Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

I don't have that specific box but can't see any reason why it wont do timeshift. It definitely works on any box I have for Saorview and satellite. The only possible restriction I can think of is someone using a USB stick for storage which just isn't fast enough to read and write a HD channel at the same time.
    The only other restriction with Saorview which applies to most boxes is the fact that Saorview uses two mux frequencies. If your box only has one terrestrial tuner, you will not be able to watch/ record say RTÉ2 and RTÉ1 at the same time. The easiest workaround for this is to watch one show using the TVs own tuner while the box records the other.

Thanks, that's what I thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I've done pause timeshift on sairview channels loads of times. As above I've split the coax and have one cable to the TV and another to the box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

sligojoek wrote: »
    I've done pause timeshift on sairview channels loads of times. As above I've split the coax and have one cable to the TV and another to the box

You shouldn't split, splitting loses half your signal. Instead use the loop out from the box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If along with the terrestrial input you just have 1 satellite input instead of 2 will there be full funcionality besides not being able to record 2+ Sat items at the same time?

If along with the terrestrial input you just have 1 satellite input instead of 2 will there be full funcionality besides not being able to record 2+ Sat items at the same time?

Yes but you'll need to disable the second satellite tuner or you'll have issues.

Why would you not bother with 2 feeds, you can send terrestrial and satellite down a single cable using combiners

• Advertisement
    M

Yes but you'll need to disable the second satellite tuner or you'll have issues.

Why would you not bother with 2 feeds, you can send terrestrial and satellite down a single cable using combiners

I've only 1 free connection from the dish, other 3 are being used. Might have to look at an Octo LNB :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

get a hybrid with 6 and be future proofed!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Why get a hybrid as thats only for sky Q is it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

I’ve bitten the bullet and order one. Quick question, I presume a channel can be in more than one bouquet/group? Like BBC ONE HD in Entertainment and also in a HD group?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I’ve bitten the bullet and order one. Quick question, I presume a channel can be in more than one bouquet/group? Like BBC ONE HD in Entertainment and also in a HD group?

Yeah, No bother. Every channel has an option to "Add to bouquet".

You can also move it up and down in the buquet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

sligojoek wrote: »
    You can also move it up and down in the buquet.

Noobie question here, how do you do that?

Managed to add everything I wanted to favourites using webif, but could not figure out how to move channels up and down the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

andy1249 wrote: »
    Noobie question here, how do you do that?

Managed to add everything I wanted to favourites using webif, but could not figure out how to move channels up and down the list.

The easiest way to move a channel is on the box itself using the remote although it is slow and cumbersome if you want to move a lot of them.
    Use UP/Down to bring up the channel list and BLUE if you need to select another bouquet.
    Press MENU and select ENABLE MOVE MODE.
    Highlight the required channel and press OK.
    Use UP/DOWN to move it and hit OK when in the correct location.
    Repeat as needed.
    When finished remember to hit MENU again and DISABLE MOVE MODE.

You can use a similar process to copy or move channels to another bouquet. You'll see the choices when you hit MENU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭xl500

Hi

Newbi here so bear with me some great info here thanks THHB for posting images

I have a Virgin package at the moment but would like to go to free

I have a sat dish and an octo LNB and in 2 bedrooms I have combo boxes but I would like to now install a box in living room but I really need it to be able to record and series link etc I would need to be able to record an Irish channel and watch another Irish channel at the same time and the same with Sat Channels

If I buy one of the Tiviar Alpha Boxes can I do this or can anyone point me how to be able to do this

Thx
    Xl500

xl500 wrote: »
    Hi

Newbi here so bear with me some great info here thanks THHB for posting images

I have a Virgin package at the moment but would like to go to free

I have a sat dish and an octo LNB and in 2 bedrooms I have combo boxes but I would like to now install a box in living room but I really need it to be able to record and series link etc I would need to be able to record an Irish channel and watch another Irish channel at the same time and the same with Sat Channels

If I buy one of the Tiviar Alpha Boxes can I do this or can anyone point me how to be able to do this

Thx
    Xl500

You can do this by recording with the Tiviar and using the terrestrial loop out to the TV and then watching terrestrial on the TV itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

"Why get a hybrid as thats only for sky Q is it not?"

No, it can be used for sky q and for normal sat, so future proofed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭xl500

You can do this by recording with the Tiviar and using the terrestrial loop out to the TV and then watching terrestrial on the TV itself

Thanks very much I would really appreciate if you could explain the recording capabilities of this Box but please keep it simple things like recording 2 UK Channels if they are on same Mux or whatever goes way over my head just simply what and how many and series link capability etc

Thanks

xl500 wrote: »
    Thanks very much I would really appreciate if you could explain the recording capabilities of this Box but please keep it simple things like recording 2 UK Channels if they are on same Mux or whatever goes way over my head just simply what and how many and series link capability etc

Thanks

The simplest it can be put is. You have 3 tuners, 2x satellite and 1x terrestrial. You can record or watch on each tuner

If you view channels on kingofsat you will see they are in groups using the same info on tp.
    On a vu solo2 i have had 3 recordings on same tp and other tuner had 3 recordings total of 6 at the same time using 2 different tps.

https://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php

recording on 2 different tuners on different tps ties them up and leaves the other one free,having a large externally powered hdd means i can view my recorded programs even if all tuners were recording.I hope that helps.

If a new series was starting say tomorrow on bbc1 hd for unknown how many i can change my recording timer from once to weekly so it records the series and box needs to have epg setup.

Series linking using the "autotimer" plugin is keyword based. Say for example you want to series link "Who Do You Think You Are?" You go to the EPG, highlight the program on BBC1 HD and select the autotimer. The box will display a screen asking to confirm you want to record a show with the exact name "Who Do You Think You Are?" on BBC1 HD every Monday sometime between 20:00 and 23:00
    In the vast majority of cases you simply hit OK and it's set. In other words 2 clicks and it's done.

HOWEVER it is also very versatile and powerful. You can widen the search to include any day(s) during any timespan on any channel or bouquet. You can also specify that the description is unique for each recording. In the above example you could then record both the BBC and RTÉ series. Obviously care must be taken not to widen the parameters too much or you end up recording the BBC version, the RTÉ version, Yesterday version, "W" etc etc
    Another example would be to search for a partial match on "Bake Off" without specifying a day could then record the main "bake off" show and the "extra bits" show.

M

For recordings what format does it use for the files?

• Advertisement

For recordings what format does it use for the files?

They are uncompressed .ts files. VLC and plenty of others play them. As they are uncompressed they are huge, a few GB per hour in HD

M

They are uncompressed .ts files. VLC and plenty of others play them. As they are uncompressed they are huge, a few GB per hour in HD

Yes they are huge, can be easily converted to mp4 though on a PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭c ashelmore

I bought this box in June and it has been rock solid ever since.Well worth the money. The only problem I had was finding a USB that it recognized.It cost £112 delivered. Compare that to the 250E I paid a guy in Laois for a Technomate™ TM-Nano 3T and which has sat on the shelf since as it kept on freezing up intermittently no matter what image I flashed.Disecq is a little tricky to set up but I have 13o 19o and 28o working fine.

Plenty of usb sticks work on the e2 boxes integral,cruzer and kingston to name but a few,i wonder was your epg going to internal flash which will in time give issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Yes, uncompressed top quality transport stream format, which you can easily transfer off the box and play, convert or edit any way you wish.
    Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭liamtech

Hey guys im probably gonna grab one of these - can i ask?

Im aware Openvix will download Sky EPG data via Opentv 28.2

Will OpenATV also accomplish this? ie - provide 7 day EPG data downloaded from the satellite directly? as opposed to needing to download via the internet?

I guess im trying to figure out if i can get this box working with a full 7 day guide without the need for an active internet connection!?

Without Internet, is it possible to install picons?

Thanks in advance guys

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

liamtech wrote: »
    Hey guys im probably gonna grab one of these - can i ask?

Im aware Openvix will download Sky EPG data via Opentv 28.2

Will OpenATV also accomplish this? ie - provide 7 day EPG data downloaded from the satellite directly? as opposed to needing to download via the internet?

I guess im trying to figure out if i can get this box working with a full 7 day guide without the need for an active internet connection!?

Thanks in advance guys

Yes, CrossEPG is the plugin that will download it and save it locally, no need for a net connection

liamtech wrote: »

Thanks in advance guys

Having a network connection makes life much easier even without a web connection. There is a plugin called "dreamexplorer" which is a very basic file explorer which would allow you to access and copy files from a USB stick to the HDD or whatever. This plugin is installed by default on most images.
    Having a network connection also allows remote control and streaming on any web browser on the same network even without a web connection.
    In practice things like software updates etc are very small downloads for limited web access. It's the likes of Youtube or other video that eats your download allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Have had a number of missed recordings now on Satellite Channels.

The program is in the recordings but shows as a black screen and has recorded for 0seconds.

Quite annoying as I have series recorded with missing episodes now.

Anyone experience similar?

One Series on BBC for example has episode 3 and episode 5 in recordings inventory but just had a black screen , file is blank with 0.0Gb. All other episodes recorded correctly.

• Advertisement

Yes i had a few misses as epg was wrong or program was on at a different time and 00.00 in recording.Sometimes program list changes as to what is on epg.

Advertisement