Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I’m still having cooling issues. The box seems to heat up enough to force the fan to pick in but does it in bursts that is getting irritating.

I’ve ssh’d in and can read then fan PWM value as it compensates for the temperature but can’t figure out a way to get it to adjust properly rather than repeated blast cooling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Where is box placed as it sounds as its not getting enough air?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I've been getting this some mornings after switch on. Strange as there don't seem to be any problems with Saorview. Has anyone any ideas what's causing it?

455664.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

sligojoek wrote: »
    I've been getting this some mornings after switch on. Strange as there don't seem to be any problems with Saorview. Has anyone any ideas what's causing it?

455664.JPG

That was me for the first few days , I had the wrong Saorview area in the Autobouquetmaker setup menu.
    I had to do a bit of detective work to find the right one.
    See post 507 above.
    The Saorview coverage site says I,m on wicklow kippure , but where I am an autotune of saorview puts me on dublin three rock.

Thanks Andy. I don't think that's the problem. I'm just 10 km from Truskmore as the crow flies and I can see it from my back door. It's showing 100% signal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Thanks Andy. I don't think that's the problem. I'm just 10 km from Truskmore as the crow flies and I can see it from my back door. It's showing 100% signal.

Just saying , if you have another saorview receiver or Saorview TV you can get the frequencies off it and make sure using this pdf.

The last page shows channels and frequencies and the first shows what channels come from what transmitter.

http://www.2rn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/2RN-DTT-Television-Transmission-Network-Nov-2013.pdf

Maybe, like me , there's a possibility that another transmitter has a stronger signal in your exact spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭lgs 4

It could be Freeview co-channel interference from anywhere.I get Freeview from Scotland without an amp, just an aerial in the attic. It's hit and miss. I am in Tallaght. Could be the answer.

Sometimes the abm info changes and it needs updating ,what version of abm are you running as deleting bouquets updating abm and rerunning scan can fix that issue.
    Elsewhere many users of other methods abm would fail as the channel abm used before had changed and no longer worked hence the issue.

Thanks for the answers lads.
    I'm just sitting down to it now.
    I'm very close to Truskmore and can get a signal with the arial on the floor. I doubt there's anything interfering with it. Here's my config.

455807.jpg

• Advertisement

Another problem. The box has gone silent and the remote plus or minus volume won't work on the remote or the Tellymote app.Eerything else is working fine. The light flashes on the box when I try to turn the vol up or down with the remote or phone app. There is no Volume graphic coming up on the screen either.

Is that on all channels box is silent,power off tv and box and recheck hdmi is fully inserted then power on both,unsure if audio settings in menu do anything,but previous times if box had a bug a reboot cleared it.

greasepalm wrote: »
    Is that on all channels box is silent,power off tv and box and recheck hdmi is fully inserted then power on both,unsure if audio settings in menu do anything,but previous times if box had a bug a reboot cleared it.

A few strange things are happening.
    I normally have the TV on mute and play sound from the box to a soundbar via optical.
    I turned it off and plugged it out this evening and restarted it and it's the same.

THe Vol + or - buttons do nothing. the light flashes on the box but nothing happens.

When using the TV speakers the only channels I have sound on are the ones that are HD and DD enabled so after CH5 on my FAV list it goes silent.

THen tonight I'm getting this error.

455873.jpg

Think that error might be to do with hdd or usb not setup to ext3-ext4 which is what mounts use?
    Might have to reflash with another image if their is a bug stored?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Initialise your hard drive again

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ParSec

Thinking of buying one of these boxes based on this great thread. What would be a good sata 2.5" hard-drive (make & model) and where to buy for self install? Spoke with WOS and they said they put a HGST/Hitachi hard-drive in them for £60. How much hd space, dose a standard film take up? Also, if I want picons, I'll need a USB stick. What is the best size, make, model and where to buy? Thanks in advance.

Initialise your hard drive again

I'm assuming this will wipe all my saved movies etc. Do you think that will solve my volume control problem as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

ParSec wrote: »
    Thinking of buying one of these boxes based on this great thread. What would be a good sata 2.5" hard-drive (make & model) and where to buy for self install? Spoke with WOS and they said they put a HGST/Hitachi hard-drive in them for £60. How much hd space, dose a standard film take up? Also, if I want picons, I'll need a USB stick. What is the best size, make, model and where to buy? Thanks in advance.

You don't need a separate USB for picons. They can go on the HDD. As a rough guide allow 4GB per hour of HD recording.

A format will erase anything on hdd or usb,Initialise is to make it the correct language for box to work better.
    No i doubt it will fix volume issues as that is in on image.
    Just to be clear your picture is not on zoom setting where volume is off screen because picture is blown out of proportions?

greasepalm wrote: »
    A format will erase anything on hdd or usb,Initialise is to make it the correct language for box to work better.
    No i doubt it will fix volume issues as that is in on image.
    Just to be clear your picture is not on zoom setting where volume is off screen because picture is blown out of proportions?

Thanks gp. No. I used the virtual remote on Openwebif tonight and that's working fine and playing into the soundbar via optical or Red/White to 3.5mm aux cable. The Vol graphic is fine on the tv. It's just when I use the remote or phone app that nothing happens. I went into "Button settings but there's no options for the vol + or - ones.

If I reflash with THHB's image will I have to set up favourite lists again or is there a way of backing them up first?

• Advertisement

You can make a copy of your image to save on hdd if you want to go back and use it in 6 months later,anytime i reflash box i setup fresh with no settings restore as its good practice to get to know your box.
    You can after new image is loaded the wizard should see your previous image and ask if you want to restore settings and plugins and saying yes will load your lists saving you setting up from scratch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrxNr1WlSHE

that was an old vix image saving to hdd.

On openATV press the BLUE button to make backups of your settings or the entire image. You can also download and flash a new image, update your existing one or restore a previous backup of settings or image.

If I reflash with THHB's image will I have to set up favourite lists again or is there a way of backing them up first?

It's possible to backup your settings first. However in your case it's possible there is a corrupt or incorrect setting somewhere. Making a backup now and reinstalling it might just restore the fault.
    You can also use "drreamexplorer" to make copies of the favourites lists. Look in /etc/enigma/ for a file called "userbouquet.favourites.tv". If you have several bouquets they will have similar names "userbouquet.xxxx.tv" Also copy the file "bouquets.tv"
    Likewise the radio favourites will be "userbouquet.favourites.radio" and "bouquets.radio"

Thanks very much lads. There's someone using the TV at the minute. I'll have a go at that in a while.

It's possible to backup your settings first. However in your case it's possible there is a corrupt or incorrect setting somewhere. Making a backup now and reinstalling it might just restore the fault.
    You can also use "drreamexplorer" to make copies of the favourites lists. Look in /etc/enigma/ for a file called "userbouquet.favourites.tv". If you have several bouquets they will have similar names "userbouquet.xxxx.tv" Also copy the file "bouquets.tv"
    Likewise the radio favourites will be "userbouquet.favourites.radio" and "bouquets.radio"

Yeah. That was what I was afraid of. I'll do a fresh flash of THHB's image and if the volume is working OK I don't mind. I can re-customise everything else afterwards.

One more thing . Will my timers be lost too ?

I got it sorted. I googled the problem with "Enigma 2" in the search rather than "TA+". On one forum for another type box someone suggested disabling HDMI CEC. I did that and it worked. I can only guess that the other night when I had a few pints down I might have changed a setting in there .

Note to self: Just watch TV when you're drunk.

THanks for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated.

ParSec wrote: »
    Thinking of buying one of these boxes based on this great thread. What would be a good sata 2.5" hard-drive (make & model) and where to buy for self install? Spoke with WOS and they said they put a HGST/Hitachi hard-drive in them for . How much hd space, dose a standard film take up? Also, if I want picons, I'll need a USB stick. What is the best size, make, model and where to buy? Thanks in advance.

Hi ParSec. I've had one for the last few months and am very happy with it.
    I got this HDD for less than 50e delivered.

Seagate 1TB

Just looking throught random recordings.
    63 mins of Wheeler Dealers in SD is 1.7 GB
    63 mins of The Chase in HD is 3.32 GB
    33 mins of Eastenders in HD is 1 GB
    33 mins of Jamie Oliver in HD is 2.2 GB.

Yeah. That was what I was afraid of. I'll do a fresh flash of THHB's image and if the volume is working OK I don't mind. I can re-customise everything else afterwards.

One more thing . Will my timers be lost too ?

Reflashing removes all your personal settings.

While you have it running the way you like make a backup using the BLUE button. It will save lots of swearing later.;)

Thanks Gerry. I've that done now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭PacMan

I am really interesting in getting one of these, and have one question.
    Can I also hook up Astra 1 at 19 degrees, as there are some TV stations that i would like, in addition to Saorview and Astra 2 (28 degrees)

Would the saorview/astra 2 / astra 1 epg all work together ?

Many Thanks

Advertisement