Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I would also like to know as i know saorview and 28.2 work its the foreign ones what settings need to be included?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

PacMan wrote: »
    I am really interesting in getting one of these, and have one question.
    Can I also hook up Astra 1 at 19 degrees, as there are some TV stations that i would like, in addition to Saorview and Astra 2 (28 degrees)

Would the saorview/astra 2 / astra 1 epg all work together ?

Many Thanks

Yes, but if you add each dish to each satellite tuner A and B you will not be able to watch and record something else on the same satellite. You would need a diseqc switch to do it better allowing you to change satellite on either tuner

https://www.freetv.ie/5x2-diseqc-switch/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Yes, but if you add each dish to each satellite tuner A and B you will not be able to watch and record something else on the same satellite. You would need a diseqc switch to do it better allowing you to change satellite on either tuner

The better option is two DISEQC switches, one on each tuner. That way the box can select any combination to allow recording and viewing from different sats at once.

The better option is two DISEQC switches, one on each tuner. That way the box can select any combination to allow recording and viewing from different sats at once.

Does the 5x2 i linked not allow the same?

Say you had a single switch on tuner A. You start a recording on 19E, the other tuner will only have access to whatever it is wired to, presumably 28E. With 2 switches either tuner can select any of the four sat positions as required.
    For example

TUNER A - SWITCH A
    28E
    19E
    13E
    9E

TUNER B - SWITCH B
    ----28E
    ----19E
    ----13E
    ---- 9E

• Advertisement

Say you had a single switch on tuner A. You start a recording on 19E, the other tuner will only have access to whatever it is wired to, presumably 28E. With 2 switches either tuner can select any of the four sat positions as required.

Does a 5x2 not have 2 diseqc switches for output to 2 tuners giving 19 and 28.2 on each tuner? That is my understanding of it anyway. Looking at the image in the link I posted that looks like the way it is

Ok I didn't look at the link. That's a new one on me:o These clever boyos keep coming up with better and better ideas.

Ok I didn't look at the link. That's a new one on me:o These clever boyos keep coming up with better and better ideas.

Even better is the fact that it looks like it combines terrestrial that can be split out again using a combiner. Handy if you've only 2 cables

Yeah was just looking at that. Very handy. In the past anything I ever used was for 4 sats so never would have seen that unit. Nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Can you answer if why recordings may not work on a diseqc as i see N/A with signal and quality yet a picture is shown.
    i have 28.2,19.2,13 and a motorised feed [ not control ] on tuner b

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭PacMan

Thanks for the info.
    my next project, in the making :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭NewClareman

This thread has prompted me to finally give notice to sky.
    I’ve already decided to buy the Alpha Plus, but I’m wondering about a suitable HDD type and capacity.
    There appears to be plenty options for PVR drives at 3.5, but not at 2.5. Has anyone any suggestions?
    I’m also wondering whether there is any app similar to Kodi for the Open ATV build? If so I’d buy a larger HDD and load my film collection directly to the box.
    Thanks for any input.

This thread has prompted me to finally give notice to sky.
    I’ve already decided to buy the Alpha Plus, but I’m wondering about a suitable HDD type and capacity.
    There appears to be plenty options for PVR drives at 3.5, but not at 2.5. Has anyone any suggestions?
    I’m also wondering whether there is any app similar to Kodi for the Open ATV build? If so I’d buy a larger HDD and load my film collection directly to the box.
    Thanks for any input.

If you buy from World of Sat they will include a 1TB drive for an extra £60
    https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/tiviar-alpha-plus

You are better off with network storage and an Android box for other media

If you buy from World of Sat they will include a 1TB drive for an extra £60
    https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/tiviar-alpha-plus

You are better off with network storage and an Android box for other media

Thanks, THHB, I hadn’t seen the 1TB option - that’ll work grand.

In relation to other media, I’d be fine with network storage. The piece I’d really like to crack is the interface for viewing the films. Is there any option to have something similar to Popcorn time, or it’s ilk? (The idea is to have something as wifey friendly as possible!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

Is there any option to have something similar to Popcorn time, or it’s ilk? (The idea is to have something as wifey friendly as possible!!)

You can't go wrong with Kodi, either running on an Android box, or a Raspberry Pi which is what I use.

Thanks, THHB, I hadn’t seen the 1TB option - that’ll work grand.

In relation to other media, I’d be fine with network storage. The piece I’d really like to crack is the interface for viewing the films. Is there any option to have something similar to Popcorn time, or it’s ilk? (The idea is to have something as wifey friendly as possible!!)

I have the Nvidia Shield TV, an amazing device but very pricey. On it I use Plex, Netflix, Amazon Prime video, YouTube and Kodi. I also use it for gaming making it worth the price.

I have the Nvidia Shield TV, an amazing device but very pricey. On it I use Plex, Netflix, Amazon Prime video, YouTube and Kodi. I also use it for gaming making it worth the price.

What I was really hoping was a front end app for the box itself, accessible from the AlphaPlus menu i.e. like a “movies” tab on the Sky EPG. 🙂

By the way, found a review, that might interest someone: http://www.mytiviar.nl/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Tele-Satellite-Tiviar-Alpha-Plus-Test-Report.pdf

That review is a review of the box on its original OS. These ones are flashed with Enigma OS, will look and behave completely different.

What I was really hoping was a front end app for the box itself, accessible from the AlphaPlus menu i.e. like a “movies” tab on the Sky EPG. 🙂

By the way, found a review, that might interest someone: http://www.mytiviar.nl/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Tele-Satellite-Tiviar-Alpha-Plus-Test-Report.pdf

You could do this the other way around in theory. Kodi has an add-on that can import channels, EPG, recordings, etc from an enigma 2 box.

That review is a review of the box on its original OS. These ones are flashed with Enigma OS, will look and behave completely different.

Yeah, I realise that, but it does give a good indication of what the hardware is capable of.
    Anyway, I’ve just pulled the trigger and I can’t wait to try out your image.

• Advertisement

You could do this the other way around in theory. Kodi has an add-on that can import channels, EPG, recordings, etc from an enigma 2 box.

I’ve played around a little bit with Kodi, but at the moment I’m just looking at a single box solution that is ready to roll when Sky is switched off in 3 weeks time. (I already cast movies directly to the TV using DNLA and also with Chromecast.)

I’ve played around a little bit with Kodi, but at the moment I’m just looking at a single box solution that is ready to roll when Sky is switched off in 3 weeks time. (I already cast movies directly to the TV using DNLA and also with Chromecast.)

That's what I'm suggesting you could try. You'd need two boxes, but everything runs through Kodi. Apart from needing to have the tiviar turned on, you wouldn't really need to use it for much else after initial setup.

That's what I'm suggesting you could try. You'd need two boxes, but everything runs through Kodi. Apart from needing to have the tiviar turned on, you wouldn't really need to use it for much else after initial setup.

If I get you correctly I’d be using the Tiviar as just another backend for Kodi and it could access the bouquets directly. As it happens I do have a Rasberry Pi hanging around somewhere, and I might try that when I have a bit of time. Thanks for the suggestion, I didn’t realise that that was even possible. 🙂

If I get you correctly I’d be using the Tiviar as just another backend for Kodi and it could access the bouquets directly. As it happens I do have a Rasberry Pi hanging around somewhere, and I might try that when I have a bit of time. Thanks for the suggestion, I didn’t realise that that was even possible. 🙂

Yup, that's exactly what I'm suggesting. I do it myself on the tv in the bedroom, to access the satellite box downstairs (not a Tiviar, but should work with any Enigma2 box). If you have a Raspberry Pi 3 it should be a pretty nice user experience too, but any Raspberry Pi should do to try it out I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

Fairly new to this stuff and was looking for advice. I was hoping to purchase 2 of the Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB. What do I need to ask from a satellite installer to provide me with to have them setup to have FTA/Saorview and recording functionality?

py wrote: »
    Fairly new to this stuff and was looking for advice. I was hoping to purchase 2 of the Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB. What do I need to ask from a satellite installer to provide me with to have them setup to have FTA/Saorview and recording functionality?

You need 2x satellite and 1x terrestrial feed. It's also handy to have Ethernet to your broadband network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

You need 2x satellite and 1x terrestrial feed. It's also handy to have Ethernet to your broadband network.

Great thanks for the info. Is that 2x satellite and 1x terrestrial feed per box or that's what the dish should be capable of? (possibly silly/newb questions)

py wrote: »
    Great thanks for the info. Is that 2x satellite and 1x terrestrial feed per box or that's what the dish should be capable of? (possibly silly/newb questions)

Per box. Dish LNBs come in single, double, quad and octo outputs. If you've a few rooms to do or may need them in future you may be best put in a multi switch. Get an installer, they'll advise what's best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

ShaneOC wrote: »
    Is it a limitation on the box or tuner that you cannot live pause Saorview channels? I've not heard of such a limitation before. Live pause and rewind work fine on my box for all channels (Saorview and satellite).

Also, when recording from satellite each tuner reads all channels on the transponder so you can record more than 2 satellite channels at a single time as long as those channels are on two transponders. This also means that you can watch other channels on the transponders while there are two recordings in progress.

For example, if you are using both satellite tuners to record something on BBC One HD and Channel 4 HD you can also watch BBC Two HD, CBBC HD (if broadcasting) and 4seven.

The same is true for terrestrial tuners, all channels on the multiplex can be read by a terrestrial tuner at the same time. So with two tuners you can watch or record all of the Saorview channels at the same time.

I'm planning to buy this box to replace Sky, but concerned about the comments about no timeshift on saorview. Surely if you have no other recordings in progress, timeshift is possible by the box recording onto the hard drive whilst you've paused the TV. I always thought that's how it worked on Sky + box.

Can anyone 100% confirm timeshift simply isn't available on saorview channels?

• Advertisement

I don't have that specific box but can't see any reason why it wont do timeshift. It definitely works on any box I have for Saorview and satellite. The only possible restriction I can think of is someone using a USB stick for storage which just isn't fast enough to read and write a HD channel at the same time.
    The only other restriction with Saorview which applies to most boxes is the fact that Saorview uses two mux frequencies. If your box only has one terrestrial tuner, you will not be able to watch/ record say RTÉ2 and RTÉ1 at the same time. The easiest workaround for this is to watch one show using the TVs own tuner while the box records the other.

Advertisement