on the hard drive, you need to restart the box.
    Menu > standby/restart .... simple as that.

Seems to be sorted, thanks.

Is your EPG working properly at moment. On ITV the football is normally on around 6.30pm, which is grand and I have it recording. But it shows a different programme on at 7pm and at 8pm etc..( soaps or something else? ), and because herself has soaps on autotimer, it picks this up, but the football is actually still on, so it is recording the football twice.
    Not a big deal I just found it weird. Would it have something to do with the ITV regional channels not all showing the football. I think I have mine set at ITV London?

Was just wondering

Thanks
    JB

Saw this last night during the england v croatia match on ITV london HD.
    Earlier that day the EPG showed a number of programs related to the match, i.e. build up , then the match, then reaction etc.
    I set them to record.

As soon as the match started the epg changed and showed emmerdale , coronation street etc.

The match still recorded no problem , just the epg info was incorrect.

• Advertisement

andy1249 wrote: »
    Saw this last night during the england v cratia match on ITV london HD.
    Earlier that day the EPG showed a number of programs related to the match, i.e. build up , then the match, then reaction etc.
    I set them to record.

As soon as the match started the epg changed and showed emmerdale , coronation street etc.

The match still recorded no problem , just the epg info was incorrect.

Yeah same here. However herself had emerdale and corrie on autotimer as well so was recording those as they were on the EPG ( it was actually recording the match ) and I was recording the match and then there was a conflict with Love Island - WAR....lol

Advertisement